advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

I'm torn between two loves!

Back in May I ordered LS-25 stereo pair 2.5m with Z plugs <> Spades for 680 GBP, replacing Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval cable.
I liked the sound very much. In August an opportunity to try some Kondo ksl spc came my way and I bought them having hankered for quite a long time.
Long story short, the Kondo are in the system, happy with the sound, ball ache to change back. I'm happy with either EWA or the Kondo TBH but I don't need 2 sets of cable so if anyone would like to buy the LS-25 from me at 550 quid please PM me. Might be a good opportunity for someone who knows what they want.
I'll leave it here rather than classifieds for now as the thread is special interest and not desperate to sell, purely a practical decision.
On the the other hand if someone wanted to buy the Kondo for the same money that would be fine too.

Colin has posted the spec on another site. I too am very interested in what it will look like. Its interesting to read that it outperforms the LS-50. I’ve not heard those either.

The LS50 was a little bit of a crude solution to increasing the LS25 current delivery. Hoping the LS40 is the resolution to the 50s fuglyness. Apparently it’s suppose to outperform the LS50.

Yeah it will be interesting to see and hear. I’m highly confident that Colin Has come up with something hugely impressive again. Maybe @Alan Brown could let us know when we can expect the LS-40s to hit the market?

Just seen a picture of the LS-40 on the drum at the EWA website. Its on their blog. Looks very similar LS-25

I think this might be in PFM Trade Announcements too but just saw over on AOS....posted by Colin Wonfor

"OK a 3M length measure as below:-

Capacitance at 3 metres = 100pF Each single conductor red or black
Inductor on each single conductor is 3.3uH at 3 Metres
Leakage/Common Mode inductance Less Than 0.9uH at 3 Metres
Resonant frequency a single conductor red or black 15MHz at 3 Metres
Total Resonant frequency in normal use i.e. 8 Ohm load is 8.76MHz at 3 Metres.
Longer length will have more capacitance/inductance and the resonant frequency will reduce.
The loading on the amp is very very small and at audio frequency would not be noticeable i.e. 10Hz to 25KHz
Phase change from input to output at 100KHz was less than 1Deg.

TQ and others would never post this type of info."

We have just had delivery of two drums, LS-25 & 40. The 40 does look very similar, unless you have both right next to each other. So we will release it when the new branded heatshrink arrives in September. LS-40 will always be built in a braided sleeve, and carry identifying branding on the heatshrink sleeve.

LS-25 will always be 'naked' and also be branded. In fact every EWA cable product will be individually branded soon.

We recently announced that we would remove LS-50 when the new cables arrived, which prompted such a flurry of orders which we now need to fulfill - so that's our first priority. And LS -50 is now here to stay. However I just replaced '50 with '40 in my system and I am thrilled with it.

The prices will be confirmed soon and be accessible on ABCaudio.biz.

As for interconnects, IC-25 was recently redesigned by Colin, there is no plan for a 40 or 50 model as it is quite excellent.

HTH! Alan.

Hi Alan
Will your website make clear the price for different lengths? It does for some of your speaker cables but not others. What's the difference per metre between the 25 and 40 models?
I'm a happy LS-25 user currently

Cheers,

We have just had delivery of two drums, LS-25 & 40.
However I just replaced '50 with '40 in my system and I am thrilled with it.

Sounds like you are banging your own drum Alan....:)
Seems like you are going to have a lot of orders coming in soon - it would be great to hear a bit more about how the 25, 40 and 50 compare - has anyone on here got any 40 yet ?

No, not yet. Colin has some prototype and so do I. The only thing LS-50 has over 40 is potentially more bass (on paper at least) into current hungry speakers at very high volume, but LS-40 more than keeps up in a domestic setting. My system is quite wide-range (big class A and Revel F-208) and LS-40 is adequate. ;)

How does LS-40 compare to 25/50? (LS-50 is more or less twinned runs of LS-25 in braided sleeve.) The bass is faster, not at all dry, and just really fast and tuneful. My soundstage has jumped further out into the room and its 'presence' is just more vivid. Front row stuff. The detail is incredible, but not in a way that pulls the music apart into constituent parts. It's almost like a upgrading to a bigger, better amplifier.

I'm not very good at this, and anyway I'm totally biased - sorry! When the bits arrive to dress the cables properly, and we've cleared this build list you'll be able to try it for yourselves if you wish. EWA kit can be bought and trialed at home for a good month, and assuming it's kept in great condition it can be returned for a full refund if it's not for you. I know it's a shame you can't try it from a shop, but hopefully this helps a bit. All you're liable for is return postage.

Prices will be clear on the product pages when we release it, via drop down boxes. LS-40 will be a bit cheaper than LS-50 I think. I still have to work out how to display it all on WIX websites, and I'm no web designer!

@ABCaudio as you may recall i began this thread a while back. Since then my LS25s had been sold and i now use a cable by SAEC (a Japanese brand) it uses a new(ish) Triple-C conductor which is a further refinement of the PCOCC conductor invented by Dr Ohno. Its design is patented by a subsidiary of the FURUKAWA brand.

It'll be interesting to see if the LS-40's could improve on my current cables, I'm sure the SAEC (SPC-850 with Xshadow spades) cables i have now are better than the LS-25's by a considerable margin.

I bought the SPC-850 from here: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=283755394842
Used these to terminate with: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/xhadow-spades-pair-p-10324.html
This to solder them up with: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/mundorf-silver-solder-supreme-length-p-2741.html
All neatly dressed in this (9mm): https://www.hificollective.co.uk/sleeving/abs-expandable-sleeving.html
These heat shrinks (4.8mm & 9.5mm) https://www.hificollective.co.uk/sleeving/heat-shrink.html
And these splitters (12x5mm): http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=202957748339

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’m definitely going to demo the LS-40s when they’re available. I’m currently using mostly EWA wires in my all Naim system with Revel f206 speakers.

Hi Raj,

I'd be interested in your POV for sure, I've not examined your cables myself but I respect their heritage - I'm sure they're terrific. Furukawa actually build EWA's bespoke conductors.

All cabling sits between components which have unique interface with each other. I believe that's why some things work in a system, and other (perfectly decent) things don't. So I won't make any further claims about LS-40 because it just can't hold true in every situation, and ultimately I'm just a salesman anyway. But you are most welcome to see how they work for you.

Colin @CJ14 is away this week, but he is the real deal when it comes to physics and design. Whatever hype or enthusiasm surrounds his work, ultimately I'm confident that there is real merit to it. Hopefully he'll join in sometime.

Hi Raj,

I'd be interested in your POV for sure, I've not examined your cables myself but I respect their heritage - I'm sure they're terrific. Furukawa actually build EWA's bespoke conductors.

All cabling sits between components which have unique interface with each other. I believe that's why some things work in a system, and other (perfectly decent) things don't. So I won't make any further claims about LS-40 because it just can't hold true in every situation, and ultimately I'm just a salesman anyway. But you are most welcome to see how they work for you.

Colin @CJ14 is away this week, but he is the real deal when it comes to physics and design. Whatever hype or enthusiasm surrounds his work, ultimately I'm confident that there is real merit to it. Hopefully he'll join in sometime.

Will there be a demo set floating around at all?

advertisement

Back