advertisement

Stirling ls3/5a V2 vs Harbeth P3ESR

Yes, that's what a large part of me is thinking. If I go for something else, I won't get rid of that hankering. And it is at least based on experience (whereas I have no experience with the P3).
I would not dismiss the P3. Although it is indeed slightly different from the ls3/5a (even if you look at cabinet size) it very much belongs to this group of speakers and sound, so I will try 40th AE together with the Stirling, hopefully this weekend.

Is the Harbeth HL-P3 ESR model much better than the HL-P3 ES, folks? I used to have the latter and it was one of the least memorable small speakers I have owned and sold them for £350 or so, and in mint condition. Ran them with a gamut of amps from fancy valves to powerful hybrids and many solid state, but they never really changed their rather grey character.

I don't have much experience of BBC designs but I heard the Falcons at a show run by a modest Primare integrated i15 amp and almost bought them on the spot!

It's going to be, I think, down to partnering kit, esp the amp that's driving them, your rooms furnishings and then ofc, the music you love. And even if we knew ll that. you'd still not pick what I'd pick. Get them into that space and hear them, but for me it's a 2 wat battle b

Is the Harbeth HL-P3 ESR model much better than the HL-P3 ES, folks? I used to have the latter and it was one of the least memorable small speakers I have owned and sold them for £350 or so, and in mint condition. Ran them with a gamut of amps from fancy valves to powerful hybrids and many solid state, but they never really changed their rather grey character.

I don't have much experience of BBC designs but I heard the Falcons at a show run by a modest Primare integrated i15 amp and almost bought them on the spot!
Yes, the P3ESR is better than P3 ES.

If I were going by price:

1) PSB Alpha 5. Ridiculously good for $400 a pair. Put em on stands with a good front end and you'll be amazed.

2) LS-50 when they're all sale for $899.

3) Proac Tablette 10. Under two grand for a 'modern LS3/5a' design.

I find it hard to recommend anything over that price. The Falcon's and the Graham's are just ridiculously over-priced. The new Harbeth P3ESR X2 (or whatever is called) is too.

Tablettes are good, for sure, but not a forever speaker (I change stuff every decade or so, my current setup has only recently started to change after 15 years). I can't live with the looks of the LS50.

Tablettes are good, for sure, but not a forever speaker (I change stuff every decade or so, my current setup has only recently started to change after 15 years). I can't live with the looks of the LS50.

Hello Ian, hope you are well, I bought a pair of active ATCs off you many moons ago when you lived in Central London. My Music Culture Audio RL-21s are my forever stand mount speaker, although much larger than LS3/5a. I think I am cured now!

I really like small speakers, they generally don't have the bass but they do have a nice presentation and I like the aesthetics, particularly of the ls35a designs. I almost bought some harbeth P3ESR but opted for Neat motive sx3 as they were better all rounders, however I would like to own a pair in a second system. I do think the new prices for the P3ESR is taking the piss though, I thought they were expensive at 1600 a couple of years ago and now they have went up 800 or so... Crazy.

Hi Ra
Hello Ian, hope you are well, I bought a pair of active ATCs off you many moons ago when you lived in Central London. My Music Culture Audio RL-21s are my forever stand mount speaker, although much larger than LS3/5a. I think I am cured now!

Hi Rana, I remember that well. Nice to see you again all these years later...

I've got the Stirling V2's and have heard the P3ESR at shows.

I'd describe the V2's as rich sounding with superb imaging. The Harbeths have a tighter sound with a more strident treble. Not heard them side by side but i'd probably prefer the V2's.

I currently have Harbeth SLH5+ as main speaker (for sale on ebay) which takes everything up a notch obviously with a bigger sound - but more neutral than the V2's.

If I were going by price:

1) PSB Alpha 5. Ridiculously good for $400 a pair. Put em on stands with a good front end and you'll be amazed.

2) LS-50 when they're all sale for $899.

3) Proac Tablette 10. Under two grand for a 'modern LS3/5a' design.

I find it hard to recommend anything over that price. The Falcon's and the Graham's are just ridiculously over-priced. The new Harbeth P3ESR X2 (or whatever is called) is too.

I constantly recommend the Grahams for the price. They're my favorite of the type. If they or the Falcons or Rogers weren't worth it, they'd have a lower price. All the Grahams from the LS3/5 to the LS5/8 are incredible.

I constantly recommend the Grahams for the price. They're my favorite of the type. If they or the Falcons or Rogers weren't worth it, they'd have a lower price. All the Grahams from the LS3/5 to the LS5/8 are incredible.

Agree. Had Graham LS3/5 (not a), incredible speakers and can be had for around £1k used. Compared them against SpendorD1 and S3/5r2 and preferred them with my Devialet. One of my favourite small speakers. As always , I wish I kept them. Not heard the Harbeth....

For me the Falcons won out in the end over the Harbeths, the latter sounding closer to the two Spendors I had- S3/5R and R2. The final comparison I haven’t made yet is Falcons vs Spendor D1s which should be interesting as both sounded very different from the S3/5R, R2, HLP3ER trio.

Re. amplifiers, Doug Stirling recommended the Marantz PM6004.
It certainly works well with the V3s.
It nice to have remote volume control.
First time for me on an amp.

Graham stuff does review well, and secondhand prices do seem pretty sensible.

I'm sorted for amps, I'm coming down with high quality solid state amplifiers, any of which would drive them at the nearfield levels I would be playing them at.

I'm going to sell some stuff and then count up the pennies and work out a budget, and then see what's around on the secondhand/exdem marketplace.

advertisement

Back