advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Think I might have a problem :) - Acquistions since breaking my ankle in January - and this doesn't include the zines acquired in two zine exchanges!

Untitled are 3 Zines in Collated Observation series from ADM, 9 Zines from Another Place Press, and the grey book is Paul Sanders - Solace

zlMWA53h.jpg

Samyang 14mm f2.8 for the Nikon arrived yesterday.... out and about before dinner time today - results to follow on PAW thread.

If this is anything like as good as the stuff Samyang are making in FE (Sony) mount, it should be one super bit of kit. I've used both their 35-2.8 and 85-1.4 which are off the scale for value.

If this is anything like as good as the stuff Samyang are making in FE (Sony) mount, it should be one super bit of kit. I've used both their 35-2.8 and 85-1.4 which are off the scale for value.

I've got the Samyang 14mm F2.8 in Pentax fit and I've been impressed by it on my K1. It's certainly way, way better than the other 14mm F2.8 I have (a Sigma).

Voitgtlander_lens.jpeg

I've always had this slightly romantic (misplaced perhaps? :D ) notion that one day I'd own a Leica M camera. I'm simply not in the position to afford M glass, but reading around - and talking to long-time owners - there are some very good lenses around, and at a fraction of the cost.

I've bought the Voigtlander with the intention of hopefully getting myself an M body - not entirely sure which model, but quite like the idea of an M8. Failing that it'll probably be an M240. I do have an adapter for using the Nokton on my Fuji cameras so it'll get used whatever. The Mitakon 35-0.95 will go up for sale.

Just bought AlanBeeb's XT3/16-80 combo. I need to do some video jobs so I managed to convince myself it would be so much nicer shot on the XT than my X-Pro 2. Which it will. But still... and I haven't told my OH yet. Ah well. Fun times... now to the SmallRig catalogue...

Just bought AlanBeeb's XT3/16-80 combo. I need to do some video jobs so I managed to convince myself it would be so much nicer shot on the XT than my X-Pro 2. Which it will. But still... and I haven't told my OH yet. Ah well. Fun times... now to the SmallRig catalogue...

OH , what's one of those , Ah I remember now its a stop you getting things machine
I had one 17 years ago , Notice I said HAD :rolleyes:

The Samyang 14mm is turning out to be an evolution for my picture taking. Can't wait to get it up into the NW Highlands in September. However..... I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of any telephoto options for Nikon Z. the 70-200mm f2.8 has never appeared and is far too expensive anyway, the 24-200 has never seen the light of day and is months behind schedule- and I don't want it if its any compromise on IQ. Where are the telephoto zooms for Z, Nikon?????

Last edited:
Voitgtlander_lens.jpeg

I've always had this slightly romantic (misplaced perhaps? :D ) notion that one day I'd own a Leica M camera. I'm simply not in the position to afford M glass, but reading around - and talking to long-time owners - there are some very good lenses around, and at a fraction of the cost.

I've bought the Voigtlander with the intention of hopefully getting myself an M body - not entirely sure which model, but quite like the idea of an M8. Failing that it'll probably be an M240. I do have an adapter for using the Nokton on my Fuji cameras so it'll get used whatever. The Mitakon 35-0.95 will go up for sale.

Yes I agree M glass is not worth the crazy prices, and there are far cheaper alternatives that compete both on build quality and optical performance. I used to own the 35mm ASPH summicron but ended up selling it because I couldn’t justify having that much money tied up in a small lens. I should of kept it as an investment but they are now selling for a lot more than I paid for it.

The Samyang 14mm is turning out to be an evolution for my picture taking. Can't wait to get it up into the NW Highlands in September. However..... I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of any telephoto options for Nikon Z. the 70-200mm f2.8 has never appeared and is far too expensive anyway, the 24-200 has never seen the light of day and is months behind schedule- and I don't want it if its any compromise on IQ. Where are the telephoto zooms for Z, Nikon?????

Just seen this - I use an adapted Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P and love it. I've lugged around big 70-200/2.8's in the past and IMHO for landscape work, it's not worth the extra weight. The 70-300 AF-P is a bit of a sleeper. Check out this review:

https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-af-p-70-300mm-f4-5-5-6e-ed-vr-review/

It's certainly good enough for my needs and is my most used lens out in the field. Here's an image I took with it out in The Lake District last year with it mounted on my Z7:

Heroes by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P

Lefty

Just seen this - I use an adapted Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P and love it. I've lugged around big 70-200/2.8's in the past and IMHO for landscape work, it's not worth the extra weight. The 70-300 AF-P is a bit of a sleeper...

Lefty

I had that lens - and sold it here when I got rid of the annoyingly faulty D600. How did you get yours adapted? Or are you using the FTZ adapter?

I had that lens - and sold it here when I got rid of the annoyingly faulty D600. How did you get yours adapted? Or are you using the FTZ adapter?

Yes, using the FTZ. Works flawlessly. Are you sure it was the latest AF-P version you had? It's a very different (and much better) lens than the previous generation of 70-300.

As I've got a few AI-NIkkor (and AF-D Nikkors) on hand, I thought it would be great to use them on my M240. Only downside of course is that they're not rangefinder-coupled which means a. guessing focus or b. getting an EVF.

MPB had an as-new Leica VF-2 in so I grabbed it. Whilst its resolution is nothing to shout about, it does provide more than enough IQ for accurate focusing via peaking. Can't wait to give the 105 2.5 a go. :)

Leica + EVF by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Yes, using the FTZ. Works flawlessly. Are you sure it was the latest AF-P version you had? It's a very different (and much better) lens than the previous generation of 70-300.

Right enough, it was the AF-S that I had.

I'm still holding out for the Z 24-200...its had excellent reviews but shipping has been delayed again & again. I'm going for week in NW Highlands in mid-september and really want a telephoto before then.

After a few months' humming and hawing, I finally bought a Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 OIS WR for my XT-3. It's second-hand but pretty well immaculate. Traded in my 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS, so not too much of a blow. Early results are pretty encouraging, & being water-resistant means I don't have to worry when I'm in The Lake District. It tends to rain on occasion up there...

Right enough, it was the AF-S that I had.

I'm still holding out for the Z 24-200...its had excellent reviews but shipping has been delayed again & again. I'm going for week in NW Highlands in mid-september and really want a telephoto before then.

I'd defintely recommend giving the 70-300 AF-P a go. I love mine. I usually pack the 24-70/4 as well so in terms of focal length coverage, it compliments the 70-300 perfectly. The other thing that's worth bearing in mind is the 70-300 is faster than the 24-200, being a 5.6 at its narrowest aperture vs the 6.3 of the 24-200 (not to mention the extra reach)

What other lenses have you got with your Z camera and have you got the FTZ adaptor as well?

Lefty

Last edited:

advertisement

Back