advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ well yes and no: however great Burgundy wine is I like variety.
Despite being so much further away I'm sure there is a better selection of Bordeaux, Rhone, Alsace/Mosel and Loire wine in London than Burgundy.
And I doubt there is much Italian, German or Spanish wine to be bought in Burgundy.
New World ? You must be joking !

^ well yes and no: however great Burgundy wine is I like variety.
Despite being so much further away I'm sure there is a better selection of Bordeaux, Rhone, Alsace/Mosel and Loire wine in London than Burgundy.
And I doubt there is much Italian, German or Spanish wine to be bought in Burgundy.
New World ? You must be joking !

All true.
However I admire liking for local produce
that I seem to see in France.

Funnily enough moved on to Albariño.
Hottest day of the year here.
Blimey, I haven’t started yet. Time to put that right. A glass or two of Chinon Rosé followed by some Bouza Tannat Sin Barrica with the steak. Looks like the rain has petered out, so outside it is.

When I bought the Bouza in France at a silly reduced price the supermarket also had some Bouza Albariño for the same amount. I didn’t buy any, and really wish I had.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good way to round out the day, @Marchbanks

I’ve worked from the garden today, with kiddo playing in his paddling pool and generally causing mayhem. I’ve worked through a stash of Big Drop soft drinks (extra drinks on hot days, as kiddo reminds me), and am trying to work out whether it’s cocktails or wine this evening.

[QUOTE="Marchbanks, post: 4070193, member: 314
When I bought the Bouza in France at a silly reduced price the supermarket also had some Bouza Albariño for the same amount. I didn’t buy any, and really wish I had.[/QUOTE]

Vivino is listening to us: just to piss you off further I got an email offering that Bouza at £19.90 and gives it 4.1.

...just to piss you off further I got an email offering that Bouza at £19.90 and gives it 4.1.
Yes, that worked. Never mind, Marchbanks - can’t win ’em all. Just concentrate on those seven bottles of Bin 389 in the cellar that you paid £18 each for.

Yes, that worked. Never mind, Marchbanks - can’t win ’em all. Just concentrate on those seven bottles of Bin 389 in the cellar that you paid £18 each for.

Indeed. That is but one of your many bargain finds...
Parochial France is good hunting ground.

Indeed. That is but one of your many bargain finds...

This is my current favourite - I think I might have mentioned it before, it’s a crazy bargain. Delivery only within France, sadly, but if you are going over, why not get some delivered to your temporary address? Free 2-day delivery over 100€ (ie 24 bottles.) They tell me the offer will run until August 11. A French friend and I have so far accounted for 60 bottles between us.

https://www.lerepairedebacchus.com/accueil/2985-famille-perrin-ventoux-3999990153278.html

Around £11-12 in the UK.

Last edited:
^ for those who want to buy it in the UK Oddbins have it in magnums for £18. Will look quite impressive without breaking the bank.

Here's Marcel Doodly Doodah in a Wine Soc clip they sent me today. Ostensibly about Guigal CdR 2016/17, but really just saying how good it generally is. I don't have any 2016, I can't help thinking I should rectify that toot sweet. I wonder what the unidentified wine in the glass was? I think he had already sunk a fair amount if it. I'm pleased to see he has realised that moustache only doesn't really cut it, though.

^ Marcel is hardly breaking news that Guigal CdR is usually good VFM. But something nags at me a bit about it: that it is constructed to please rather than 'made on the vines'. With over a million bottles a year it could hardly be anything else but a skilful blend of grapes from all over the region, and perhaps we should not care that it is.
However it is the French themselves who bang on about terroir all the time....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back