advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just re watched Mindhunter on Netflix very good FBI series about the beginnings of the behavioral science unit. The main characters getting to interview serial killers or sequence killers as they were first known . Some great acting portraying serial killers such as ed kemper , wayne williams and charles manson. Slow burn and character driven. Has the rather splendid Anna Torv in it too which is a bonus.

Ditto. Great show.

It's interesting to note that the actor who played Ed Kemper isn't exactly small at 6ft4, but the real Ed Kemper is much taller, at a huge 6ft9!
The portrayal of him was uncanny, watched a doc on him recently, just a complete sociopath. He did have a pang of conscience though as he handed himself in, not sure the police would have caught him otherwise.

I just watched A Time to Kill on Amazon Prime - the first time in ages I've sat through a 2.5 hour film in one go.

81DJLge1G9L._AC_UY218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
We watched the first 3 episodes of The Wire last night on dvd.

Not sure what I think, it was okay. Wife liked it, right up her C.S.I. alley.

You have to persevere, it starts slow but really builds over the first series. End of series one is utterly heartbreaking. Fantastic performances from the whole cast.
Yes, The Wire takes its time but the five seasons present an unforgettable portrait of a city in crisis, and how that affects characters you get to know and love. Each season focuses on one dimension of the crisis (drug gangs, the port where drugs enter the city, the politicians, the education system, and the media) and the cumulative effect is stunning. I'd rank them, favourite to least favourite, as follows:

Season 2 (the port)
Season 4 (education system)
Season 1 (police and drug gangs)
season 3 (politicians)
season 5 (the media)

Season 5 is marred by somewhat implausble behaviour by one of the main characters, and an element of wish-fulfilment fantasy from David Simon, who used to work for The Baltimore Sun, before he wrote TV drama.

So, to any waverers, stick with it. It's takes a bit of effort, but the rewards are great.

Yes, The Wire takes its time but the five seasons present an unforgettable portrait of a city in crisis, and how that affects characters you get to know and love. Each season focuses on one dimension of the crisis (drug gangs, the port where drugs enter the city, the politicians, the education system, and the media) and the cumulative effect is stunning. I'd rank them, favourite to least favourite, as follows:

Season 2 (the port)
Season 4 (education system)
Season 1 (police and drug gangs)
season 3 (politicians)
season 5 (the media)

Season 5 is marred by somewhat implausble behaviour by one of the main characters, and an element of wish-fulfilment fantasy from David Simon, who used to work for The Baltimore Sun, before he wrote TV drama.

So, to any waverers, stick with it. It's takes a bit of effort, but the rewards are great.
Season 5 is definitely the weakest but still compelling.

The relatively minor characters like Bubbles are so well drawn.

It is the absolute pinnacle of TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back