advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto, bought the 4K disk - which is very rare for us to do nowadays, thought it was utter crap didn't even make it to the end, sloooooow...

NO SPOLIERS A HEAD:

I highly recommend you either watch it again (a tough ask I know) or at least watch the ending. I’m not going to spoilt it but I think you might well be surprised

NO SPOLIERS A HEAD:

I highly recommend you either watch it again (a tough ask I know) or at least watch the ending. I’m not going to spoilt it but I think you might well be surprised

We saw Once Upon A Time at the cinema, and we watched it again not long ago.

We still found it to be one of Q.T's most boring films.

I don't rate anything Tarantino has done after Jackie Brown, which was the best of his first three*. When Kill Bill came out, it felt to me like he'd spent the six years since Jackie Brown reading his own press … and believing it.

__
(* only counting writer+director outings)

Reactions: vuk
Fear City was good. Documentary about the FBI rooting the mafia out of New York in the 80s, which took a lot of very careful planning.

Sounds great and will definitely give it a watch :) presumably it will include the real life Donnie Brasco as that was around that era I believe

Just a bit :confused: , I had to do a quick recap of each previous episode before carrying on with the next one .

I started series one but struggled with the dubbing, just bugs the hell out of me and makes it a hard watch! will try and revisit at some point

Sounds great and will definitely give it a watch :) presumably it will include the real life Donnie Brasco as that was around that era I believe
Yes definitely worth seeing. It doesn’t overlap with Donnie Brasco though which was set in the late 70s I think. The doc was about events several years later.

I started series one but struggled with the dubbing, just bugs the hell out of me and makes it a hard watch! will try and revisit at some point

I got half way through Season 1 when I realised you could go the subtitle way , I carried on with the dubbing but intend to re-watch one day in German .

One of my friends watched the whole Das Boot in German without subtitles - she had no idea subtitles were an option, but did she give up? Nein!

Just seen Scarface (1983) for the first time in 36 years. - on Netflix.

Tony Montana isn't even an anti-hero, just unpleasant and uncompromising.

Classic, although the Giorgio Moroder soundtrack makes it appear even more dated.

I think Al Pacino wears cuban heals in the film, funnily enough. :cool:

We thought Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was Tarantino's worst film so far, and the storyline is boring.

(we are massive Tarantino fans - I was at his premiere of Pulp Fiction in Nottingham)

I thought it was awful as well till the very last scene. Pretty strong ending really even for Tarantino!

I got half way through Season 1 when I realised you could go the subtitle way , I carried on with the dubbing but intend to re-watch one day in German .
When I watched it, it defaulted to German+subs; Series 3, probably after the huge success of the previous two, then defaulted to an English dubbed version, which gave be a very brief taste of the dubbed version. Now, I speak a little German*, so the subtitled option was always my first choice for German-language stuff, but even so, I found some of the dubbed voices to be irritating. Especially strange was the odd pronunciations of the characters' own names.

(* actually, I found that watching 26 hours of German-language drama in short bursts did improve my comprehension a lot. Assuming people want to talk about destiny, that is... :) )

A lot of this is what you're used to, though - I've a colleague who grew up watching the American-Spanish version of the Simpsons (aka "Los Simpson"): he will argue for a day and night that the original English voice-cast is not as good as the Mexican one ...

Oh, obligatory music content: The theme song "Goodbye" can be found on the album "The Devil's Walk" by Apparat, a German electronica performer who also served as one third of the act Moderat (The other two thirds, Modeselektor, also had some fame outside of Germany and the electronica scene by being one of Thom Yorke's favourite bands). All three acts' back-catalogues are worth checking out.

Reactions: BJP
Phase IV is on Talking Pictures tonight at 10. It's the one where ants become super intelligent and take over the world.

Amazing visuals and a trippy 70s vibe throughout (especially in the final, disturbing/inspiring sequence).

Last edited:
Sure lots of folks have seen it but The Last Samurai is on netflix at the moment one of Tom Cruises better flix IMHO and with the excellent Hans Zimmer score, beautiful scenery, touching story its a good way to pass a couple of hours.

Oh, obligatory music content: The theme song "Goodbye" can be found on the album "The Devil's Walk" by Apparat,

I normally skip the intros but with DARK I always listen , good tune , I'll look it up cheers .

Sure lots of folks have seen it but The Last Samurai is on netflix at the moment one of Tom Cruises better flix IMHO and with the excellent Hans Zimmer score, beautiful scenery, touching story its a good way to pass a couple of hours.

thanks for the heads up, haven’t seen that since it came out, but definitely a great film :)

I struggled with Breaking Bad at the start but am now on Series 3 and really enjoying it.:)
How does Better Call Saul rate in comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back