advertisement

Turntable woes

...ah..ok, well I think it's possible to listen to Maiden with a lesser cart than an XV-1s.

In fact I enjoyed it most on a Dual belt drive with an AT95E
and the better my cartridges became, the more painfully aware I became of the relatively poor pressings or recordings of that time.
In fact this was a time when they were heavily promoting the advantages of CD,
and I cannot help but feeling that they possibly purposefully made the CD sound quite better than the LPs at that time.
I was a bit stubborn with an 'LP only' attitude for a while, but meanwhile I do tend to pick the better sounding medium, which in case of Maiden in the 80s is imo rather surely the CD.
Metallica Ride & Master another 2 of my faves I tend to avoid as a vinyl rather..
as well as my godlike fave duo of 'Reign in Blood' & 'South of Heaven' by Slayer.

Well you have a jumper that inserts into (or connects) 2 pins.
If you have 3 pins and one jumper only being capable of connecting 2 pins,
logic dictates that if you close pin 1 & 2, the gap between 2 & 3 will remain open
as there is only the single pin 3 sticking in the air & no more jumper the size of gapping 2 pins will fit in there.
So pin2 is short to 3, but open towards 1, correct.

Ah right that makes sense about the P75.

yeah don’t think I’ll need a 5 grand cartridge for some classic Maiden :) Always loved Reign in Blood and South of Heaven on record.

Heard back from Catherine at Henley Audio who are the main distributor for Pro-Ject in the UK. She’s not interested, no problems with the cartridges according to her.

Carpeted.

The turntable earth cable is connected to the connection on my integrated amp. It just buzzed when I connected it to the connection on the phono stage.

To me that's significant. I'd be very much surprised if that isn't the problem, although Arkless would know.

The buzz indicates a dodgy connection somewhere along the line. Concentrate on the earth lead itself, they're usually as thin as a human hair and pretty fragile. Are there any kinks in it or bits where it looks like it might be squashed?

The earth connector at the phono stage end is also usually rubbish. Connect it to the Dynavector and try waggling the lead to see if the connection is dodgy. If it is and you're not handy with a soldering iron, your friendly neighbourhood dealer should help for a few quid.

If that connection is OK then the problem could be at the turntable end. Check the flying leads on the cartridge are firmly connected. Try very gently waggling the pins themselves in case the cartridge body is knackered.

If you've got a phono stage in your integrated amp, have you tried connecting the earth and the phono to that input?

Ah right that makes sense about the P75.

yeah don’t think I’ll need a 5 grand cartridge for some classic Maiden :) Always loved Reign in Blood and South of Heaven on record.

Heard back from Catherine at Henley Audio who are the main distributor for Pro-Ject in the UK. She’s not interested, no problems with the cartridges according to her.

You'd be surprised about rock music. Bands often care more about sound quality than most because they want instruments to have the right impact and sound right. Dave Grohl went to the trouble of buying a mixing desk made by a specific legendary maker and you can tell the difference on his Greatest Hits album.

I'm not surprised about Henley Audio, you only get lifelong support on items with a much bigger price tag like Quad, Naim, etc.

To me that's significant. I'd be very much surprised if that isn't the problem, although Arkless would know.

The buzz indicates a dodgy connection somewhere along the line. Concentrate on the earth lead itself, they're usually as thin as a human hair and pretty fragile. Are there any kinks in it or bits where it looks like it might be squashed?

The earth connector at the phono stage end is also usually rubbish. Connect it to the Dynavector and try waggling the lead to see if the connection is dodgy. If it is and you're not handy with a soldering iron, your friendly neighbourhood dealer should help for a few quid.

If that connection is OK then the problem could be at the turntable end. Check the flying leads on the cartridge are firmly connected. Try very gently waggling the pins themselves in case the cartridge body is knackered.

If you've got a phono stage in your integrated amp, have you tried connecting the earth and the phono to that input?

At the moment the earth cable goes from my turntable to the post on my integrated amp. Tried it again, and if I run it from the turntable to the post on the Dynavector it just buzzes like mad. Had a look at the earth cable and it seems in perfect condition.

