advertisement

Exposure IV power amp : any thoughts ?

Gervais Cote

Predator
Hi gents,

I have an opportunity to get a pristine Exposure IV double mono amp and I’m wandering if any of you have ever owned or listen to it over long periods of time.

I really enjoy the Naim sound having my favorite of all time a NAP 160 BD on my main system but I am putting together some components to build a second system in my basement so I would like to know if this amp sounds similar to my 160.

i listen mainly to rock and jazz music and enjoy the famous Naim PRAT a lot. I don’t need a holographic sound stage as long as it’s musical enough to have me wanting to put a record one after the other, I’m fine.

I also had a Quad kit including a 405-2 and despite very nice sounding, it was too quiet for me and the bass was too one note.

This exposure would be the starting point and I will add a proper preamp to match eventually.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Yes, I had one for a year or two. Absolute fantastic thing and It massively regret letting it go. I felt it knocked Naim power amps (all of them!) into a cocked hat. It's old, so perhaps budget for needing to replace caps as per whatever Exposure advise, though.

Exposure IV power amp is a lovely beast; grab it.

You'll have no problem selling it if you do not like it.

They are good amps and sins are mainly of omission rather than commission. Ultimately let down by lack of transparency, holographic imaging, and resolution. Easily better than Naim though and would probably edge it over most Quads. Reliable and just gets on with the job.

They are good amps and sins are mainly of omission rather than commission. Ultimately let down by lack of transparency, holographic imaging, and resolution. Easily better than Naim though and would probably edge it over most Quads. Reliable and just gets on with the job.

One of these days please share your own designed and built amplifiers with the world. I would be very keen to hear.

I got more details about the amp and it’s been serviced in 2018 by a famous local repair shop so no worries here.
I also learned it is a single transformer model so would this be an unregulated one ? I typically prefer the unregulated versions as they usually sound more organic to me so would this also be true with this amp ?

I remember the old IV (curved top cabinet) with one trafo, as beeing quite tube sounding on bas-notes, wonderfull mids.

I use a single trafo exposure iv . Curved with the purple type colour serial 51. Does not have the input for pre though (Doug Brady had not come across this before)so used with matching exp 3 also ser 51 with power supply. I bought it around 3 yrs ago / ebay as a stop gap but have found it so good I use it most of the year except when I use a single ended valve amp . Reliable , solid sound with valve like aspects , loads of prat etc. I preferred it +++ over a dr model I had earlier which sounded a tad dull and earthbound in comparison . It does have some 3 dimensionality and is sensitive to placement (I use a maf stand made for quad 63s) . Drives the DBLs a treat in my small / medium room.

I use a single trafo exposure iv . Curved with the purple type colour serial 51. Does not have the input for pre though (Doug Brady had not come across this before)so used with matching exp 3 also ser 51 with power supply. I bought it around 3 yrs ago / ebay as a stop gap but have found it so good I use it most of the year except when I use a single ended valve amp . Reliable , solid sound with valve like aspects , loads of prat etc. I preferred it +++ over a dr model I had earlier which sounded a tad dull and earthbound in comparison . It does have some 3 dimensionality and is sensitive to placement (I use a maf stand made for quad 63s) . Drives the DBLs a treat in my small / medium room.

Maybe it’s what non regulated sounds like ! More musical, less analytical ? Kind of my style, just ordered it ! Can’t wait !

I think one note bass is more of a speaker or room problem than an amplifier trait.

Perhaps an amp/speaker mismatch.

I own Exposure and Naim pre and power amplifiers and listened to all the Farlowe range as stated here:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-vs-exposure-amplifiers.204320/page-5#post-3959248
For me, Exposure sounds rounder and more materic than Naim that has a lighter and airy character.

The Exposure IV reporduces a fatter and slow mid bass than Naim power amplifiers.
Speaking by metaphor: is as to choose between two women, the first buxom and the other slender. I like and keep both the two tipology. ;)
If you prefer a laid back, darker and softer tone go for Exposure, if you look for a clearer, faster and more trasparent tone go for Naim.
The most important aspect in the choice (as ever) is the match with the loudspekers. For example I like a lot Exposure when drives small speakers (with a limited bass rensponse - for ex. my LS3/5a) but prefer Naim with bigger loudspekers that need a less swollen timbre on the bass frequencies.

BTW, for my ears the VIII super and XVIII are more musical and refined than all the older IV versions.

Last edited:
I own Exposure and Naim pre and power amplifiers and listened to all the Farlowe range as stated here:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-vs-exposure-amplifiers.204320/page-5#post-3959248
For me, Exposure sounds rounder and more materic than Naim that has a lighter and airy character.

The Exposure IV reporduces a fatter and slow mid bass than Naim power amplifiers.
Speaking by metaphor: is as to choose between two women, the first buxom and the other slender. I like and keep both the two tipology. ;)
If you prefer a laid back, darker and softer tone go for Exposure, if you look for a clearer, faster and more trasparent tone go for Naim.
The most important aspect in the choice (as ever) is the match with the loudspekers. For example I like a lot Exposure when drives small speakers (with a limited bass rensponse - for ex. my LS3/5a) but prefer Naim with bigger loudspekers that need a less swollen timbre on the bass frequencies.

BTW, for my ears the VIII super and XVIII are more musical and refined than all the olded IV versions.

I will be using the Exposure with bookshelves speakers in a medium size room so it looks okay on the first sight.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a single transformer IV! I've recapped and carried out mods and improvements to 2 IV's and a IV DR but all were dual mono IIRC (nearly 20 years ago now!). Did a couple of VIII power amps as well, very much a baby IV...

I didn't know there was such a thing as a single transformer IV! I've recapped and carried out mods and improvements to 2 IV's and a IV DR but all were dual mono IIRC (nearly 20 years ago now!). Did a couple of VIII power amps as well, very much a baby IV...

Not only that but there has been two types of single transformers :
The first generation was a home made version with a cube shape and the second generation was a toroidal made by Holden and Fisher, same supplier as Naim for the CB era.

Not only that but there has been two types of single transformers :
The first generation was a home made version with a cube shape and the second generation was a toroidal made by Holden and Fisher, same supplier as Naim for the CB era.

All transformers in Exposure amps I've worked on have been Holden and Fisher toroids.

I will be using the Exposure with bookshelves speakers in a medium size room so it looks okay on the first sight.

Yes it looks OK!

I saw 3 versions of the old IV not regulated power amp.
1) with two transformers and no PS for the preamp;
2) with one transformer and with no PS for the preamp;
3) with one transformer and the PS for the preamp.

Hi Jez,
yes, the VIII super is smaller but I like it and the XVIII super because are less full-bodied, less laid back and more lively (dynamic) than the IV DR (or not DR).

advertisement

Back