advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Nice. Good old Seiko lume that you can see from space. I like the 4 o'clock crown too. It's a sensible place to put it on a sports watch. Is the 8 series movement the replacement for the 6r15 that went in a lot of their mid to upper range watches?

91-C01456-C8-C1-480-E-9-CB2-FC068446-A5-D2.jpg

monster in the morning

Nice. Good old Seiko lume that you can see from space. I like the 4 o'clock crown too. It's a sensible place to put it on a sports watch. Is the 8 series movement the replacement for the 6r15 that went in a lot of their mid to upper range watches?

Your not wrong about the lume its amazing ,the 4R36 movement is in the low range 6R15 mid and the 8L35 in the top models I believe
only 3 watches use the 8L35 but its been round for 20 years

I just dug this out. Apologies for the crappy phone pic. So far it has performed well such that I can't recall why I 'retired' it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W13TRkCxQAFqRcQP8

It's my early 70s Seiko 5 Automatic. IIRC it cost about £70-80 in around 1974. It needs work...

Does anyone have experience of using the Seiko Service Centre in Berkshire at..

SC House, Vanwall Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 4UW, UK ?

I'm hoping for a general clean etc., and a new crystal.... but would also negotiate a decent price for refinishing the case if poss. Bought now.. it would be an £800 watch.
W13TRkCxQAFqRcQP8

Question for you all re: servicing. My main watch, a fairly simple chronometer (officially certified, no less) is now 8 years old. Apparently it should be serviced every 5 years or so, although since I alternate (these days around a month on the wrist with a month 'rest') due to having another favourite watch. Anyway, it still keeps 'COSC' time, i.e. within the range - in my case it loses about 1.5s per day, which is in spec, and has been like this since new. The watch is otherwise almost as new - very few marks etc. I take it that it's safe to leave it for a service until its timekeeping starts to waver? Services are quite expensive and I've heard a lot of bad things about unnecessary work being done; as far as I can see, there's nothing external needing doing, other than (perhaps) a very light polish of the retaining clip and clasp. What have others here done?

Question for you all re: servicing. My main watch, a fairly simple chronometer (officially certified, no less) is now 8 years old. Apparently it should be serviced every 5 years or so, although since I alternate (these days around a month on the wrist with a month 'rest') due to having another favourite watch. Anyway, it still keeps 'COSC' time, i.e. within the range - in my case it loses about 1.5s per day, which is in spec, and has been like this since new. The watch is otherwise almost as new - very few marks etc. I take it that it's safe to leave it for a service until its timekeeping starts to waver? Services are quite expensive and I've heard a lot of bad things about unnecessary work being done; as far as I can see, there's nothing external needing doing, other than (perhaps) a very light polish of the retaining clip and clasp. What have others here done?

Ten years is fine for Rolex, any particular reason why this one would be any more?

I wouldn't bother unless the timekeeping is well out, especially at the inflated prices you'll be charged for the privilege.
Re: servicing, I have a 90s Seamaster (Chronometer) and a 60s military Seamaster 30, both of which have been serviced by Duncan at https://genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/ who charges fairly and offers superb customer service and advice. He's Patek Philippe trained and Rolex accredited.

Reactions: JTC
I had a good experience twice with Seiko service centre. But that was fixed price service on a Kinematic. I don’t know whether they will do the whole polishing thing.

recently had an oldish Breitling Aerospace titanium watch service, battery, glass, faceplate and polish. Looks like new but was £800. I declined the £650 for a new Titanium strap!

Ernest Jones. I should have known

I have a nice Tag Heuer quartz 2000 which I bought many moons ago, and use it for timing race starts when the need arises. The chronometer second and minute hands decided not to play ball recently, and I thought it could probably do with a new battery and reseal anyway.

Since I moved down sarf, I haven't needed any repairs and I've always used Watch Doctors in the past as they were local.
This time I dropped into Ernest Jones, as they are Tag dealers, and they sent it away for checking, to quote for a repair.
I had a phone call more than three weeks later, telling me that a new battery wouldn't fix it, and I needed a repair at £442. My interlocutor seemed surprised when I told him to send it back unrepaired.

Out of desperation, I sent it to Watch Doctors, who fixed it with a new battery and reseal for £38 incl RMSD, turning it round in less than a week.

I really should have known.

Above is ebay image of the watch I mentioned. Apparently in production from 1971-79. Mine is a bit more scratched and has a very worn 'crystal. Also slightly different strap. Model is 6106-5480. They seem to go for anything from around 150 to 300 USD so not especially valuable and therefore maybe not worth much investment. Just a clean.. service and a new crystal if poss.
Another thought.. If I can get the movement out.. I may have a go at polishing the case up myself and then get the movement fixed. Awkward opening on the back though. I've had it out before but it was difficult. IIRC four little slots give access to retaining springs inside.

Sadly, just called Seiko UK Service Centre and they say they have no parts of any description for this watch.
Sent a query to The Watch Lab.. who seem to claim to be miracle workers (no doubt at considerable cost) It will be interesting to see their reply. :)

advertisement

Back