advertisement

Paint stripper v hot air gun

Tigerjones

Bagpuss
I am currently using a hot air gun to strip paint from wooden staircase and skirting boards. Is this the best/quickest method or is using a paint stripping solution better?

Cheers
PJ

There are advantages and disadvantages with both.

I use a hot air gun but you have to be very careful as it’s easy to burn wood especially in those “awkward to get to places”. The best solution is the gun (but don’t go too carried away) plus a chemical stripper for the nooks and crannies. Don’t be surprised if you need a couple of passes with the chemicals. And don’t forget to invest in a decent paint scraper.

I've used both extensively but many decades ago. Both are as messy as each other, I'd say, and neither is pleasant. Still got the odd-looking scraper tool from the seventies.

PS Stemcor posted as I wrote this. He's right about the crooks and nannies, but the hot air gun is, I found, quicker to remove paint, but both methods depend upon how many layers there are.

There are advantages and disadvantages with both.

I use a hot air gun but you have to be very careful as it’s easy to burn wood especially in those “awkward to get to places”. The best solution is the gun (but don’t go too carried away) plus a chemical stripper for the nooks and crannies. Don’t be surprised if you need a couple of passes with the chemicals. And don’t forget to invest in a decent paint scraper.

This^^^

Both methods together is the only way.

Paint stripper used to be good, nower days you can drink it

Agreed. My mother was a furniture restorer and I remember helping her strip furniture when I was about 12 (35 odd years ago. ****!) And getting a bit of Nitromors on your hand HURT!! Now it’s as you say, far far far less potent. :(

paint stripper if taking paint of off metal.

hot air gun for wood, and a ton of elbow grease.

That is my experience.

Nitromors used to be methylene chloride (MC, dichloro-methane) with a thickener added (probably a cellulose resin). I have no idea what it is today but methylene chloride has long since essentially been banned - carcinogen? (unlikely) the simple fact that it contain a halogen? - I can't remember the reason.

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone, butanone) is just as good, but like MC, it is a water-thin volatile solvent. It is also flammable over a wide range of concentrations in air, which methylene chloride is not, although if you heat MC (fumes drawn through a cigarette), you can inadvertently make phosgene gas.

Hot Air Gun for me, paint stripper works out awful expensive in my experience - though I may well have been doing it all wrong.

Nitomors ain't what it used to be. I remember starting a job with some of the original version, it was working fine. After the tin ran out I went for some more. Once I started using it, the difference in effectiveness was obvious. I gave up and sanded off remaining varnish and stain before repainting.

I keep finding other jobs to do strangely ...as those 6 doors look at me , calling to be stripped off... ...funny how weeding has become so attractive all of a sudden!!

Hot air gun for the bulk.... especially where multiple paint layers are present. Then the paint stripper and wire wool to get every bit without scorching the wood. Its a hard road.... but you will be so proud when its done.

advertisement

Back