advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if a player gets a 2nd yellow card, we should also check his first yellow card, perhaps it was a referee mistake?
The VAR rules are clear, players better abstain from their first yellow. If anything I think VAR is used too much and not too little.
Omer.
That not what happened. It was the second yellow that needed checking.

I’ve been watching football since 1968 and at every season during that time it’s been modern. :)

Excessive rolling about, feigning contact ( to the face, for example ) and injury are a form of cheating and should be treated as such within the rules.
Think you know exactly what was meant ;)

That not what happened. It was the second yellow that needed checking.

Of course, in this case. But in another, if a player gets a first card for nothing, and then a second yellow card, then the first card becomes "game changing" as well so it should be checked retrospectively?

All this chat but no mention of the improvement Mikel Arteta has made to Arsenal since he’s been there. They look like a proper drilled unit now. If he keeps this up, City will be having him back when Pep eventually leaves. ;)

Of course, in this case. But in another, if a player gets a first card for nothing, and then a second yellow card, then the first card becomes "game changing" as well so it should be checked retrospectively?
You make a very good point.
What could happen is VAR checks all the yellows in real time but in the background as the game goes on and then signal is made to rescind blatant errors when play stops for a corner or throw. Therefore no delay to play.

All this chat but no mention of the improvement Mikel Arteta has made to Arsenal since he’s been there. They look like a proper drilled unit now. If he keeps this up, City will be having him back when Pep eventually leaves. ;)
Arteta has made improvements to Arsenal since he's been there.;)

I don't want to get embroiled in a long discussion about VAR but surely to goodness it should be used to check decisions that are likely to be game defining?
A quick review of the incident involving Kovacic and Xhaka yesterday would have resulted (imo) in both teams retaining a full compliment of players for the last half hour and a yellow for Xhaka for (to put it politely) unsportsmanlike conduct.As it was a poor decision by Taylor killed the game stone dead - it was the FA Cup Final FFS!

Yes. It’s almost as if the people responsible for implementing VAR want it to fail, and so are deliberately implementing it in a way that discredits it.

It should, and could, be very simple and easy, but those fat me in suits at the FA who live in a world of patronage, want to make it complicated and clumsy

The second yellow card to Kovacic was definitely wrong. Ian Wright and Alan Shearer made that clear on MOTD this morning. I'd expect nothing different from Anthony Taylor though. He's a crap referee and should never have been used for a second time in a Cup Final.

"Lampard, meanwhile, struggled to comprehend how VAR was unable to get involved and overturn the decision to send off Kovacic when replays appeared to indicate it was Xhaka who initiated contact.

"He said: ‘What kind of rule is that? There’s always been a rule about you can’t challenge two yellows and all this stuff but someone is sitting there really stubbornly sticking to their guns on that one.

‘We have VAR so let’s use it as much as possible to get the right decision. That’s nowhere near, that changes the game. It was never a red card.’" https://metro

It is obvious to us in a few seconds in televisonland whether a decision is correct. Likewise in Europe. In England though the process is strung out for a long time and this has made watching the game a chore.

The FA is at fault here. In England refs can't even look at pitch-side monitors, which are used in The Champions and European Leagues. It wouldn't surprise me if this was down to some Brexit nutters in The FA. However things are changing.

"Pierluigi Collina, the former Italian referee, who is now the chairman of Fifa’s Referees’ Committee, will oversee VARs and he has made it clear that he wants the system to be used the same way across the world ...

"It means Collina will now be in charge instead of David Elleray, the former English referee who is IFAB's technical director and had been seen as the chief architect of VAR."

UEFA and FIFA have been mired in corruption. They and the FA should be questioned and watched very carefully.

Jack

Arteta has made improvements to Arsenal since he's been there.;)
I agree. ;)

The second yellow card to Kovacic was definitely wrong. Ian Wright and Alan Shearer made that clear on MOTD this morning. I'd expect nothing different from Anthony Taylor though. He's a crap referee and should never be used for a second time in a Cup Final.
That was already his second cup final.

<snip>

"Pierluigi Collina, the former Italian referee, who is now the chairman of Fifa’s Referees’ Committee, will oversee VARs and he has made it clear that he wants the system to be used the same way across the world ...

<snip>
Jack
Kind of what I already said earlier.

Decent game. Chelsea played really well in the first 20-odd mins. If they can keep that up for 90 mins and for the majority of a season they could easily challenge the top two. Congrats to Arsenal.

In its first season, the VAR 'system' performed well. It is fallible though as it still relies on human referees. Amazon no doubt are working on that.

(And on a side note, all the best to Eddie Howe).

That way madness lies!

You make a very good point.
What could happen is VAR checks all the yellows in real time but in the background as the game goes on and then signal is made to rescind blatant errors when play stops for a corner or throw. Therefore no delay to play.
Thia is logical but IMO too much VAR. The mind looks back all the time, and the here and now of the game loses meaning.
Omer.

The second yellow card to Kovacic was definitely wrong. Ian Wright and Alan Shearer made that clear on MOTD this morning. I'd expect nothing different from Anthony Taylor though. He's a crap referee and should never have been used for a second time in a Cup Final.

"Lampard, meanwhile, struggled to comprehend how VAR was unable to get involved and overturn the decision to send off Kovacic when replays appeared to indicate it was Xhaka who initiated contact.

"He said: ‘What kind of rule is that? There’s always been a rule about you can’t challenge two yellows and all this stuff but someone is sitting there really stubbornly sticking to their guns on that one.

‘We have VAR so let’s use it as much as possible to get the right decision. That’s nowhere near, that changes the game. It was never a red card.’" https://metro

It is obvious to us in a few seconds in televisonland whether a decision is correct. Likewise in Europe. In England though the process is strung out for a long time and this has made watching the game a chore.

The FA is at fault here. In England refs can't even look at pitch-side monitors, which are used in The Champions and European Leagues. It wouldn't surprise me if this was down to some Brexit nutters in The FA. However things are changing.

"It means Collina will now be in charge instead of David Elleray, the former English referee who is IFAB's technical director and had been seen as the chief architect of VAR."

UEFA and FIFA have been mired in corruption. They and the FA should be questioned and watched very carefully.

Jack
Oddly the ref did look at the monitor in a league match against Leicester very recently. As a result Eddie nketiah was sent off.

I don't understand why it doesn't happen more.

Commiserations on the defeat!

Thia is logical but IMO too much VAR. The mind looks back all the time, and the here and now of the game loses meaning.
Omer.
As you say it is just opinions but I think if technology can be used to right blatant wrongs without interfering with flow then it should be used. Rescinding yellow cards in the background is a case in point and the game actually gains in meaning as it has not been ruined by an incorrect sending off.

For example a player gets a yellow card for nothing in the first half. VAR looks at it in the background and decides it was an incorrect decision. Signal to the ref is made and the decision is reversed at the next natural break in play such as free kick, corner or throw in.
This is actually simpler and does not involve any of the delays of other VAR decisions currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back