advertisement

Lots of folks not wearing face masks

"It" doesn't even get described as "he" or "she". Please use "disabled person" if you must diagnose people standing near you in a queue. "Special needs" is used to describe status in schools.
"It" refers to the situation, not the person! And I'm sorry if I haven't kept up with the current preferred designations.

I was in our local co-op yesterday, and one pair of women had no masks on. It looked like special needs and carer, so OK (at least for one of them!), and they started closing up to me in the check-out queue, so I said, as you aren't wearing masks, cold you give me more space?. They did, with a bit of a frown. Seemed a suitable way of dealing with it.

"It" doesn't even get described as "he" or "she". Please use "disabled person" if you must diagnose people standing near you in a queue. "Special needs" is used to describe status in schools.

I read the post as the ‘it’ referred to the situation and not the person.

I would be more concerned why the carer wasn’t wearing a mask.

Just to clarify it was the customer in the hairdressers not wearing a mask not the hairdressers themselves. I can see why a face mask would prevent a lady getting her hair cut unless she was having her beard trimmed. The local shop is an independant and its closest to me so i use it alot but maybe now ill try somewhere else.

was it a co-op by any chance?

Our local has told us they won't be enforcing due to threats of violence from some customers

Nice brewery, nice distillery

I walk past our local one at least once a day - all staff in masks and visors. My wife tells me it is impossible to have her hair cut whilst wearing a mask.

I reckon 2022 more likely 2023

It is the policy of Sainsbury’s, the Coop and Asda to not enforce the mask ruling.
They maintain it is plod’s job.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ace-mask-laws-england-police-coronavirus-risk

Where I live in France if I attempted to enter the local supermarket sans mask I would be refused entry.
Is it my imagination or does the UK have more than its fair share of idiots?
Same where I am in Italy. Shop staff were the first to take mask wearing seriously, and many wear visors too. They realized early on they were taking a bigger risk than most people. Checkouts are protected at least to some extent with screens, compulsory sanitizer on the way in. Shop staff have a right to work in safety, it shameful for an employer not to ensure that. I’ve walked into a couple of small shops where the owner wasn’t wearing a mask; I walked straight out making it clear why. They want my money, they wear a mask.

Didn't see anyone without a mask or not observing social distancing in or local Sainsburys when I was doing the weekly shop on Thursday. A neighbour who shops in the local Morrisons says it was total chaos with no control over entry, masks or social distancing. My guess is its a socioeconomic/class thing, at least in part. Morrisons is full of plebs. For the avoidance of doubt, yes, I am an arrogant snob.

Just been out to the shops in Tring my local convenience store letting in lots of folks without masks. Lady having her hair done at the hairdressers again no mask in sight. I don't suppose there's much i can do about this but it does boil my blood people don't seem to understand social responsibility or the risks involved in not following the guidance.

I work in construction as a Building Control Surveyor and there's a total disregard there for social distancing of any kind. As i moved as far as possible away from a roofer passing me on some scaffolding I heard him mutter for f... sake as he went past. Had there been a foreman on the site I would have had a word as this is not acceptable behavior.

People seem to be so ignorant I fear were heading for a horrible winter.

On Tuesday I spent 10 hours on a site run by a very large contractor in Hackney, not a single f*ck given anywhere on the site, we were all cheek by jowl huffing and puffing working away, us more so as we had to carry several hundreds of KGs worth gear up and down several sets of stairs into the building and then down into the basement working alongside strangers/labourers/other trades from site.

There's the world people see on telly and there's the real world where not much is being done and folks are carrying on as normal, how there hasn't been a massive second spike yet from what I've seen, I've no idea.

It would be interesting to hear from a Psychologist about how long people can stay in a heightened state of awareness & how long before standards drop.
Add in to the equation a frequent rate of rule changes, well publicised examples of rule makers not sticking to their own advice etc.....
Shops are in a tricky situation. “ Hello sir, can I ask you to wear a mask as you enter our shop please”—— “no I’ve got medical exemption”
Challenge that & it could be seen as confrontational, deny entry to him & you lose a potential sale, let him in & other customers may complain etc etc.
People may tolerate this for a while, but long term will people just say enough is enough?

