advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I’m sure he’s fed up. However, I think he needs to look at himself! So he never thought about popping into a Second hand watch dealer and asking how much they would give him, looking on eBay or a watch forum? If it was a 5 year old Sub he’d get £5k on here easy. I could have sold it in 5 minutes to one of 4 friends or even bought it and kept it myself. No way is a 5 year old sub worth £1.5K. Was it an AD?
As far as I know, yes. He just traded in, as people do. He'd bought the old one there, did the finance, paid it for a while, traded up. There may have been outstanding finance on it, I don't know or much care. I know very well he's telling me the truth, why would he lie? It's not as if this tale makes him look good, is it?

CW don't get a lot of love. A lot of it is down to snobbery, however I think if there is a fair criticism it's that they have no resale value once used, unlike the other brands. That said, I don't buy the "never lose money on a Rolex" routine . A friend of mine has, about 4 or 5 years ago he bought a Sub, cost about 5k or so. Kept it in a safe and wore it on special occasions. Fancied a fancier one, so traded it in with the dealer. Ouch. I think he got about £1500 back, and had to take out another finance deal for the new one. Hardly never losing money.

I think they do have resale value - some models more than others. Check the sold prices on E-bay. Yes you'll lose money but a boggo c60 Trident pro fetches £350-400 at 4 years old. Bought in the sales will only have cost £500. Yes I'm a fan, I've got four of 'em, because they please my eye and I like the value proposition. I just don't see a watch, any watch, being worth thousands. Having said that, I accept that if something holds a value, then it's a real value, regardless of actual value of components. It's worth what its worth, just not to me. And now I'll contradict myself because having a friend's Rolex Sea Dweller in my hand could make me re-evaluate all that! Nice watch.

I just find it unbelievable that someone would except £1.5k for a watch that they could get at least £6k for. With I little effort he could have made an extra £4.5k.

I'm currently wearing the watch I've had the longest: a Fossil Big Tic which I bought new in 2007. Although it's a bog-standard quartz jobbie, I'm quite fond of it as a few mates had Fossil watches at the time. It just so happens the over-sized strap thing quickly went out of fashion and it sat in a drawer for years, but I've now got it on one of these 20mm velcro straps and it's much more aesthetically acceptable as well as a bit more comfortable. Anyway, I'm wearing it just now and the feeling of nostalgia is strong and happy.

51VTGQDY5KL._AC_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm currently wearing the watch I've had the longest: a Fossil Big Tic which I bought new in 2007. Although it's a bog-standard quartz jobbie, I'm quite fond of it as a few mates had Fossil watches at the time. It just so happens the over-sized strap thing quickly went out of fashion and it sat in a drawer for years, but I've now got it on one of these 20mm velcro straps and it's much more aesthetically acceptable as well as a bit more comfortable. Anyway, I'm wearing it just now and the feeling of nostalgia is strong and happy.

51VTGQDY5KL._AC_.jpg

are you listening to a wham record?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Flame suit on - but I have to confess I think the vast majority of Nato straps are bl**dy awful looking. Not unlike those little elasticated belts with the S shaped buckle that used to come free with cheap kids trousers back in the day (don't ask me how I know that..). Marginally functional, but pretty naff really - both the belts and the straps - all imho of course :)

Those perlon straps do have a touch more class about them though.

Last edited:
I had a one piece perlon strap on my first watch right through my teens, loved its comfort. They were very common and cheap. There were no Natos around then.

Such woven straps *are* classier imv to Natos, and I feel they suit dressier watches better than "tool" styles. I have one on my vintage "dress" Seiko 5. I like Natos on divers; I also have one on a large Eco Drive. I always cut the "safety" part of the strap off to keep the watch lower on my wrist and so I can have the buckle under my wrist instead of on the side. I chuck them in the wash when they get dirty.

Leather is really not my style, and besides I find nylon straps more durable. They're also more comfortable than any bracelet I've tried, with one exception that equals them - the thin and very light and flexible H link that came on my mid-70s Citizen diver.

Yeah - I was never really drawn to those shark-mesh straps until recently, but then saw one on a vintage SS dress Omega watch.
Half tempted to put one on the little auto-Speedmaster I have.

To each his own, re Nato straps. I've worn Natos for a long time way before they became trendy, which is only of late.

Natos work well on sporty watches like divers but they do look naff on dress watches. They were meant for military use after all.

They have a lot of benefits over leather straps for instance. Humid hot weather will kill a leather strap very quickly (from your sweat) while the Nato can be washed when soiled and continue to wear well. They come in a variety of colors and stripes so you can change them to match your outfit or for variety.

But they have become 'over' ubiquitous and brands are putting them on their offerings. I see that as a cheap cost saving step instead of a proper leather strap or bracelet. One can easily obtain a good Nato strap elsewhere if one wants after all.

To each his own, re Nato straps. I've worn Natos for a long time way before they became trendy, which is only of late.

given heightened awareness of systemic racism and imperialism in recent weeks, i would like to point out that some of us outside of the anglo realm have suffered massive consequences of war crimes committed by the british military (and NATO, which is both naming "coincidence" and partner group) over the past few decades, including a lot of death and poverty. people displaying a symbol like this on wrist may want to think twice. in fact, the rule applies to all military fashion statements.

Spotted this...

seiko-kinetic-ska791p1-9897804.jpg

A little reminiscent of a SARB17 but much cheaper. They're on offer for under £150 at some sellers.
I was tempted but it's too similar to my daily basher, being from the same series.

Spotted this...

seiko-kinetic-ska791p1-9897804.jpg

A little reminiscent of a SARB17 but much cheaper. They're on offer for under £150 at some sellers.
I was tempted but it's too similar to my daily basher, being from the same series.

What is it and where is it on offer?

Found it lmao!

given heightened awareness of systemic racism and imperialism in recent weeks, i would like to point out that some of us outside of the anglo realm have suffered massive consequences of war crimes committed by the british military (and NATO, which is both naming "coincidence" and partner group) over the past few decades, including a lot of death and poverty. people displaying a symbol like this on wrist may want to think twice. in fact, the rule applies to all military fashion statements.

Woke meets watch-thread. Was only a matter of time I guess.

So can I use GPS, Duct tape, a microwave or an epi-pen but not a nylon watch strap or bomber jacket?

advertisement

Back