advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willian and Kante might play for Chelsea today, so they could slaughter Arsenal.

Aubameyang engineered a move to Chelsea in January and his agents contacted the club. He was turned down because he's 31 and wanted the highest wage of any player in the history of Chelsea.

He ain't bad though.

Jack

Well done Arsenal - the better team over the 90 minutes.
The 2nd yellow for Kovacic is a strange one - if an innocuous challenge like that is worthy of a yellow then I really do fear for the game going forward.
What a brilliant finisher Aubameyang is - deserved man of the match.

Oh well ... The game was won for the Arses by the ref, which he's done before. I don't mind Chelsea losing, but when the game is being overseen by a dodgy ref it's a different matter.

Jack
Yes. Mount gets a yellow when he doesn’t touch the player. Kovocic the same for his second yellow. Martinez handles the ball outside the area and nothing, not even a second look and no foul when Pedro clearly fouled on edge of the box.

To be fair Arsenal played the better up to the sending off, but being robbed of one of their best players gave Chelsea no chance

Well done Arsenal - the better team over the 90 minutes.
The 2nd yellow for Kovacic is a strange one - if an innocuous challenge like that is worthy of a yellow then I really do fear for the game going forward.
What a brilliant finisher Aubameyang is - deserved man of the match.
Why isn’t VAR used in a sending off situation?

Hmm, Rangers off to winning start, no goals conceded with two ex Seagull's centre backs (Goldson and Balogun).

Oooops, strictly speaking it's 2020/21 season

Arsenal deserved to win today but it is also fair to say they had fortune on their side, and I say this as a gooner. Chelsea lost (captain) Azpilicueta and (game changer) Pulisic to injury and let's hope Pedro's shoulder injury isn't as bad as it appeared.
VAR is a complete mess as has been seen all season. Kovacic's sending off was never a second yellow. I really cannot believe how badly VAR has been implemented, and the stubbornness with which it is applied. All season there have been offside decisions taken that are not in line with the "clear and obvious" guidelines. The Sheff Utd goal against Villa that never was...
I cannot understand why VAR has been affected by the very English disease of not learning from elsewhere. Cricket has got it right with each captain having a limited number of reviews. Football should take a similar approach with the captain given three reviews or whatever per game. Football is about the teams and players, it should not be about the officials whether they are on or off the pitch.

Arsenal deserved to win today but it is also fair to say they had fortune on their side, and I say this as a gooner. Chelsea lost (captain) Azpilicueta and (game changer) Pulisic to injury and let's hope Pedro's shoulder injury isn't as bad as it appeared.
VAR is a complete mess as has been seen all season. Kovacic's sending off was never a second yellow. I really cannot believe how badly VAR has been implemented, and the stubbornness with which it is applied. All season there have been offside decisions taken that are not in line with the "clear and obvious" guidelines. The Sheff Utd goal against Villa that never was...
I cannot understand why VAR has been affected by the very English disease of not learning from elsewhere. Cricket has got it right with each captain having a limited number of reviews. Football should take a similar approach with the captain given three reviews or whatever per game. Football is about the teams and players, it should not be about the officials whether they are on or off the pitch.

Oddly enough I agree with you.

Jack

VAR officials are poor but fans only really complain when it doesn't go their way.
On the line when the goalkeeper caught it so ok.
Some of the other decisions were dire, but players rolling around like arse holes have brought it on themselves.
Thought Arsenal deserved the win in all honesty.

VAR officials are poor but fans only really complain when it doesn't go their way.
On the line when the goalkeeper caught it so ok.
Some of the other decisions were dire, but players rolling around like arse holes have brought it on themselves.
Thought Arsenal deserved the win in all honesty.
Who was rolling around and brought it on the self?

Yes. Mount gets a yellow when he doesn’t touch the player. Kovocic the same for his second yellow. Martinez handles the ball outside the area and nothing, not even a second look and no foul when Pedro clearly fouled on edge of the box.

To be fair Arsenal played the better up to the sending off, but being robbed of one of their best players gave Chelsea no chance
Martinez didn't handle outside the area and there is an argument for sending off Chelsea defender when pen was given.

Other problems with ref I agree with.

Oh well ... The game was won for the Arses by the ref, which he's done before. I don't mind Chelsea losing, but when the game is being overseen by a dodgy ref it's a different matter.

Jack
Not according to Frank.

The ball was not outside the box.

It might be because the FA don't want the ref to be proven wrong, which he very often is.

Jack
No, it isn’t. It’s because VAR isn’t used for looking at yellow card decisions.

I don’t know with cricket, I can’t watch it. Football could learn a lot from how rugby is officiated in all respects.

Ps. I have a cousin who is a lifelong Chelsea fan, so although not supporting either team myself I did want Chelsea to win. The sending off was a ridiculous decision, the injury to Pulisic was a big loss but they lost the match because they allowed the Arses back into the game when they were well on top.

Lampard is going to be a top manager, imo. All part of the learning process.

When it was finally looked at after the game, it can be seen that the ball was on the line. Just. But my main point was that it wasn’t even looked at.

When it was finally looked at after the game, it can be seen that the ball was on the line. Just. But my main point was that it wasn’t even looked at.

How do you know it wasn’t looked at while play carried on and the ref given the nod it was ok?

In any case, lots of things didn’t go for Chelsea today but Lampard isn’t the type who will dwell on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back