advertisement

To Parents of 16 and 18 year olds

My 18 year old is really nervous and he has hardly spoken for the last 5 months. He had expected to do well in his final exams, but fluffed up his maths mocks in January. My reassurance is not making much of a difference as SWMBO is equally nervous - which does not help.

The above post illustrates the horrible dilemma.
When my three did A levels a few years ago every one of them did significantly better on their final exams.
It’s a real rock and a hard place for all concerned.

^ good point Bob, no chance of recovering ground in their exams.

Our daughter got a 9 at GCSE maths, she had a fairly rough 1st year at A levels as her teacher wasn’t the best, she’s pulled it round since getting a new teacher in year 2 but now faces a very nervy time waiting to see what she gets, with no opportunity to make amends in the exam.

My heart goes out to kids taking GCSE’s right now. Exam season was always a hugely stressful time for students, in a way it wasn’t in my time. As a teacher I was conscious of having to push my students, but always fearful of the huge pressure they were under. The time up to Easter was always a time of tears, not all of them mine.

Best wishes to everyone

My Daughter is just going up to year 11, she was absolutely flying up until COVID hit and the schools closed... but she’s autistic so she’s found everything very hard, she’s lost so much proper learning time. I’m worried about what this nest academic year holds for her. I’d hoped they would defer the exams by a month or two next year but I’m told they won’t because that’d be unfair on examining boards and teaching staff.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My Daughter is just going up to year 1, she was absolutely flying up until COVID hit and the schools closed... but she’s autistic so she’s found everything very hard, she’s lost so much proper learning time. I’m worried about what this nest academic year holds for her. I’d hoped they would defer the exams by a month or two next year but I’m told they won’t because that’d be unfair on examining boards and teaching staff.:rolleyes:
Speaking to teachers, they would do anything to help the kids. Deferring exams is a government decision and not something teachers would have any input to at all. Having said that I feel for you and your daughter. Those most in need seem to being hit hardest. My thoughts are with you both

Speaking to teachers, they would do anything to help the kids. Deferring exams is a government decision and not something teachers would have any input to at all. Having said that I feel for you and your daughter. Those most in need seem to being hit hardest. My thoughts are with you both
In fairness, it’s not something I’ve heard teachers themselves object to, but it’s something I enquired about the likelihood of/suggested elsewhere and that was the response I got. I used to work in SEN and have a lot of teacher friends, I know they’d jump through hoops to help their pupils. I’m thinking of volunteering for a few hours a week to support kids at my local comprehensive school over the next academic year. I’m self employed so I can arrange my paid work around it.

Kenneth Baker, ex Ed secretary who brought in the modern exam system argues the whole covid affected GCSE/A level year should be written off.

Kenneth Baker, ex Ed secretary who brought in the modern exam system argues the whole covid affected GCSE/A level year should be written off.
Of course it should.

Clearly the algorithms being used to determine grades are most disadvantageous to those already disadvantaged,

It's pretty much the same over the pond. Our daughter took her ACT test early before Covid shut down testing and did really well, however since many 2021 leavers haven't taken either ACT's or SAT's many colleges over here are ignoring exam results and basing admissions on grades, which very wildly from school to school and state to state. Complicating matters she really wants to attend uni in the UK and getting over to see them will be tough, though we did manage a couple last November. I really feel for the 16-18 tear olds, it is really messing with their lives and I am sure teenage depression must be surging.

Control of the exam system must return the universities' exam boards, this privatised system as been a mess for years, now its descending into farce. I feel so sorry for these kids, universities are being told to keep places open to allow for appeals - but there are no appeals from individuals (until someone goes to court that is).

We're nervous for our 16 year old son who's waiting on GCSE results. He had a rough time with anxiety in years 7 through 9 and missed probably 15% of each school year due to being ill, and consequently didn't do great in end of year exams. Year 10 end of years he put no effort in and got a bit of a shock. Year 11 he put more effort into mocks but still not enough and probably a grade lower than he should have been in each subject. Knowing that he is perfectly capable of doing well, but is prone to coasting, and will probably come out with lower grades than he should is frustrating. He had himself all geared up to really put the effort into the exams that mattered but then covid hit.

I am not surprised that those being home schooled won’t be graded, in my area of work youth justice, most children that are home schooled is a way parents Avoid being prosecuted and the LA’s collude with this. Obviously there are other reasons many of which are valid.

I am not surprised that those being home schooled won’t be graded, in my area of work youth justice, most children that are home schooled is a way parents Avoid being prosecuted and the LA’s collude with this. Obviously there are other reasons many of which are valid.
Home schooling is a device for ‘off rolling’ (getting difficult kids off the school roll) used by schools with a good reputation to protect their headline figures.

In the case of Academies the LA will have no involvement with off rolling, only picking up the pieces after the event

Home schooling is a device for ‘off rolling’ (getting difficult kids off the school roll) used by schools with a good reputation to protect their headline figures.

In the case of Academies the LA will have no involvement with off rolling, only picking up the pieces after the event
Absolute rubbish.
There is a long tradition of home schooling in England.
Nadia Sawalha and Samantha Womack are homeschooling their children.
Agatha Christie was home schooled.
I’m no great fan of it but such a claim as yours is ridiculous.

advertisement

Back