advertisement

Coronavirus: Pubs 'may need to shut' to allow schools to reopen

Cav,

We've had fewer contract and die from COVID-19 than the UK has after correcting for population size, so it would appear so.

Canada
Population: 38 million
Confirmed COVID-19 cases: 118k
Deaths from COVID-19: 9k

UK
Population: 66 million
Confirmed COVID-19 case: 305k
Deaths from COVID-19: 46k

Joe
Your success in lowering mortality is because of a secret back channel from President Trump allowing the importation and use of hydroxychloroQAnon without the knowledge of your leaders who are in bed with George Soros, Bill Gates and Hilary Clinton.

The problem is that there are arguments for and against all the options, but the fact remains we have a pandemic and its very close to being out of control again in the UK. Opening the schools without pulling back on something else will likely be the straw that breaks the camel's back. To me as hard as it may seem to people pubs are the obvious choice. I know we have plenty on here saying they go to the pub now and all is wonderful, but even if that is true now once no one can drink outside due to the weather and with alcohol involved they have to become one of the places you are most likely to catch it. While it's undeniably sad for the publicans and those who like the pub, alcohol is available to buy, people can meet up outside of the pub and really at the end of the day putting the availability of one of the most damaging and additive drugs on the planet over the education of children is clearly not logical so if we must choose I think schools open and pubs close. Let's not forget, however, we are only here because our government is utterly inept, but the fact remains we are here.

It was more the suggestion made by a university lecturer of this parish that teachers should be locked away so that he could continue to go to the pub that raised eyebrows. My eyebrows were then jacked up even higher by the response that his students didn’t turn up to lectures and tutorials so it would be ok for him to continue to free-range in the community. It’s this I have an issue with. I’m not starting a teachers vs lecturers war promise!!

referring to me? if you must paraphrase me, then at least refer to me directly. I don't think I mentioned not turning up at tutorials.

If you were really interested, you may have asked me some more questions. Attendance at lectures varies hugely, and is a poor measure of engagement. Some modules have no lectures. Engagement is engagement with the learning process, facilitated through practice, problem solving, discussion - we use labs, tutorials, courseworks, 1-to-1s, and projects to develop this as students move through their degree.

I understand that, however I would have thought the 9k a year being spent by students would focus their minds!

you might have thought that, but not entirely the case. But attendance at lectures is a poor measure of engagement. There is often a correlation between timetabled time slot and attendance. That can also be said of tutorials and labs.

Lastly do you really think my proposal was serious? I love PFM, as there are so many pompous know-it-alls that have no sense of humour.

Yes, but the government has been arguing that the increased risk for schools opening is minimal. But now it isn’t? How’s that work then?

I think they're underestimating the risk involved in kids returning to schools, might be minimal per kid but they'll isolate like drunks and pass anything they catch around the family.

'Twas always thus.

There will be some natural modification of behaviour, pubs are quieter in the winter, Xmas will be pretty much cancelled. Kids will go back to School.

Currently the number of infections is slightly rising but deaths are not; we are doing much more testing. I feel we are in a much better place now than earlier in the year.

Unfortunately people will only isolate for so long.

I was dubious about this when they cited it as a reason for delaying lock down as long as possible but turns out it's very true.

Apparently it was very hard to maintain self isolation in the 1918 flu epidemic too.

I was dubious about this when they cited it as a reason for delaying lock down as long as possible but turns out it's very true.

Apparently it was very hard to maintain self isolation in the 1918 flu epidemic too.
Doing it early and properly in several countries has allowed much shorter isolation than the UK has ended up with.

In 1918 staying at home meant no communications at all for 99% of the population, no online deliveries in those days

Cav,

We've had fewer contract and die from COVID-19 than the UK has after correcting for population size, so it would appear so.

Canada
Population: 38 million
Confirmed COVID-19 cases: 118k
Deaths from COVID-19: 9k

UK
Population: 66 million
Confirmed COVID-19 case: 305k
Deaths from COVID-19: 46k

Joe
I am sure population density has nothing to do with that.

There is no doubt that the UK missed many opportunities to learn lessons from our European neighbours and was tardy in introducing lockdown restrictions. But we have left the EU and there is nothing to be learned from Johnny Foreigner.

It is far too early to tell whether the opening of pubs has had worse impact any more than opening other non-essential retail.

Whatever, there comes a point where economic survival will save more lives than Covid might take. This is for politicians to decide and to be judged on.

The problem is that there are arguments for and against all the options, but the fact remains we have a pandemic and its very close to being out of control again in the UK. Opening the schools without pulling back on something else will likely be the straw that breaks the camel's back. To me as hard as it may seem to people pubs are the obvious choice. I know we have plenty on here saying they go to the pub now and all is wonderful, but even if that is true now once no one can drink outside due to the weather and with alcohol involved they have to become one of the places you are most likely to catch it. While it's undeniably sad for the publicans and those who like the pub, alcohol is available to buy, people can meet up outside of the pub and really at the end of the day putting the availability of one of the most damaging and additive drugs on the planet over the education of children is clearly not logical so if we must choose I think schools open and pubs close. Let's not forget, however, we are only here because our government is utterly inept, but the fact remains we are here.
Do you have any evidence to back up any of your assertions. Your antipathy to alcohol is telling.

Schools go back, virtually impossible to make kids socially distance etc, it spreads like wildfire amongst them but hardly (if at all) affects the kids, they go to see grandparents at weekend ..... what could possibly go wrong... oh wait a minute...

Cav,

Most Canadians live in ten large cities (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, etc.), where population density is high. Elsewhere in the country the population density is low as is the population.

If you think it’s safe to drink in a pub, please do.

I have exactly zero influence on UK policies. I was just pointing out the difference between the likelihood of contracting COVID-19 in a school, where masks can be worn, and in a pub, where it’s difficult at least for patrons. I know that no one ever drinks too much, so you can obviously dismiss any concern that a drunk person might not comply with infectious disease mitigation measures.

I have two high-risk people in my life — my elderly, frail mother and my wife who has lung issues — so I’m minimizing my risk of being infected out of concern for them.

Joe

There will be some natural modification of behaviour, pubs are quieter in the winter, Xmas will be pretty much cancelled. Kids will go back to School.

Currently the number of infections is slightly rising but deaths are not; we are doing much more testing. I feel we are in a much better place now than earlier in the year.

Not in any part of the UK I’ve lived in. And that is a lot of different places.

Schools go back, virtually impossible to make kids socially distance etc, it spreads like wildfire amongst them but hardly (if at all) affects the kids, they go to see grandparents at weekend ..... what could possibly go wrong... oh wait a minute...

Maybe though I think it’s still not clear how contagious young children are. But anyway it shouldn’t happen. I mean the grandparents who prefer to err on the side of caution should know not to hug their grandchildren, maybe not to look after them even. Strange times I know, bad times.

advertisement

Back