advertisement

Tour de France 2020

andrew d

pfm Member
Starts in Nice next Saturday, 29th August . The tour is normally watched by between 10 and 12 million at the roadside. ASO state that there will be restrictions in place. Normally the big mountains, e.g. Ventoux, are closed very early in the morning but vast crowds think nothing of spending 9-12 hours waiting for the race to by.
The caravan that precedes the race has been reduced in size and is 60% of what it is normally. Many spectators are attracted by the caravan freebies. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...on-safety-measures-for-fans-and-riders-458578
Two positive COVID tests per team, staff and riders will mean elimination. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...f-two-members-test-positive-for-covid-cycling
In a normal year teams take precautions to limit the possibility of infection, e.g. using their own chefs, bedding etc. The tour however dictates which hotels they stay in, it's determined by lottery. Some of these places are very basic and will probably have been in public use up until the teams arrive.
Roglic and Bernal are the bookies favourites. Ineos will face stiff competition from Jumbo-Visma. Already no Froome, Thomas or Cav.
Hoping that this year's Tour is one to remember for all the right reasons.
On ITV4 for those who prefer their TV terrestrial.

Yes, looking forward to it. I should have plenty of time to watch it this year while recovering from surgery.

My worry is that teams could get ejected due to positive testing. Most pro cyclists appear to have respiratory conditions;)

A friend of mine is a director of one of the Grand Tour teams, it's been a mare so far for them with all the planning etc

He was telling me about the "two strike" system and the amount of testing there will be, there'll certainly be potential for a number of teams to have to withdraw and also the tour itself finishing early

let's hope not and as you say, one to remember for the right reasons

FWIW my money is on Bernal (again)

Should it be taking place at all? I love the Tour and have been watching since I was 14 or so but this isn't the year

I think we'll see both riders and staff 'dissapearing' during the tour to avoid team expulsion.

Starts in Nice next Saturday, 29th August . The tour is normally watched by between 10 and 12 million at the roadside. ASO state that there will be restrictions in place. Normally the big mountains, e.g. Ventoux, are closed very early in the morning but vast crowds think nothing of spending 9-12 hours waiting for the race to by.
The caravan that precedes the race has been reduced in size and is 60% of what it is normally. Many spectators are attracted by the caravan freebies. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...on-safety-measures-for-fans-and-riders-458578
Two positive COVID tests per team, staff and riders will mean elimination. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...f-two-members-test-positive-for-covid-cycling
In a normal year teams take precautions to limit the possibility of infection, e.g. using their own chefs, bedding etc. The tour however dictates which hotels they stay in, it's determined by lottery. Some of these places are very basic and will probably have been in public use up until the teams arrive.
Roglic and Bernal are the bookies favourites. Ineos will face stiff competition from Jumbo-Visma. Already no Froome, Thomas or Cav.
Hoping that this year's Tour is one to remember for all the right reasons.
On ITV4 for those who prefer their TV terrestrial.

Oh, thought it’d been cancelled, that’s a welcome surprise, now looking forward to it, thank you.

I'd like to see the Tour go back to national teams - the current funding model is broken anyway and maybe this is the catalyst

I'd like to see the Tour go back to national teams

Brings up the age old problem of loyalty to who is paying you and putting food on the table.

Same sort issue in the Worlds and if memory serves me correctly I think it was the Italian team, quite some time ago, that tried to work on incentives for their riders to work as a nation rather than having one eye on their trade teams.

Watching the Dauphine I was not happy to see the riders taking huge gulps of air going through unmasked spectators.
Hoping for the best and fearing it will fizzle out or be stopped early.
The calendar is crowded to put it mildly.
The major tours in France, Spain and Italy are an unfortunate place to be with their Covid cases.

Wish the boys well of course and hope they stay safe

I can't wait.

It'll be really interesting to see the clash between Jumbo Visma and Ineos. It is a shame, but it did look the right decision to drop Froome and Thomas

And will Sagan have a fight on his hands from Wout Van Aert?

I'd like to see the Tour go back to national teams - the current funding model is broken anyway and maybe this is the catalyst

On the other hand the current system tempers any nationalism, which, at this time in history, is a good thing.

On the other hand the current system tempers any nationalism, which, at this time in history, is a good thing.

I've not witnessed overt nationalism at the world champs. I prefer those races to the one sided races that favour the rich teams

Looking forward to this though I guess it may be a little different to previous years.

I suspect there will be huge crowds as normal.

advertisement

Back