advertisement

Grado... ish

Mr Pig

^'- -'^
Since I got it I've been trying to finalize a cartridge for my RP10. It's utterly neutral sound and revealing nature doesn't suit a lot of the carts I've happily employed in the past. So far the best candidate I've found is the Grado Prestige Green II. It's a lovely musical combo which does just about everything right. Full and sweet tonality, tight rhythmic ability and loads of detail. It beats any combination of arm and cart I had on an LP12.

I could live with it but there are a couple of areas I'd like to see improvements on, without losing what I have now. The Grado Green is somewhat limited dynamically. Not chronically so but at higher volume to notice it. It also rolls of at both ends. To be honest, the treble roll off doesn't bother me much at all, it's a benefit on a lot of records, but I wouldn't mind more bass extension.

I'm not totally convinced by Grado's cartridge range structure. They seem to build more or less the same cart then sell the better samples for more with a different name. Also suspicious of the absence of anything resembling a clever stylus profile, I feel that might tell you something about their business philosophy.

The absence of shielding means their lower output carts are probably out, the Green picks up hum at the very end of the side but not enough to be a problem. So the question I have is, what other carts have the nice, liquid midband and fullness of the Grado but are a bit more complete in their abilities? So far the brand catching my eye is Soundsmith but I'm really looking for suggestions here?

Thank you :0)

So the question I have is, what other carts have the nice, liquid midband and fullness of the Grado but are a bit more complete in their abilities?

A moving coil (Hana, e.g. at the lower end), assuming the arm is capable and ph/stage likewise.

Rega Apheta

Seriously? The opinions I've heard are that the Rega carts are on the lean side and Dynovector are a better match as they have a fuller sound.

Hana has come up on my radar too. So they're similar to the Grado you think?

Seriously? The opinions I've heard are that the Rega carts are on the lean side and Dynovector are a better match as they have a fuller sound.

I like both Apheta and Ania, they are fast, dynamic and perfectly matched (mechanically and sonically) with the Rega turntables character,
but if you like a fuller sound, maybe you should go to something different. Have you tried the Exact? or maybe a Denon DL110?

Another vote for the Apheta 3, very well suited to the rega decks.
Absolute love mine on my P10 running through the rega Aura and the rest off my system

i don't have experience of either so opinions are by received wisdom only. I've not read a negative comment on the Hanas (SL/ML) which can cope with lower medium mass arms, I'm told . I wouldn't think it useful to compare Grados (warmer end of the m/magnets?) with Hanas. Another possibility, if you're looking at coils, is Benz. (here I do have experience). Their lower end Wood (and others) are well received, well established and quite versatile re. arm mass. Marginally warm side of neutral but dynamic with it. My Ebony LP was only retired in favour of Transfig. (alas, no longer trading).

A lower Lyra (Delos?) could be a contender if you like that presentation; utterly versatile, dynamic and engaging, if not exhibiting the most 'musical' insight/nuances.

Maybe wait for a punt on low used examples to come up; good chance to experience different flavours and unlikely to either depreciate much or be difficult to move on. Lyras have (or had) a 25% trade-in,and Benz have exc. prices and trade-ins from ESCo. All things to consider, i.m.o.

Also suspicious of the absence of anything resembling a clever stylus profile, I feel that might tell you something about their business philosophy.
8MZ ,MCZ ,XTC ,XTZ , TLZ & Reference Stylus all fit the grado green £150-£700

New 2020 Timbre & Lineage range $300- $12,000 with diamond & boron cantilevers & line contact profiles 4 versions of each 1.0mv & 4.0mv stereo & mono

The absence of shielding means their lower output carts are probably out, the Green picks up hum at the very end of the side but not enough to be a problem
AC unshielded motors can induce some hum
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/humbucker

A Decca London, or whatever they call them these days.

Assuming they perform similarly to the originals, that's probably the closest to a Grado on steroids.

I believe the Cartridge Man MusicMaker really is a Grado on steroids. Never heard one though.

Certainly looks that way.

Part of my thinking with the RP10 was that I might be able to get similar or better performance out of a cheaper cart than I got out of the LP12. It makes your running costs lower and accidentally damaging the cart is less tear inducing. So far my hunch is proving correct so I'm reluctant to spend a grand on a cart when I'm pretty happy with what a £100 Grado does. It's just a bit lacking in a few areas. A Lyra etc might well be lovely but I don't want to spend that kind of money to find I don't like it or it's only slightly better than the Grado.

8MZ ,MCZ ,XTC ,XTZ , TLZ & Reference Stylus all fit the grado green £150-£700

New 2020 Timbre & Lineage range $300- $12,000 with diamond & boron cantilevers & line contact profiles 4 versions of each 1.0mv & 4.0mv stereo & mono

What exactly do you get when you move up the Grado range? I've heard some reports of a softer sound, which I don't need or want.

My go to MM always used to be the Goldring 1042. Hard to better for the money back when it was £100 or so, I suspect it's still competitive at its current price point.

advertisement

Back