I find it interesting that shops (those that bother anyway; not our local Poundland!) provide hand sanitiser on the way in, but nothing on the way out, after you have touched all the goods that have been fondled by various people. I carry some in the car, but not everyone is so fortunate.

I find it interesting that shops (those that bother anyway; not our local Poundland!) provide hand sanitiser on the way in, but nothing on the way out, after you have touched all the goods that have been fondled by various people. I carry some in the car, but not everyone is so fortunate.
You can buy pocket sized containers of sanitizer for a couple of quid. I would suggest using it after you’ve left a shop, as the door handle is a point of high shared-contact.

We are recommended to not leave it the car.
Apparently the alcohol evaporates in the heat.
( how it can escape the container baffles me).

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/dont-keep-hand-sanitiser-car-18296169

Back from the shops. About half the staff in Sainsburys wearing masks though quite a lot on the shop floor wearing them as chin straps.

No one in the nail bar I passed wearing a mask, customers three to a sofa. One person in the tattooist was. One hairdresser out of two...

It seems about representative of the UK's half-arsed approach - it's all too much of a hassle to bother with.

Hardly a surprise that per capita deaths are still nine times higher than Italy.

I was reminded of this punk classic - Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death.

Dead_Kennedys_-_Give_Me_Convenience_or_Give_Me_Death_cover.jpg

On Tuesday I spent 10 hours on a site run by a very large contractor in Hackney, not a single f*ck given anywhere on the site, we were all cheek by jowl huffing and puffing working away, us more so as we had to carry several hundreds of KGs worth gear up and down several sets of stairs into the building and then down into the basement working alongside strangers/labourers/other trades from site.

There's the world people see on telly and there's the real world where not much is being done and folks are carrying on as normal, how there hasn't been a massive second spike yet from what I've seen, I've no idea.

Well, it could be that there is a high rate of asymptomatic infection in the relatively young and fit population you would find working on a building site - ie lots of them had/have it but few if any show symptoms. In Treviso there is a migrant/asylum seeker centre. 293 migrants, 22 staff, all tested the other day, 129 positives all asymptomatic. A similar situation in a migrant centre in Jesolo. Judging from the pictures the lads are all mostly young, fit, skinny Africans, unlikely to have any of the known vulnerabilities. Same in the Italian town of Vo, an early cluster of infection where everyone got tested twice - 40% of those who tested positive were asymptomatic. So maybe Covid-19 can lurk away in the healthy population quite contentedly. Realising this early on is maybe how North East Italy has done well so far.

back from waitrose, all staff in masks, all customers in masks, apart from a little old lady who seemed to think a flight eye shade would act as a face covering. It was all highly unsatisfactory until security intervened, offered her a free mask, which she refused. Cops arrived and forcibly removed her from the store.

According to BBC shop workers do not have to wear coverings, I assume that includes masks.

Because hairdressers can't catch it presumably...

I think this is the problem with the government rules - wear a mask in Pret, but not if you're eating there, don't in the pub, do on the train, don't in the office, do in the cinema (unless you're eating a choc ice?).

It would have made more sense just tell people to wear a mask in any enclosed space outside their home.
The hairdressers wear a mask. It is all a balance of risk.

I get tired of people pointing out obvious contradictions, this is not anything new or insightful. There are still some restrictions in place, you may not may not agree with them but you are welcome to mitigate against them.

Went to Sainsbury's yesterday and compliance was high. There were two older ladies wearing plastic face shields instead, not sure what they were thinking.
I can understand why shop workers are not going to try and enforce this as some of the people who are not going to wear one are likely to be abusive or even violent.
Shame the virus doesn't kill the selfish twats...

advertisement

Back