advertisement

Ronnie O'Sullivan.

I have not met him, and my info sources would have distorted recollections. I agree he has problems, as I am sure we all have to some degree.

Tell us more

Not much to tell. He lives locally, and keeps a house in a neighbouring village. I see him in the village pub sometimes, and he always acknowledges me, which is rather sweet. Sometimes he pops into the shop for a chat, and they can go on for some while. He wears his heart on his sleeve. I find him open, disarmingly honest about himself, charming, very likeable, and certainly unusual. He appears to be entirely unaffected by fame and wealth, almost unaware of it. As I said, I don't really follow snooker, and I was under the impression from our last lengthy discourse during lockdown that he wasn't really interested in staying in the professional game, but had obligations to his sponsors which involved little more than a few exhibition matches a year. For this reason I was somewhat surprised to see this thread!

Snooker will be a poorer game for me when Ronnie finally hangs up his cue.

What he can do with a stick and some balls beggars belief sometimes. And even when he is not in the best form and appears to not give a toss he is still worth watching.

One thing that I particularly liked in this year's event was when starting his first round sessions against the Thai player Thepchaiya Un-Nooh he 'waid' him (the hands-together prayer-type gesture). Class.

His partner is a Muslim, (the actress Laila Rouass) and he apparently has an active interest in both Islam and Buddhism.

Not much to tell. He lives locally, and keeps a house in a neighbouring village. I see him in the village pub sometimes, and he always acknowledges me, which is rather sweet. Sometimes he pops into the shop for a chat, and they can go on for some while. He wears his heart on his sleeve. I find him open, disarmingly honest about himself, charming, very likeable, and certainly unusual. He appears to be entirely unaffected by fame and wealth, almost unaware of it. As I said, I don't really follow snooker, and I was under the impression from our last lengthy discourse during lockdown that he wasn't really interested in staying in the professional game, but had obligations to his sponsors which involved little more than a few exhibition matches a year. For this reason I was somewhat surprised to see this thread!

His partner is a Muslim, (the actress Laila Rouass) and he apparently has an active interest in both Islam and Buddhism.

Thanks, most enlightening. It has not surprised me really, I have known a few people who were wild in their early life and stumbled into philosophy.
I now regret not going out with the labourers who knew him, think it was the fact that a lot of charlie was being consumed, not my scene really.

What a difference a day makes. Got to feel sorry for Wilson, he must just want it to be all over and hope he doesn’t get asked an asinine question at the end.

A true snooker fan will see the genius in Ronnie. Also know his demons but at the end of the day we watch him for what he does at the table and he’s the greatest most naturally gifted player to ever hold a cue and yes, even more so than Alex. Just glad to be able to witness his skills.

What a difference a day makes. Got to feel sorry for Wilson, he must just want it to be all over and hope he doesn’t get asked an asinine question at the end.

I've seen Kyren play much better than he has in this last round. He's beaten Ronnie several times before so he knows he can do it. Ok he's taken a bit of a hammering but a lot of that was his own fault. I'm sure he'll learn from this and come back a better player :)

Yeah I don’t think anyone will think the worse of Wilson for his performance in the long term.

I think people understand that it’s been an extraordinary tournament, and although everyone will have hoped for a big final, it’s understandable if it was all a bit overwhelming for him at the end.

He deserves to enjoy the moment even in defeat, and I’m sure he’ll be back, even maybe to win it one day. One dream at a time is good enough.

I think the semi-finals took it out of both players to an extent and Saturday was a bit lacklustre as a result, but Sunday was just Ronnie doing what he does... punishing any mistakes with ruthless efficiency. He probably won't win it again until he's in his 60s just because he's Ronnie ;)

If he is not the greatest, then he is certainly the most naturally gifted player the game has ever seen. To achieve such greatness despite well-documented struggles with mental health makes his achievements even more impressive, and his lack of awareness of the impact of his statements more understandable. Genius is hard to find and it should be cherished when we are privileged to witness it in all its glory.

I decided to watch all of the last day, because Ronnie was in the final. What a difference there was in him compared to Saturday. Instead of being crumpled and bored he had energy, a great eye and complete commitment.

A tweet Rack Kit put up on the previous page shows Ronnie doing a break of 147 at high speed. Selby doesn't even manage to complete a single shot in the same amount of time.

The fact that he plays both right and left-handed is proof of how skilled he is. I get the impression he is a bit of a perfectionist. Yet you can never really achieve the latter. There is always something not quite right.

Ronnie's acceptance of the trophy was heartfelt and amusing. He praised Kyren Wilson and, according to the Metro, expects him to win The World Snooker Championship a lot of times. https://metro

It would be great to see Ronnie win the 'Lady' more than any other player in the history of snooker. Being a bit of a genius, he's nearly there.

Jack

Ronnie and Mark Selby are poles apart. Ronnie is fast and exciting, Mark is cold and clinical. I'm not a big Selby fan, like others here I find him a bit boring at times but he is the best safety player in the business and you can't take that away from him.

as a tennis fan as well, I can't help but draw parallel of their rivalry with that of Federer/Djokovic; one likes to play fast attacking games, with grace, fineness, perfect form; the other a natural grinder, best defender in the business. Two completely different sports, but equally entertaining when Federer and Ronnie are playing in their respective A-games.

advertisement

Back