Just realised I should also have pointed this out like 4 pages back, but I get an intermittent problem where the left channel just totally cuts out as well.
Think I bought it off here about a month ago and I would say ever since I got it about once a week I'll turn it on and there's no sound from the left channel. Turn it off and on a few times and then it seems to work. To be honest not too impressed by the whole thing so far. Plugged it in originally and thought everything was wonderful, but I think it's fair to say there are a few issues.

If I place my finger gently on to one of the pins out the 4 I get a bit of buzzing from the speaker, however, it's from the right channel.

My integrated amp doesn't have a phono stage built it so I haven't been able to try that.

o_O If your amp doesn't have a phono stage then how does it have an earthing post? Anyway, never mind.

Because they're so easy to bugger up completely, I wouldn't buy a turntable or cartridge second-hand from anyone but a dealer or from someone who's had it inspected by a dealer who's prepared to vouch for it. Which doesn't help you at all :rolleyes: :)

It'd be good to narrow it down a bit more. Can you take the turntable or phono stage or both around to your mate's place and try each in turn? All depends how good a mate he is :)

o_O If your amp doesn't have a phono stage then how does it have an earthing post? Anyway, never mind.

Because they're so easy to bugger up completely, I wouldn't buy a turntable or cartridge second-hand from anyone but a dealer or from someone who's had it inspected by a dealer who's prepared to vouch for it.

It'd be good to narrow it down a bit more. Can you take the turntable or phono stage or both around to your mate's place and try each in turn? All depends how good a mate he is :)

It's an Exposure 2010s integrated, it has the option to install a phono board but mines doesn't have one in it.

Aye lesson learned to an extent, but I'm not wanting to call anyone out for selling me something that wasn't working 100% just yet.

Haha probably could

I think they're a lot like violins in the way that materials can have a big effect. They're equally as delicate when transported, although if your's came in the original packaging then it should have been alright.

Don't give up on them because of this one bad experience. I think that albums that were mixed to sound good on vinyl originally sound at their best on vinyl and vice versa. You've got plenty of great rock albums to go at :D

I think they're a lot like violins in the way that materials can have a big effect. They're equally as delicate when transported, although if your's came in the original packaging then it should have been alright.

Don't give up on them because of this one bad experience. I think that albums that were mixed to sound good on vinyl originally sound at their best on vinyl and vice versa. You've got plenty of great rock albums to go at :D

Yeah it was packaged perfecly

Disconnect the earth cable completely. Sometimes and for some reason that I have zero interest in understanding, they are not needed.

If I remember right the earth pin on the P75 isn't connected onwards to anything, so it is just a dumb binding post. Says so in the manual I think, if you look carefully. I have the same amp and stage and my turntable earth lead goes straight to the amp pin, bypassing the P75. No noise on MC.

The 2010s MM stage is lovely (as is the amp) but noisy for me when LED ceiling lights are on. It does seem to be more sensitive than my previous amp's MM stage.

Your intermittent dropouts might just be loose arm wire connections, possibly the crimped connectors.

sounds like the tip is broken, i have a linn akiva here that sounds all crackley and on close inspection the tip is all split and bits broken off.

If I remember right the earth pin on the P75 isn't connected onwards to anything, so it is just a dumb binding post. Says so in the manual I think, if you look carefully. I have the same amp and stage and my turntable earth lead goes straight to the amp pin, bypassing the P75. No noise on MC.

The 2010s MM stage is lovely (as is the amp) but noisy for me when LED ceiling lights are on. It does seem to be more sensitive than my previous amp's MM stage.

Your intermittent dropouts might just be loose arm wire connections, possibly the crimped connectors.

Regarding the sound dropping out, think you could be right as when I was checking the pins as suggested, the sound did drop out for a bit. Not sure how I get in to the arm to check them that side.

Is it possible to get access to the arm leads where they meet the cartridge pins? If so maybe just a gentle squeeze of the crimped connectors with some tweezers will reeastablish a firm contact.

advertisement

Back