advertisement

Govt to tackle obesity..apparently

The farmer who was born in our house used to walk 6 miles each way across the hills to school, every day, all year round. Believe me, that would be tough going in the winter months. Now in his 70’s, he’s fit as a fiddle and still farms full time. Hell, even I would regularly walk 3 miles each way to school. We’ve become an incredibly soft society, it’s pathetic really.

Road traffic accidents:

1966 7,985 Killed
2019 1,870 Killed

That’s approx five times better considering population difference, ‘elf and safety gorn mad.

Reactions: vuk
Probably more to do with the huge increase in vehicle safety standards, seat belts etc. What’s the obesity figures for comparison?

I agree with all your points apart from this one, how can you tell it worked effectively ?

There were fewer fat kids when I was at school and the ones that were fat were bullied badly. I'd have thought that was some sort of incentive not to overeat. However, I wasn't being too serious.

I can't believe that they've reduced the time at lunch so much in modern schools. We used to play football for the rest of the hour. Then at home time I'd ride the 4 miles or so on my bike. That's got to burn off some calories.

The main factor has got to be computer games though.

The farmer who was born in our house used to walk 6 miles each way across the hills to school, every day, all year round. Believe me, that would be tough going in the winter months. Now in his 70’s, he’s fit as a fiddle and still farms full time. Hell, even I would regularly walk 3 miles each way to school. We’ve become an incredibly soft society, it’s pathetic really.

Most kids now live close to their schools, I am not sure that translates into "an incredibly soft society."

When I was a kid we would be out of the house all day, climbing trees, or playing football - that was pretty much it.

Now, it's at home on Playstations, and a more wary attitude from parents. There seems to be a stigma attached to groups of kids in the park; "they're up to no good and I don't want my kids to be part of that" etc which compounds the issue, along with loads of other sensationalist "concerns" that have been fed to them by the Daily Mail or whatever.

So, as a society we have, to some extent, allowed this switch to occur.

On the point about kids being fussy eaters - actually, it's not as cut and dry as some people might like to think. For instance, my daughter has a severe dairy allergy, and has become a very difficult eater as a result as she's basically very worried about eating. It's not the case that I can cook up a nice dairy free plate of vegetables - she just won't eat it.

We need to find a balance between feeding her stuff that she is able to eat, plus what she actually wants, and sometimes it can be unhealthy. But we would prefer her to be eating rather than not and that is the crux of it.

Going to restaurants virtually never happens as we cannot find places reliable enough to cater for her, (she should not be having a reactions from "vegan" pizzas, for example) and more often than not, the experience is not pleasant due to the levels of anxiety, or if she has a reaction.

So even on here, with people posting with what they believe to be all the reasonableness in the world, demonstrates that there are many who simply do not take into account some of the huge complexities that exists for others, since they've not even considered the issues others may face, since they've never experienced it themselves.

All. this reminds me of an old joke I read, many years ago, possibly in the Beano.

Father, to son who's complaining he has to walk a mile to school: 'Why, when I was your age I'd walk five miles to school and think nothing of it'

Son: 'I don't think much of it myself'.

The Tories are useless, I guess most of us agree on that one by now.

Can we now please move to the actual topic which I find rather interesting. @stevec67 , where are you ?
I'm working for a food manufacturer right now, after a lengthy period on the bench because of obvious global events. As luck would have it this manufacturer isn't one that gets a good press when it comes to obesity. I'm a bit preoccupied with making things happen in a new factory and wondering how much time I want to spend on pfm, so you'll forgive me if I stay out of this for a while.

I can only speak from experience based in the 90s but the medical staff I knew had olympic-class appetites for a lot of things: sh*t food, tobacco and booze were three of them

You forgot the rock n roll drugs and sex.

I knew a consultant who was often on speed when operating, I suspect she was/is not alone.

Both my kids spend too much time on Nintendos and eat too much shit in my opinion. Both are stick thin. I dread to think what kind of consumption is going on in other houses. There's not just one class fatty in their classes, like there was when i was at school. More like 5 or 6.

Don't you need to be fairly well-off to eat healthily these days?
No. A kilo of chicken thighs, aboutn £1.50. Bag of onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, 50p each. Frozen peas, 90p. Dinner for 6, less than £1 a head. Apples, oranges, bananas, about 10p each.
Alternatively, minced beef, £1.50. Onions, couple of tins toms, peppers, other veg if you want, spices, red beans, rice, salad at 50p an item. Feed 6, again £1 a head.
compares with Dominos at about £3-4 a head. But cooking your own involves knowledge, skill and effort. It involves having to wait for your gratification.

You forgot the rock n roll drugs and sex.

I knew a consultant who was often on speed when operating, I suspect she was/is not alone.
Mine was on LSD when he took both my legs off and swapped them round while he was supposed to be working on another bit.

No. A kilo of chicken thighs, aboutn £1.50. Bag of onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, 50p each. Frozen peas, 90p. Dinner for 6, less than £1 a head. Apples, oranges, bananas, about 10p each.
Alternatively, minced beef, £1.50. Onions, couple of tins toms, peppers, other veg if you want, spices, red beans, rice, salad at 50p an item. Feed 6, again £1 a head.
compares with Dominos at about £3-4 a head. But cooking your own involves knowledge, skill and effort. It involves having to wait for your gratification.

Exactly. It’s incredibly cheap to eat well. When I shop in Aldi for fresh produce, I often think it’s too cheap to provide the producers with a decent living for the hard work they put in. The problem is a lot of people are thick as mince and think the government owes them a living whilst complaining on twitter via their latest iPhone instead of reading a cookery book.

Seriously, how cheap do you think fresh food should be? Should the govt provide further subsidies for it?

Exactly. It’s incredibly cheap to eat well. When I shop in Aldi for fresh produce, I often think it’s too cheap to provide the producers with a decent living for the hard work they put in. The problem is a lot of people are thick as mince and think the government owes them a living whilst complaining on twitter via their latest iPhone instead of reading a cookery book.
...and their homes have got mold growing in them because they boil everything

advertisement

Back