advertisement

Govt to tackle obesity..apparently

Brian

Eating fat, staying slim
Could be interesting given the power of the food industry is reminiscent of the tobacco industry in days gone by, advertising and arguing that tabs were of benefit to health. Who would believe that nowadays?

If a general clamp down on the promotion of unhealthy food, drinks and snacks in the UK comes out of coronavirus, well that can’t be a bad thing, imo.

Analysis by BBC health editor:
If implemented this will mean radical changes to the way food is marketed.

Most of the proposals were first set out in a policy paper in 2018 and put out to consultation before getting stalled.

The key is how businesses react this time, having previously been against the measures. The Food and Drink Federation has again given a hostile response.

Source: BBC

I suspect the junk food industry will ask for a definition of what constitutes junk food, and then they’ll do the absolute minimum to conform to healthy food.

Education hasn’t worked so far, because relentless advertising has overpowered it.

It’d be nice just to cycle through countryside that isn’t littered with McD packaging.

Good. There was a group of five young lads swimming the river near me yesterday, every one of them was pretty flabby / straight-out fat. It'll take years to change people's habits though, and the food industry will fight (rotten) tooth and nail.

Education hasn’t worked so far, because relentless advertising has overpowered it.
Most of the teachers at my kids primary school were insanely overweight. Maybe that waters down the message. Plus 'the parents' etc.

It’d be nice just to cycle through countryside that isn’t littered with McD packaging.
Agree with this though at least McD's mainly use biodegradable packaging these days, and it's not just trash food consumers who drop litter as I see as many empty water bottles as I do anything else. Plus I've also seen an increase in discarded energy sachets lately, as used by runners and cyclists.

I am pleased that the calorie count will be printed on the menu in restaurants, although I think this is proposed legislation, rather than actual law yet.
I think the same is proposed for alcoholic beverages.

They will be very worried about stress on NHS with Covid, cancer etc. and where to make savings.It’s a key focus on the Public rather than themselves, quite rightly. ,though there’s likely method here.This will be a strategy as they progress. Minimising hospital visits will be key. They will also work that extended stays at home since Covid will likely cause greater obesity as people eat more, drink more and exercise less.was always going to be a problem. I’m fortunate as a very physical temporary job these last two months have led to a weight loss of 10kg or so taking me much nearer to my BMI.

The way some foods are marketed definitely doesn't help, whether it's fast food or in the supermarkets, super-size, perceived VFM etc but I don't think this tackles the root causes of obesity.

Government thinking on this issue is confused. We have an overweight PM telling us to lose weight and a suggestion for doctors to prescribe cycling without a system of decent cycle lanes to enable as a any people as possible to cycle to work

Government thinking on this issue is confused. We have an overweight PM telling us to lose weight. A PM who has shown no indication of losing weight himself despite a life threatening illness exacerbated by his weight

Not true.

He has lost weight. About a stone I think.

The way some foods are marketed definitely doesn't help, whether it's fast food or in the supermarkets, super-size, perceived VFM etc but I don't think this tackles the root causes of obesity.

I think the policy is to reduce the number of 'buy one get one free' offers on junk food, and move confectionary away from the till area.

What annoys me is that the own brand value products are often soo low I cannot read the labels, or see the price easily. Never mind being difficult to pick up.
I think they put high value product at eye height. Swines.

Government thinking on this issue is confused. We have an overweight PM telling us to lose weight and a suggestion for doctors to prescribe cycling without a system of decent cycle lanes to enable as a any people as possible to cycle to work
How does a doc prescribe cycling?
Do I get a free bike?

Don't you need to be fairly well-off to eat healthily these days?

What are you basing your comment on? Probably sensible to establish what you regard as healthy eating?

I think it is easy to eat healthy these days.

There are many factors I think.

People thinking they are 'time-poor,' and therefore buying processed or fast food, this is a common media pushed excuse.

Also, people are lazy and cannot be bothered to cook.

Parents haven't taught their kids how to cook (shameful)

Kids who get spoiled by their parents. "Our Henry will not eat vegetables, he will only eat chicken nuggets..."

(Probably more obvious comments, but I am on a mission)

Because they're not bad for you per se. Only if you consume in excess and / or don't exercise to compensate.

advertisement

Back