advertisement

Next Labour Leader: Keir Starmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope you’re right, Johnson’s bluster and waffle was always a thin veil covering an obvious lack of substance.

I tend to absorb my news from a variety of sources, but like watching the BBC 6 o’clock news to try to gauge what is going on ‘out there’ rather than just what’s going on in my bubble. I go to my ‘man in the pub’ to hear what’s being picked up in the real world, which does mean I have to drink beer too. Such a shame.
Watch him waffle and bluster with that trade mark irritating vocal delivery punctuated by finger jabbing and observe the shifty looks of his cabinet appointees. It seems amazing that this is actually an official Downing St production- it looks more like a Panorama fly on the wall investigation piece!

https://twitter.com/borisjohnson/status/1285655538467049472?s=21

If a second wave of the virus hits hard (which I think more than likely) BJ will not survive it (literally and metaphorically).

It's a giant step for Tories rejecting Johnson to turn to Starmer, why not another Tory again? That is why Starmer needs to argue positively for what he believes, if he really believes in anything...

I see Lansman's lost the plot now.

I'd like to see the Left fighting the GS positions in Unite and Unison and arguing for a clean break with the Labour Party to set up something new, green, committed to health, education, peace, fairness and the TU movement. I see it as essential to counter liberal nationalism, as well as the real threat of extreme nationalism, as it's already clear that Starmer has nothing to offer but a return to the 90s.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-for-joining-labour-attack-on-whistleblowers

Any Labour MPs got the nerve to tweet support for Seth Rogen I wonder? This is a fairly balanced piece in the Guardian (for once)

“[As] a Jewish person I was fed a huge amount of lies about Israel my entire life,” Rogen told the comedian and actor Marc Maron in an episode of Maron’s WTF podcast.

“They never tell you that, ‘Oh, by the way, there were people there’. They make it seem like it was just like sitting there, like the f*cking door’s open.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/29/seth-rogen-israel-palestinians-jewish-actor

Going well for our leader.

"A more fruitful strategy for Boris Johnson at prime minister’s questions might be damage limitation. To accept that Keir Starmer is far brighter, better prepared and more obviously sincere and try to dead-bat his way through the half-hour with short, anodyne responses. It might not be the rallying cry for the Tory troops that he would like to give, but it would sure as hell be better than being comprehensively owned by the Labour leader week after week.

But Boris is temperamentally incapable of such an act of self-preservation. His natural instinct is for destruction, both of himself and everything around him. So while Starmer is The Daddy, Johnson is visibly regressing in front of our eyes. When he first became PM, he would act the adolescent: Kevin the teenager. Then he slipped back to the grumpy 10-year-old. Now he is like a toddler barely out of nappies. At the current rate of progress, his baby son will soon be reading him bedtime stories.

What’s more, it appears Boris either is unaware of his decline or believes it to be of little consequence. Or possibly both. He may even be right for the time being. After all, most people aren’t paying much attention to his weekly half-hour of humiliation, he has an 80-seat majority, and an election is four years off. Yet his lies and tantrums still have the power to corrode. And few prime ministers have done more to undermine democracy than he has."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...or-with-no-clothes-and-its-not-a-pretty-sight
This was the man they invited on to ‘Have I got News for You’ on a regular basis just to laugh at. Enough said.

as it's already clear that Starmer has nothing to offer but a return to the 90s.
We've got no idea what Starmer is going to do and we may well not know at the time he becomes PM should that event happen. Look at Johnson after a year. Is he going to deliver low everything for his backers or is he going to deliver for his party and address some of the needs of the new conservative supporters? We still don't know and the two are wholly incompatible.

Winning an election by being more Tory than the Tories will only suit closet Tories

Lame little insults and a chance to look forward to more glorious opposition, well done you.

It is interesting watching Len using member's donations to try and further a personal agenda, reminds of another party whose donors expect to call the tune using shareholder's money, who could that be I wonder? Good old Len, sooner he fvcks off into well deserved anonymity the better chance of actually winning the odd election.

You heard it here first peeps

"In an interview with the Observer, Unite leader Len McCluskey said there was “no doubt” the union’s ruling executive would be demanding a review of the millions it donates to the Labour party in the wake of the six-figure settlements."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/01/unite-warns-labour-on-antisemitism-payouts
Gotta love that shit-stirring headline. Typical Guardian (or, rather, Observer).

I can see Unite scaling down donations but it's hard to see them pulling the plug entirely. Where else are they going to go?

Might be scaling down my own contributions soon - waiting to see how the NEC elections go.

Lame little insults and a chance to look forward to more glorious opposition, well done you.

It is interesting watching Len using member's donations to try and further a personal agenda, reminds of another party whose donors expect to call the tune using shareholder's money, who could that be I wonder? Good old Len, sooner he fvcks off into well deserved anonymity the better chance of actually winning the odd election.
Like it or not, all donations (including those of other unions, large private and corporate donations) come with an agenda attached.

Labour relies on large donations from several unions and still falls way short of the finacial firepower of the Conservatives. I would rather those large donations came from unions, rather than big business. For me, the clue is in the name of the party.

However, none of this is satisfactory and we should add reform of political party finances to the long list of essential democratic reforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back