advertisement

Leica M240

Thanks for the tip re the 6 bit code, Steve. It was one question I'd been meaning to ask as it seems 6-bit code lenses fetch slightly more on the used market (I'm looking at what Ffordes have in stock as a reference).

I really like 35mm too, finding it a particularly useful f/l. If Leica had chosen 35mm for the Q, I'd probably have one by now.

Gromit,

As a Leica admirer from the sidelines I'd say get the M240 if you can swing it, but don't sell your other kit to do it.

Joe

Personally I think the special thing has two elements, the glass and the rangefinder. Looking through a rangefinder is a different experience to looking through an SLR or EVF, and it’s why I use the M system.

yes, the rangefinder is special, BUT i've found that it can also be annoying when trying to frame very precisely. i do have the panasonic plug-in electronic finder now, so it's best of both wrolds.

Gromit,

If you buy the M240 you will need a few lenses so I thought I'd post this helpful buyer's chart to make the decisions easier.

Sealbkr.jpg

Joe

Although the Leica glass is excellent, I agree with Steve that you should not ignore the Voigtlander lenses, if you are on a budget. I use the 21/1.8 VM lens a fair bit - it's stunning at a tiny fraction of the 21/1.4 Summilux equivalent. If you're into pixel peeping and test charts, you'll see a subtle difference. But I am astonished how good the pictures look on an A2 print. I'm probably going to buy the new 50/1.2 Asph VM lens in due course, as I can't justify £4.5k for an used 509/1.0 Noctilux or £6.5k for the 0.95 version.

Yes, if I was buying very fast glass I’d be looking at Voigtlander. I had an f1 Noctilux, but focussing wide open was a real pain.

I've had a quick look around the www at the VM 50-1.2 which comes across as one very nice lens indeed, and if reports are to be believed is rather special. Another on my radar (and is slightly cheaper) is the Zeiss 50 f2 ZM.

Gromit,

I already have a 50/2 Summicron V5 (great lens). I want to use a super fast 50 (0.95-1.2) wide open for the shallow depth of field.

Charlie

Thanks all (again).

Not an M240, but off to take a look at an M262 this morning - not with any real intention to buy it, but just to have a play.

My first rangefinder was the M9. Also had an M Monochrom, now have an M7 and M10 and a Q. My son has a Bessa.

It is all about lenses. I was on a trip last weekend and others were very jealous about their compactness. I could live with the 35/f2 ASPH alone. There are great lenses old and new, I have a 90/f2.8 Tele-Elmarit from 1973 that cost £300 on eBay and a 90/f2 ASPH that cost £1,800 and just has stunning optics. I cold go on ...
Zeiss ZM lenses are very good, my son uses the 50/f2 as his stock lens, I have the 21/f2.8 that's as good as the Leica equivalent and one third the price.
There are also some cracking good Voightlander lenses, 15/f4.5 Mk3, 35/f2.5, 75/f1.8, but they also make some dodgy ones.

Obviously you pay more for the faster lenses. I have a 50/f1.4 ASPH. Bought it a couple of years ago for £2,000, it has been that price ±£100 for years. The f2 is actually sharper and still very good in low light.

M lenses are an investment and you won't lose money longterm, but it is a system you have to commit to. M9 and MM bodies hold their value, M6 bodies have gone up quite a bit recently. I expect there are lots of M240's around as the M10 is very popular.

It's a thing that if you like simple aperture priority photography, no bells and whistles, then it may be for you. Not a thing to do on an impulse and not for chopping and changing. M lenses become friends.

I've had a quick look around the www at the VM 50-1.2 which comes across as one very nice lens indeed, and if reports are to be believed is rather special. Another on my radar (and is slightly cheaper) is the Zeiss 50 f2 ZM.

Pretty sure I have a Voightlander 50/f1.2 not being used. happy to sell it.

The Zeiss 50 f2 ZM is superb. I had one before the Leica 50/f2. My son has one. The Z is £600 and will cost £450 to £500 used in good nick, so might as well get a new one. It's worth it.
https://theclassiccamera.com/epages/BT0261.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT0261/Products/1365-661

Thread Resurrection (nearly quoting an Alison Moyet song). :)

I'm in the throes of taking the Leica plunge right now; sure it's been a while, a lot of thinking has gone on, but am now ready. More than once the phrase 'f*ggit...you can't take it with you' has entered the equation. :D

Been weighing up the pros and cons of the various models (M8, M9, M240 & M-P) and whilst yes the older pair do have something of a following, I wouldn't mind having LV for when it's needed. The choice really boils down to the vanilla 240 or the P version. Quite like the idea of the P in that it's only in black - and more anonymous - the other stuff (ie the larger buffer etc) is of no interest as I don't hurry when taking pictures. The colour's not the be-all either, and would rather get a camera that's in the best possible condition for my money.

The P seems a rarer beast, and is around 500 quid more expensive, but going for the standard 240 means my recently-ordered Nokton 35 is paid for without going over budget. Is the P worth the extra outlay?

We're off to the Peak District on friday so it'd wonderful to take the M with me, and get to know it.

Thanks all. :)

I bought the M-E (240) when it came out and haven’t looked back - just before buying it I came to the same “you can’t take it with you” conclusion that you did.

Hope you get what you want.

I bought the M-E (240) when it came out and haven’t looked back - just before buying it I came to the same “you can’t take it with you” conclusion that you did.

Hope you get what you want.

Thanks Robby - got my eye on a couple of example of each (from dealers) so will be on the phone to them in the morning. Leaning towards the M-P (240), mainly down to the 'you'll wish you had' factor.

I bought a used M240 a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. It replaced an M8, which in turn had been preceded by an M6. I’ve used Leicas for getting on 25 years and the M240 is my favourite of all the ones I’ve used (IIIC, M2, M3, M6, M8 + a couple of SLRs).

I use mine with the multifunction grip, partly because I prefer a grip, but also because it stamps the files with GPS coordinates (and accurate time). My only complaint is that it can sometimes take a couple of minutes to get a GPS lock depending on how much sky the camera can ‘see’.

I bought mine from the Leica store in Manchester. They’re really helpful people, and offer a good warranty.

Gromit,

Nothing to add except it’s nice to see a Leica go to someone who will clearly enjoy it.

Joe

I bought a used M240 a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. It replaced an M8, which in turn had been preceded by an M6. I’ve used Leicas for getting on 25 years and the M240 is my favourite of all the ones I’ve used (IIIC, M2, M3, M6, M8 + a couple of SLRs).

I use mine with the multifunction grip, partly because I prefer a grip, but also because it stamps the files with GPS coordinates (and accurate time). My only complaint is that it can sometimes take a couple of minutes to get a GPS lock depending on how much sky the camera can ‘see’.

I bought mine from the Leica store in Manchester. They’re really helpful people, and offer a good warranty.

Thanks Steve, and also for the advice re the grip. Have heard it's a useful addition.

For my Leica-lust I'm going to place the blame squarely with my Dad. He once owned an M3, and amassed many thousands of slides taken with said camera. He always raved about it, and to this day (aged 79) he still regrets selling it.

advertisement

Back