advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I'm still getting used to the power meter I'm now using on my mountain bikes and moved it to my spare parts XC bike for a ride last night. The only real thing it's been telling me so far (other than how puny I am!) is that it's a lot harder to average a decent power output on a mountain bike ride than on a road bike. On the ride last night I pushed reasonably hard (156 average HR with a roughly equal mix of Z3 and Z4) but only averaged 184W, where as a similar level of ride on a road bike recently (based on HR and how hard it felt) averaged 235W. It might be as much due to gearing as anything else i.e. not only does the MTB not have the gearing for putting power in on downhill bits but it also has lower gears meaning you can spin rather than grunt up the climbs. I had quite a few PR's on the ride as well, so I don't think it was just me having an off night.

I visited an old railway tunnel (now on a national cycle route) that's been painted up inside my a variety of artists (including my brother in law) and I've been meaning to go and have a look at for a while - it's very cool.

170917007.lDJW1Xkw.ct01.jpg

170917008.BYRNv1XY.ct02.jpg

Very cool indeed, now that’s a proper tunnel, brilliant.

My £25 Charge Spoon saddle, bought because of recommendations here, has caused me no problems at all, not even when brand new. So thank you to all for the recommendations. I’ve another on my mtb.

In WWI Dazzle camouflage

How do you manage to find it ?

Reactions: bor
Do any of you guys have dedicated bicycle insurance? Considering I've been knocked off my bike more times than I can count since I started cycling to, from and during work, I really should get myself some insurance. But where to start, that's the question.

Do any of you guys have dedicated bicycle insurance? Considering I've been knocked off my bike more times than I can count since I started cycling to, from and during work, I really should get myself some insurance. But where to start, that's the question.
I would join British Cycling, you get to support grass routes cycling & get excellent 3rd party insurance. A friend of mine had a really bad smash involving a car & the BC legal team have been excellent & he has received a significant payout.

Yes, I think I have bronze (if it still called that) but I used to do a bit of racing. Edit, just followed the link & commute is perfect for you. Not sure what I have now, it just renews each year.

The discounts at Halfords can also be quite useful.

Yes, it can pay for itself if you buy various items, there’s also Chain Reaction and Evans discounts.

Been a member a few years now, I think it’s worth it, also doing your bit for British Cycling in general makes you feel good too :).

Last edited:
Ah, I see British Cycling membership isn't the same the insurance options I posted above - Bronze membership is mentioned on this page:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubs/membership

I guess there's no need for dedicated insurance if it's included to some extent with the Bronze package?

EDIT: Ah, it turns out the membership options on this page are for club riders whose clubs are already affiliated with BC.

Last edited:
I just joined British Cycling as their legal cover includes the possibility of pursuing claims on my behalf (where success is likely). Sadly, no discount codes for industrial strength bubble wrap, the other thing I need apparently...

I would join British Cycling, you get to support grass routes cycling & get excellent 3rd party insurance. A friend of mine had a really bad smash involving a car & the BC legal team have been excellent & he has received a significant payout.

Second this, I am about to sign up now the roads are getting busy again. A mutual friend used their legal team in a case and apparently the other parties legal representation folded as soon as the BC guy walked into the court...

Finally got around to making a start on the fast bike, had the bits for a while but not got around to it. It will be dual purpose, a 'fast' spec and 'faster' spec.

Woodrup hand built 531SL frame, quite a racy geometry looking at the fag paper tyre clearances, those are Veloflex Record 22c open tubulars for reference - with Vittoria latex tubes. I contacted Woodrup for a date but they had a fire and lost most of their records from the 80s but I spoke to the guy who built it and he reckons on about 85-87 so I went for as period as I could with the other bits, I've not been super strict with that though due to some silly prices.

A mix of Campag Super Record/Record, in these pics it is in TT spec (although with it's road wheels) with a Campag Pista crank and 56T ring, I have an alloy straight through 13-18 block for the rear, road spec will be a Campag copy Ofmega 42/52 crank plus these wheels, I have a classic lightweight tubular wheelset for full on attack mode.

I did want to replace the hoods but NOS or even just nice condition originals are silly money so it will have to keep the worn pair. As it stands with just a chain and cables to go on it comes in at 7.8kg including the heavier road wheels and not very light saddle (Rolls Titanium) which isn't bad for an old steel bike IMO.

Nothing is set up here, just thrown together for some pics.

Nice looking bike. That's a very steep looking head tube. Before I zoomed in I thought you were running a tiny cassette - something like 12-19, with 53/42 up front and I was thinking "respect".
I have a 531c bike built up with 8 spd Campagnolo and mavic open4CD (and the same rolls saddle) - I've been riding since I built it up around '94, with the only change being to swap the 53/39 for 36/46 which better suits my aging legs and the rolling countryside around where I now live. It's a really comfortable bike, and doesn't give up much speed to a modern bike.

Both freewheels I have for it are actually straight through, the fast one is 13-18 and the faster one is 12-18, one 6 speed one 7.

Although I haven't been anywhere near a bike for about 3 weeks so by the time this is built I'll probably be incapable of riding it.

Back on the bike today after a week or so break. Switched out the 170mm cranks for 165, I am 5'7" and the bike came with 170's and I was having issue trying to balance saddle height to alleviate some knee pain with high cadence rocking and saddle discomfort. I was quite amazed that 5mm reduction seems to have solved the issue. Will have to adjust the front derailleur slightly as the old and new cranksets appear to be ever so slightly different in location despite being from the same manufacturer, Praxis (the old cranks were aluminium, the new ones carbon). I don't know if Praxis parts are available in the UK, but their customer service is great, they answered a few question I had by email almost instantly and the quality of the components is on my opinion on a par with Shimano.

Oh, and the ride, nothing too interesting except for very close encounter with 4 turkey vultures devouring some roadkill, pretty cool to get within a few meters of them before they took off.

I went out to ride my local TT course this morning ahead of Wednesday’s TT. I was on a quick part of the course doing nearly 30Mph with my head down (I know I know - there was almost no traffic and I have a rear view mirror so I knew I could take the lane). I heard a rustle ahead at the side of the road and thought a kamikaze squirrel was about to throw himself under my wheels but when I looked up it was a full grown deer. I short past it only feet away and it looked just as worried as I was. I’ll keep my head up on Wednesday (TT bikes give me a sore neck).

I did once hit a squirrel on that same course during a triathlon. It made an awful crunching sound and I nearly came off. I assume I killed it and I felt awful about it but there was no way of avoiding it.

Listen, at 25mph on a straight road, if a squirrel can't see you coming and get out of the then it deserves to die. A bird of prey would come in a damn sight faster and would certainly not brake.

when I looked up it was a full grown deer.

A local guy had a very serious accident after hitting a deer. Multiple injuries. Put him in hospital for some time. Not sure if he was ever able to get back on the bike after it.

advertisement

Back