advertisement

Lots of folks not wearing face masks

Whereas arranging society so it runs solely for the benefit of piss artists is ok...

Mrs Mull uses 'off the shelf' spectacles as a back up, because she is mostly a Contact Lens wearer. She went off to Asda yesterday to pick up a pair to replace ones she'd broken. She had had a couple of pairs from Asda and knew EXACTLY what she wanted to purchase.

When she arrived.. wearing her mask... at the Asda 'opticians' dept., she was a told to not stand 'there'. but to stand 'there'.. a different position but actually closer to the receptionist.
"Do you have an appointment?"
"No.. I just want to buy a pair of those specs off that rack there" (points to rack. only feet away, behind tape)
"You still need an appointment"
"Why?"
"Because we cannot see anyone without an appointment"
"I don't want to be 'seen'.. I want to purchase a pair of ready made spectacles from that rack there..."
" You still need an appointment"
"Why?..... I just want to buy a pair of those.... points again...just like these... but not broken..."
"You need an appointment"
"Ok.. there's clearly nobody waiting. make me an appointment for about half an hour's time and I'll come back when I've done a bit of shopping.
"That's not possible.. an appointment will need two to three days notice"...

Mrs Mull went to Sainsbury's instead. I think I would have gone straight to Customer Services and complained...
..and then gone to Sainsbury's.

I fully endorse and practice all the safety advice.. but I also recognise that it is Manna from Heaven for a certain type of 'Jobsworth'.

Around me here in rural Norfolk just about everyone I see is adhering to the rules and wearing a mask and still social distancing properly, I'm genuinely surprised as would have thought rural folk might be a bit less invested in it all, but seems the opposite is true... I'm very impressed. My work colleagues who live in Sheffield, Milton Keynes and London report a somewhat different picture in urban environments.

Well, it could be that there is a high rate of asymptomatic infection in the relatively young and fit population you would find working on a building site - ie lots of them had/have it but few if any show symptoms. In Treviso there is a migrant/asylum seeker centre. 293 migrants, 22 staff, all tested the other day, 129 positives all asymptomatic. A similar situation in a migrant centre in Jesolo. Judging from the pictures the lads are all mostly young, fit, skinny Africans, unlikely to have any of the known vulnerabilities. Same in the Italian town of Vo, an early cluster of infection where everyone got tested twice - 40% of those who tested positive were asymptomatic. So maybe Covid-19 can lurk away in the healthy population quite contentedly. Realising this early on is maybe how North East Italy has done well so far.

Young and fit lol, have you been on a site recently? Most blokes are struggling just to keep themselves inside their T shirt and trousers.

I've resigned myself to the fact I will pick it up somewhere along the way, from either a site like I described, a care home or the many shop/cafe/pub/hotel staff I come into contact with who aren't wearing any PPE either.

Has anyone considered there may be people who might be exempt from wearing masks? Also, getting them to justify this in a place of work or in public may leave the accuser in hot water; Disability Discrimination Act.

Technically, I don't have to wear one. Lung Damage. I choose to wear a visor as it affords others protection, protects my eyes and I can breathe.

Where I live in France if I attempted to enter the local supermarket sans mask I would be refused entry.
Is it my imagination or does the UK have more than its fair share of idiots?

That’s stating the bleeding obvious. Exhibit A: all the clowns that have been hoodwinked by the Cummings administration.

Has anyone considered there may be people who might be exempt from wearing masks? Also, getting them to justify this in a place of work or in public may leave the accuser in hot water; Disability Discrimination Act.

Technically, I don't have to wear one. Lung Damage. I choose to wear a visor as it affords others protection, protects my eyes and I can breathe.
I reckon visors are good, possibly undervalued. It is thought that Covid-19 spreads by droplets, aerosol and touch. A visor should do a decent job of keeping other folks droplets away from you and yours from them - they will just splatter on the visor. It won’t help with aerosol transmission either way because you have to breathe, but then again a cloth mask won’t be that effective for aerosols either because the holes are too big. And people fiddle with visors less than some masks, so it just might be a little better from the touch point of view. I bought myself a couple, just in case things get worse and I have to go into a high risk situation like crowded public transport or a hospital. Haven’t felt the need to use them yet, thankfully. Masks do us fine.

The big majority of people aren't wearing face masks anyway, they're wearing face coverings. That's the term that the government use in their statements.

AFAIK, a face mask is made to at least N95 standard and can be snugly fitted to the nose and face. A face covering is any old piece of crap that has some unknown chance of catching the virus, maybe 20 - 50%, but mostly it just looks convincing.

However, people wearing what they think are masks will inevitably ignore the second part of the message, namely stay 2m apart and wash your hands before you touch something that's going in your mouth.

This government has failed again and again and again with the simple task of explaining things to people. They really are a bunch of arrogant winkers.

The big majority of people aren't wearing face masks anyway, they're wearing face coverings. That's the term that the government use in their statements.

AFAIK, a face mask is made to at least N95 standard and can be snugly fitted to the nose and face. A face covering is any old piece of crap that has some unknown chance of catching the virus, maybe 20 - 50%, but mostly it just looks convincing.

However, people wearing what they think are masks will inevitably ignore the second part of the message, namely stay 2m apart and wash your hands before you touch something that's going in your mouth.

This government has failed again and again and again with the simple task of explaining things to people. They really are a bunch of arrogant winkers.
I thank you made a typo at the end there...

back from waitrose, all staff in masks, all customers in masks, apart from a little old lady who seemed to think a flight eye shade would act as a face covering. It was all highly unsatisfactory until security intervened, offered her a free mask, which she refused. Cops arrived and forcibly removed her from the store.

Which is why I choose to shop at Waitrose!

As someone who wears a face covering as per Gov requirements can I explain that they are used to minimise risk to others not the wearer. Also that whatever the quality of a mask, it is effective only if worn correctly.

Of course, being stupid, I never keep distance and never wash my hands,

I suggest you stay home, stay safe and shut the flip up...

I reckon visors are good, possibly undervalued. It is thought that Covid-19 spreads by droplets, aerosol and touch. A visor should do a decent job of keeping other folks droplets away from you and yours from them - they will just splatter on the visor. It won’t help with aerosol transmission either way because you have to breathe, but then again a cloth mask won’t be that effective for aerosols either because the holes are too big. And people fiddle with visors less than some masks, so it just might be a little better from the touch point of view. I bought myself a couple, just in case things get worse and I have to go into a high risk situation like crowded public transport or a hospital. Haven’t felt the need to use them yet, thankfully. Masks do us fine.
I’m worried about eddies,

AVoX2ZB.jpg

As someone who wears a face covering as per Gov requirements can I explain that they are used to minimise risk to others not the wearer. Also that whatever the quality of a mask, it is effective only if worn correctly.

Of course, being stupid, I never keep distance and never wash my hands,

I suggest you stay home, stay safe and shut the flip up...

Nice try ginger troll

advertisement

Back