advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish people would post screenshots for us non-twatters!

Stephen

It's a video on twitter, so a screenshot wouldn't be of much use; unfortunately, I've not yet fathomed out how to embed a video from Twitter on this site, but, as SteveS1 points out, you don't have to have a Twitter account to view (I haven't).

Oh, what the hell...

Screenshot-2020-08-01-Twitter-Publish.png

4000+ new infections a day is alarmingly high. Sorry, but the opening of pubs and gyms plus heavier fines for those not maintaining acceptable distancing in parks. beaches etc will have to be looked at again when schools re-open. Trade-offs will be required it seems to me. Vietnam had no infections for 90 days and now the bloody thing has caused record new infections.

^ What/where is the 4000+ new infections a day ?
Vietnam had only 12 new cases today for a total of 182 Active Cases. Figures the UK can only dream of. And in a population of 97m.

4000+ new infections a day is alarmingly high. Sorry, but the opening of pubs and gyms plus heavier fines for those not maintaining acceptable distancing in parks. beaches etc will have to be looked at again when schools re-open. Trade-offs will be required it seems to me. Vietnam had no infections for 90 days and now the bloody thing has caused record new infections.

It's 4000 confirmed cases per week currently, not per day.

^ What/where is the 4000+ new infections a day ?
Vietnam had only 12 new cases today for a total of 182 Active Cases. Figures the UK can only dream of. And in a population of 97m.

It's 4000 confirmed cases per week currently, not per day.

"Figures published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) on Friday suggest infection rates in England are rising, with around 4,200 new infections a day - compared with 3,200 a week ago." BBC today.

And 10 minutes ago produced this heading "Coronavirus: Pubs 'may need to shut' to allow schools to reopen" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

"Figures published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) on Friday suggest infection rates in England are rising, with around 4,200 new infections a day - compared with 3,200 a week ago." BBC today.

And 10 minutes ago produced this heading "Coronavirus: Pubs 'may need to shut' to allow schools to reopen" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

The PHE report says:

"The were small increases in COVID-19 activity noted in England across a number of surveillance indicators during week 30. Case detections in England increased from 4,062 in week 29 to 4,130 in week 30. At a local authority level, activity was highest in Blackburn and Darwen where incidence has continued to increase. Activity in Leicester continued to decrease. Case detections were highest in adults aged 85 and over. "

I just followed the link through to a page on “what to do if you have symptoms”. Am I misunderstanding that if you have minor symptoms you self isolate but don’t alert anyone? The advice seems to be don’t phone the NHS or your GP?

In Ireland the advice is to phone your GP to organise a test. I presume I’m misreading this UK advice as there will be no tracing (or accurate figures of cases)?

.sjb

I guess this is the difference between the estimates produced by the ONS and the statistics for cases confirmed by lab test from PHE.

As we still don't understand the level of asymptomatic community infection I think it's hard to get a grip on infection levels other than to note upwards or downwards trends.

just make anyone with children quarantine and ban them from pubs, alongside teachers, helpers dinner ladies etc...

I just followed the link through to a page on “what to do if you have symptoms”. Am I misunderstanding that if you have minor symptoms you self isolate but don’t alert anyone? The advice seems to be don’t phone the NHS or your GP?

In Ireland the advice is to phone your GP to organise a test. I presume I’m misreading this UK advice as there will be no tracing (or accurate figures of cases)?

.sjb

The advice in Scotland is as follows:

If you have coronavirus symptoms

If you’ve developed symptoms (however mild), stay at home for 10 days from the start of your symptoms and arrange to be tested. Do not go to your GP, pharmacy or hospital.
You should remain at home until you get the result of the test, and then follow the advice you will be given based on the result.

I guess this is the difference between the estimates produced by the ONS and the statistics for cases confirmed by lab test from PHE.

As we still don't understand the level of asymptomatic community infection I think it's hard to get a grip on infection levels other than to note upwards or downwards trends.

There hasn't beeen a spike in hospital admissions as of yet which still points towards a lowish number of cases.

The PHE report says:

"The were small increases in COVID-19 activity noted in England across a number of surveillance indicators during week 30. Case detections in England increased from 4,062 in week 29 to 4,130 in week 30. At a local authority level, activity was highest in Blackburn and Darwen where incidence has continued to increase. Activity in Leicester continued to decrease. Case detections were highest in adults aged 85 and over. "

4000 a day is more likely to be the true figure.

4000 a day is more likely to be the true figure.

maybe so. Look at the trend in hospital admission I'd suggest

"Emergency department attendances with a COVID-19-like diagnosis and hospitalisations and critical care admissions for confirmed COVID-19 remained stable.COVID-19 deaths continue to decline and, while delays to death registrations can impact on the most recent data, there has been no detectable excess mortality since week 24 in any age group or region."

Let's see next week, these must start to increase I'd have thought.

maybe so. Look at the trend in hospital admission I'd suggest

"Emergency department attendances with a COVID-19-like diagnosis and hospitalisations and critical care admissions for confirmed COVID-19 remained stable.COVID-19 deaths continue to decline and, while delays to death registrations can impact on the most recent data, there has been no detectable excess mortality since week 24 in any age group or region."

Let's see next week, these must start to increase I'd have thought.

There is no unassailable connection between hospital admissions and the number of infections and so why should the admissions figure be more accurate than the work of the ONS?

The advice in Scotland is as follows:

If you have coronavirus symptoms

If you’ve developed symptoms (however mild), stay at home for 10 days from the start of your symptoms and arrange to be tested. Do not go to your GP, pharmacy or hospital.
You should remain at home until you get the result of the test, and then follow the advice you will be given based on the result.

Yes it appears to be different for England

From BBC

What should I do if I have mild symptoms?
Patients with mild symptoms should self-isolate at home for at least 10 days.

People are advised not to ring NHS 111 to report their symptoms unless they are worried. They should also not go to their GP, or A&E.

Details for Scotland are to check NHS inform, then ring your GP in office hours, or 111 out-of-hours. In Wales call NHS 111, and in Northern Ireland, call your GP.

.sjb

There is no unassailable connection between hospital admissions and the number of infections and so why should the admissions figure be more accurate than the work of the ONS?

Sorry but I'm not having that, hospital admissions will increase with increasing case numbers . It's the trends that are important rather than the absolute numbers or the particular model, as long as we're comparing like with like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back