advertisement

What no cricket thread ?

peter bj

pfm Member
Just realised there appears to be no thread on the recent test matches between West Indies and England which we won today 2 to 1 with Broad as man of the match and reaching 500 test wickets .England were a bit lacklusture in the first test but on fire for the last 2 , decent highlights from the BBC as well

Yes, congrats to Broad and to England, but also a huge thanks to the West Indies team for being prepared to come over here, and participate in six weeks of quarantine prior and during the series and give England a really good fight, and for contributing towards a really entertaining test match series played in a great spirit throughout. A great advertisement for the game.

I was just thinking the same. Good thread.

England with too much experience in bowling in home conditions, and a couple of our batsmen fired when needed.

Broad is class. Homegrown(Notts), as well.

Pakistan will provide a much sterner test.

It was really good that we may now have some decent openers who are prepared to play the Boycott game but then still have the talent to make some runs when the situation allows .

An enjoyable series, TMS back up to speed quite quickly and Carlos Brathwaite a real find.

Ollie Pope looking promising.

England - Ireland tomorrow.

W.I. deserve a lot of credit for coming here.
They gave us a real tonking in the first test but impressed by the way England bounced back to take the series.

I always see Pakistan as being unbeatable (when they are in the right mood) or a calamity otherwise. Would love to see a bouyant England take on a Pakistan team who are up for the contest.

I managed to catch quite a lot of it at the weekends on Sky.

Love hearing Michel Holding and the other former cricketers, including former foes such as Shane Warne. The piece they did with Michel Johnson during last years Ashes on how he destroyed us in 2013 was terrific too. Similarly fine insight into Gooch’s tour of the Caribbean in 89/90.

I am starting to think the rehabilitation of Stokes is complete and it could be time for Root to give up the Captaincy and concentrate on his batting.

Ray

All rounders as captain never really seems to work, at least not for England.

I think Stokes has enough on his plate.

Woakes is, perhaps, not sure of his place overseas but he is excellent on home soil.

The footage of the Windies at their peak is always compelling, what a team they had.

Give Root a chance. He's had no real batting back up until recently, when the selectors have started to get their act together. Pope looks the real deal - anyone who hits a cover drive like Ian Bell has my vote.

This thread reads like on on here a few years ago, binning Cook as captain. Patience...

Stokes needs looking after - he's creaking as it is, but is a superb all rounder.

Buttler gets these three tests, but wicket keeping isn't just about batting and if you listen/read the consensus, then he's had a good series with the gloves.

Root has the best win ratio since Mike Brearley. His batting was affected far more by the lack of a decent 1,2 and 3 than by his captaincy. He is a number 4 like Smith and Kohli, but has pretty much been playing as an opener when he’s batted at 3 as one or both of the openers have been out cheaply. I really believe that Burns and Sibley can push on and be the established opening pair, and let’s hope Crawley can make the number 3 slot his own.
Then, and only then, will England be in shape to compete in Australia.

advertisement

Back