advertisement

Ronnie O'Sullivan.

He’s a character in a sport that needs its characters. He’s definitely flawed, even unlikeable perhaps, but he brings that excitement and recklessness that Higgins used to give us years ago.

I don't think he's unlikeable, I just think his comments are from a different perspective to most of us. If any other player wins a snooker match they're happy with winning, for him it's about purity. He knows the level to which he and the game can be played and if he falls short or any other player falls short he's critical of himself/them. At least he's honest, many players will think the things he says, but just not vocalise them.

Wonder if he will react to Selby’s after match comments...
Responding to Selby's comments, O'Sullivan said: "You want to hit it as hard as you can and hopefully get a fluke otherwise I could give 40 points away.
"Don't blame me, blame the miss rule. If I was as good as Mark Selby at getting out of snookers, I could maybe get the balls safe. I haven't got a clue.
"He is just feeling a little bit sore I suppose, he has just lost a semi-final of the World Championship. I understand that."

Selby has a face like a smacked arse. Ronnie is a genius.

Yes maybe! Irrespective Selby is still the finest safety player in the game. Ronnie openly admits that he can’t match him when it comes to safety play. Ronnie is an attacker and he found Selby’s weakness yesterday when he decided to do or die in frame 29 I think it was. I think after the match Selby was actually mad with himself for letting it get to him.

He holds the world record for the shortest maximum break: 0 to 147 in 5 minutes! Incredible.

An amazingly gifted player, and an interesting guy - what's not to like?

The comparisons with Alex Higgins are apt but Ronnie O'Sullivan is more successful, less erratic and, I hope, less likely to have a tragic end.

He holds the world record for the shortest maximum break: 0 to 147 in 5 minutes! Incredible.

The comparisons with Alex Higgins are apt but Ronnie O'Sullivan is more successful, less erratic and, I hope, less likely to have a tragic end.
Everything you say is true but Ronnie has never drawn me in the way that Alex Higgins did.
When Higgins lost I felt his pain and when he won I felt his joy - his charisma is for me unequalled.

Agreed, worth the admission money and I don't watch much snooker.

Everything you say is true but Ronnie has never drawn me in the way that Alex Higgins did.
When Higgins lost I felt his pain and when he won I felt his joy - his charisma is for me unequalled.
There was a good documentary about Higgins on BBC4 recently. He clearly rubbed old bores like Ted Lowe up the wrong way, which can only be a good thing.

There was a good documentary about Higgins on BBC4 recently. He clearly rubbed old bores like Ted Lowe up the wrong way, which can only be a good thing.
I've seen that - it was excellent.
Back in the day there were some great characters in the game - it all seems a little sterile now in comparison.
As well as watching Ronnie I do enjoy the style of Mark Allen though - he's another one with the ability to draw you in.

The BBC made an excellent film (fiction based on fact), The Rack Pack, which told the story of Higgins' rise and fall. It was available on iPlayer for permanent download but is no longer available.

edit: it is on youtube.

Snooker will be a poorer game for me when Ronnie finally hangs up his cue.

What he can do with a stick and some balls beggars belief sometimes. And even when he is not in the best form and appears to not give a toss he is still worth watching.

One thing that I particularly liked in this year's event was when starting his first round sessions against the Thai player Thepchaiya Un-Nooh he 'waid' him (the hands-together prayer-type gesture). Class.

I was working today so missed the first session of the final. At the start of the second session I see Ronnie is 6-2 up. I've just watched Ronnie take the first frame of the second session, a frame Kyron Wilson should have easily won. I'm disappointed as I know Kyron can do better than this and whilst I'm a Ronnie fan I'd still like to see a match not a walk over :( On dear, another one to Ronnie :eek:

I was unwell yesterday and missed the later stages of the semis live. But given the length of the final, I thought I’d catch up on yesterday first, and then just pick the final up after a session or so.

Blimey. That was the most dramatic/exhausting day of snooker I think I’ve ever watched. Stellar stuff.

Picking the final up this evening, Wilson is clearly struggling. But who could blame him after that semi. And the crowd, even though they almost certainly want nothing more than Ronnie to win a fireworks display of a match, are clearly showing the well of goodwill that Wilson earned yesterday.

In a sport which sometimes seems that, especially if Ronnie were to hang up his cue, it could be just a poor tournament or two away from an existential struggle, the lead in to the final has been just fantastic.

I’ve never seen Ronnie this bad but he has a three frame lead. The table’s gone weird because of the humidity.

I’ve never seen Ronnie this bad but he has a three frame lead. The table’s gone weird because of the humidity.

Agreed, the bed cloth is unresponsive & the cushions are pinging. Not good for any player.
Mr O'Sullivan was outplayed tonight & is fortunate to have a three frame advantage.

Yes Ronnie has well and truly gone off the boil. It's not just the table, I think he's tired and he's not addressing the ball as he did in his earlier matches. This is typical Ronnie though. Kyron will still have to pull his socks up tomorrow but since my last post he has raised his game somewhat.

Ronnie will tell you -repeatedly to the exclusion of all else - that his cue action is off. He's not comfortable getting on the shot.

There've been some good matches and great sessions of play this year, but the inconsistency has been more noteworthy across the draw. Wilson is patchy, Ronnie flying high for a couple of hours, then dismal for a while, Trump never really showed up, and Selby - well he's a yawnfest at the best of times.

Me too. When it gets to the best tactic for Wilson is leaving long pots for Ronnie to miss it's hardly great viewing.

advertisement

Back