advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know it wasn’t looked at while play carried on and the ref given the nod it was ok?

In any case, lots of things didn’t go for Chelsea today but Lampard isn’t the type who will dwell on it.

Arsenal seem to know how to win FA Cups, Chelsea a bit meh and dodgy decisions aside, didn't look good enough. By the way Brian, I see yet another potential buyer has got a sight of Ashley's accounts, you must despair that you'll never be rid of him.

Arsenal seem to know how to win FA Cups, Chelsea a bit meh and dodgy decisions aside, didn't look good enough. By the way Brian, I see yet another buyer has got a sight of Ashley's accounts, you must despair that you'll never be rid.
I will not believe anything about any deals until it is reported as done and the parasite has gone.

At least I’m one of the small number of Newcastle fans who saw us win the Fairs Cup in ‘69. I’m luckier than many.

Ref had a poor game but injuries did for Chelsea.

Any chance VAR can work better next season (don’t really understand when it can and can’t be used - a review of today’s second yellow for starters)

When it was finally looked at after the game, it can be seen that the ball was on the line. Just. But my main point was that it wasn’t even looked at.
Fair enough, it should have been.

I've since heard on the radio there is a photo showing the ball over the line. The footage on the been showed otherwise. For now I'm sticking with my version of events!

Surely that's the point. It's borderline. There's a photo showing the ball over the line... probably a few others showing that it's not. It spoils it. Not just for the spectator, for the fan, for the player, for the ref. Let the decision stand unless one team wants to chance a review on it, knowing that they have a limited number of reviews. Who wants to have to wait for a verdict that could take minutes for an unlimited number of decisions, taking away momentum from one team or the other?
Football is a game, not a science. Just like any other game. It cannot be judged on clinical margins, that takes away half of the post game drink in the pub, the element of chance, the "we woz robbed", the "we got lucky". It takes away the celebration. It renders the whole thing soulless.
Get VAR to avoid the obvious mistakes - yes. But don't take away my enjoyment of this or any other game.

Surely that's the point. It's borderline. There's a photo showing the ball over the line... probably a few others showing that it's not. It spoils it. Not just for the spectator, for the fan, for the player, for the ref. Let the decision stand unless one team wants to chance a review on it, knowing that they have a limited number of reviews. Who wants to have to wait for a verdict that could take minutes for an unlimited number of decisions, taking away momentum from one team or the other?
Football is a game, not a science. Just like any other game. It cannot be judged on clinical margins, that takes away half of the post game drink in the pub, the element of chance, the "we woz robbed", the "we got lucky". It takes away the celebration. It renders the whole thing soulless.
Get VAR to avoid the obvious mistakes - yes. But don't take away my enjoyment of this or any other game.
I think you just need to get rid of it. There will always be borderline decisions. By moving things along to obvious mistakes don't you just create a new border between obvious and less obvious?

Willian and Kante might play for Chelsea today, so they could slaughter Arsenal.

Aubameyang engineered a move to Chelsea in January and his agents contacted the club. He was turned down because he's 31 and wanted the highest wage of any player in the history of Chelsea.

He ain't bad though.

Jack
Yeah, quite good. It was Arsenal’s day; usually is against Chelsea in cup finals. (Please allow me this rare moment of smugness).

the game turned on Chelsea injuries and a strange refereeing decision... never a second yellow and Xhaka milked it , like many payers do in fairness.... my late father used to say that the luckiest team won the cup, my team Tranmere Rovers were spanked by Utd in January at the start of their impressive run, Arsenal knocked them out and got lucky today so I'm claiming we'd have won it if luck was on our side! ;)

Last edited:
I’d sooner leave it down to ref himself to decide if he feels it necessary to have another look. Course, the ref who made the error yesterday was only a few feet away from the incident and had a great view. Not perfect of course, but it can’t be worse than how VAR has been implemented in England.

I say the bit in bold because I heard recently Fifa took over control of VAR on 1st July and want a uniform protocol used by everyone mainly in order to end the PL’s variation.

The PL truly is run by a bunch of ‘we know best’ incompetent, know-nowts.

Who was rolling around and brought it on the self?

You do watch modern football? It was an observation on the subject. Not just today's game.
Your opinion may differ.
I’ve been watching football since 1968 and at every season during that time it’s been modern. :)

Excessive rolling about, feigning contact ( to the face, for example ) and injury are a form of cheating and should be treated as such within the rules.

You do watch modern football? It was an observation on the subject. Not just today's game.
Your opinion may differ.

Other than the first sentence the rest of your original post below post reads very much like a comment on yesterday’s game. Yesterday, the player that was rolling around was an Arsenal player, and he didn’t bring anything on himself, his play acting bought a red card for the Chelsea player.

VAR officials are poor but fans only really complain when it doesn't go their way.
On the line when the goalkeeper caught it so ok.
Some of the other decisions were dire, but players rolling around like arse holes have brought it on themselves.
Thought Arsenal deserved the win in all honesty.

David Luiz on Instagtam showing his lack of class holding the Cup with a Thank You Chelsea message. Tool.
Unfortunate injuries to say the least.
Never a second yellow. If a match changing decision is blatantly incorrect use VAR.

Never a second yellow. If a match changing decision is blatantly incorrect use VAR.

So if a player gets a 2nd yellow card, we should also check his first yellow card, perhaps it was a referee mistake?
The VAR rules are clear, players better abstain from their first yellow. If anything I think VAR is used too much and not too little.
Omer.

If a match changing decision is blatantly incorrect use VAR.

Yes. It’s almost as if the people responsible for implementing VAR want it to fail, and so are deliberately implementing it in a way that discredits it.

It should, and could, be very simple and easy, but those fat me in suits at the FA who live in a world of patronage, want to make it complicated and clumsy

#14times

In all honesty, the injuries and sending off did for Chelsea, however not to take anything away from The Arsenal, they seem to know what each other are doing, and they are starting to defend, Frankie Lampard seems to be a very promising manager indeed and Chelsea will be there or thereabouts for aa good while.

Arteta in!

Other than the first sentence the rest of your original post below post reads very much like a comment on yesterday’s game. Yesterday, the player that was rolling around was an Arsenal player, and he didn’t bring anything on himself, his play acting bought a red card for the Chelsea player.
Xhaka is a prime example of a cheating ****. Pedro at the end throwing himself about went well I thought.

I've said before VAR in principle is a good idea but, the laws are still open to interpretation by the official on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back