advertisement

Coronavirus: Pubs 'may need to shut' to allow schools to reopen

15lE8si.jpg

Joe, thanks for the Rorschach test. I see a poodle in the middle and two footballers trying to head the same ball on the right. The one on the left is tricky, but I’m going for a lawnmower. No, make that a guy struggling to make progress on a bike. Although he’s on the level, which is a bit odd.

How did I do?

unlikely students didn't bother attending class before CV19.

Well maybe lecturers should be judged like teachers on their engagement.

However, as the current high infection group appears to be the young adult group, surely those who work and have offices in those environs should be subject to the same rules as teachers if your plan is the appropriate one. Or would that be unpalatable for you? Willing to talk it but not walk it as they say?

Marchy,

It’s clearly a Gorn’s head in profile. I’m surprised you didn’t see that.

kirk-james_featured.jpg

Joe

Like Trump, he’s supposed to be the ‘smart business man’ but he’s had about 20,000 twitter replies saying what you just said. How not to market yourself.

It seems to me these go-getter, wealth creator, men of industry cretins that people fawn over are no great shakes, they're just Arthur Daley types that caught a break. To hear someone like Alan Sugar speak you'd think he'd escaped from an asylum or home for the mentally ill.

Joe, thanks for the Rorschach test. I see a poodle in the middle and two footballers trying to head the same ball on the right. The one on the left is tricky, but I’m going for a lawnmower. No, make that a guy struggling to make progress on a bike. Although he’s on the level, which is a bit odd.

How did I do?

I’d say ‘some room for improvement’, the dog is a miniature schnauzer, the left had one is a fully stocked shopping trolley and right hand one is 2 people peering up to a blood red moon :).

Everything is connected, we look at aggregate risk throughout the population, we couldThe AQ swap options endlessly to achieve a given transmission rate.
Yes, but the government has been arguing that the increased risk for schools opening is minimal. But now it isn’t? How’s that work then?

Prof Medley is not a "government advisor" except that he attends SAGE meetings. His view does not seem to be agreed by others.

If pubs have to close then, by whatever logic he uses, all other non-essential retail would have to close again.

Yes, but the government has been arguing that the increased risk for schools opening is minimal. But now it isn’t? How’s that work then?

I have no idea. However I personally have come to the conclusion looking at my kids that they need to be there. Just the simple matter of sports clubs being back has made a huge difference to the mental wellbeing of both of them. If I don’t get back to work soon, I won’t have a job to go to. In my mind I’ve decided the risk to me of schools reopening is worth it. I’ll be visiting lots of schools a week and directly facing young children. I know most of my teacher friends fee the same way. To my mind I can’t see an alternative. Kids are more important than pubs.

I have no idea. However I personally have come to the conclusion looking at my kids that they need to be there. Just the simple matter of sports clubs being back has made a huge difference to the mental wellbeing of both of them. If I don’t get back to work soon, I won’t have a job to go to. In my mind I’ve decided the risk to me of schools reopening is worth it. I’ll be visiting lots of schools a week and directly facing young children. I know most of my teacher friends fee the same way. To my mind I can’t see an alternative. Kids are more important than pubs.
I don’t disagree. I’m just interested that they singled out pubs, not other places where people congregate. And that this is only happening now. It’s almost like we’ve been bad and now we’re being grounded.

I think it’s possibly that the combination of alcohol and people together is a volatile one. I would hope that by now SAGE et al have modelled it all so much that they can predict what impact an action should have on the r number. However I’m also not naive enough to believe that to be so. I suspect it’s more of a dog whistle from a responsible scientist trying to get Joe Public to toe the line because the government isn’t willing enough to flirt with unpopularity and actually enforce anything.

Students, teachers and instructors can wear a mask, but how do patrons in a pub drink with a mask on? Add to that the correlation between amount of alcohol consumed and covidiocy.

Joe

advertisement

Back