advertisement

Coronavirus: Pubs 'may need to shut' to allow schools to reopen

Marchy,

It’s clearly a Gorn’s head in profile. I’m surprised you didn’t see that.

kirk-james_featured.jpg

Joe

I have to say The Shat looks as if he’s having a tough time keeping a straight face there.

I’d say ‘some room for improvement’, the dog is a miniature schnauzer, the left had one is a fully stocked shopping trolley and right hand one is 2 people peering up to a blood red moon :).

Well, as any FZ fan will tell you, when God created the poodle he was trying to build a schnauzer, but he, er, fouled up.

There are many ways to limit social interaction. Kids need to be in school, if they have to bring in other measures to facilitate this then I think that is perfectly reasonable.

Some pubs have adapted brilliantly & deserve the chance to stay open, some may have to close.

Some seriously crap logic involved, although at one level it is absolutely right. The same logic would also suggest that all people over 60 are killed. Both ideas are nonsense.

If the young really are such minor vectors, as claimed, whether they at school or not, matters not. If there is a trade to be had school v. pubs etc., that implies that both are significant vectors.

That said, people are seemingly ignoring common-sense distancing more and more, not least in pubs and the like.

Some seriously crap logic involved, although at one level it is absolutely right. The same logic would also suggest that all people over 60 are killed. Both ideas are nonsense.

If the young really are such minor vectors, as claimed, whether they at school or not, matters not. If there is a trade to be had school v. pubs etc., that implies that both are significant vectors.

That said, people are seemingly ignoring common-sense distancing more and more, not least in pubs and the like.

I think the idea must be that the trade off is between pubs and school for older kids, say high school age plus. Bur who can say? The professor who made the announcement hasn’t revealed his thinking, only a rough and ready statement of his conclusions.

And anyway, why can’t proper safe social distancing be vigorously implemented in pubs? Everyone seated and served, for example. Landlords implement closing time for fear of losing their licence, they can enforce social distancing.

And anyway, why can’t proper safe social distancing be implemented in pubs? Everyone seated and served, for example.

Because lots of people, especially the 20-30's, are getting sick of the faff.

I also suspect that most pubs would be loss-making if they stuck precisely to the rules, unless they had large gardens and the weather stayed good. They'd also need doormen/bouncers.

Much as I enjoy alcohol I find it amazing that people think in a pandemic that recreational drug consumption is as important as schooling children, sure you can reduce transmission in pubs but it will still take place. If you want to stop whining about pubs let people grow their own marijuana, they won’t complain about being pubs being shut because they won’t be bothered.

Prediction - infection rates in the general public will continue to trickle northwards and deaths associated with C19 will slowly but slowly head the same way.

Beyond that, I'll not be tempted as rebellion amongst the masses of ill-educated and uncaring is tricky to predict, as is the response of the/any Government, and the response of Joe Average to that.

Students, teachers and instructors can wear a mask, but how do patrons in a pub drink with a mask on? Add to that the correlation between amount of alcohol consumed and covidiocy.

Joe
I have been to my local daily since it chose to open and all seems to be well ordered and sensible. Canadians may be different....

Cav,

I have been to my local daily since it chose to open and all seems to be well ordered and sensible. Canadians may be different....

We've had fewer contract and die from COVID-19 than the UK has after correcting for population size, so it would appear so.

Canada
Population: 38 million
Confirmed COVID-19 cases: 118k
Deaths from COVID-19: 9k

UK
Population: 66 million
Confirmed COVID-19 case: 305k
Deaths from COVID-19: 46k

Joe

Well maybe lecturers should be judged like teachers on their engagement.

University students are adults and we cannot force them to come to classes.

The only sanction we have is when a course is accredited in some way and non attendance breaks the requirements for that accreditation.

But even then students can decide not to attend.

Stephen

University students are adults and we cannot force them to come to classes.

The only sanction we have is when a course is accredited in some way and non attendance breaks the requirements for that accreditation.

But even then students can decide not to attend.

Stephen

I understand that, however I would have thought the 9k a year being spent by students would focus their minds!

It was more the suggestion made by a university lecturer of this parish that teachers should be locked away so that he could continue to go to the pub that raised eyebrows. My eyebrows were then jacked up even higher by the response that his students didn’t turn up to lectures and tutorials so it would be ok for him to continue to free-range in the community. It’s this I have an issue with. I’m not starting a teachers vs lecturers war promise!!

Went with SWMBO to my local last night for a couple of hours or so and a decent bit of nosh. The Landlord been operating since July 4th with just below 40% capacity and isn't open Mon/Tues and not til 4pm Wed/Thurs.... just about keeping afloat he told me. Aslo said if he has to re-close for anything over a month, he's go under and new licenees will have to be found, sad news

Much as I enjoy alcohol I find it amazing that people think in a pandemic that recreational drug consumption is as important as schooling children, sure you can reduce transmission in pubs but it will still take place. If you want to stop whining about pubs let people grow their own marijuana, they won’t complain about being pubs being shut because they won’t be bothered.

Went with SWMBO to my local last night for a couple of hours or so and a decent bit of nosh. The Landlord been operating since July 4th with just below 40% capacity and isn't open Mon/Tues and not til 4pm Wed/Thurs.... just about keeping afloat he told me. Aslo said if he has to re-close for anything over a month, he's go under and new licenees will have to be found, sad news
It’s not just about the drinking. It’s also livelihoods.

It’s also well-being and mental health, people are finding the isolation increasingly difficult.

advertisement

Back