advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...what's the story with the title of this picture?
Not a Country fan?
Excellent and pants wettingly funny 90's duo The Cheap Sunglasses (George Welch and Phil Rantzen) on Tyneside used to do a memorable parody of Kenny Rogers "You Picked a Fine time to Leave Me Lucille" as "You Picked a Fine time to Leave Me Loose Wheel". When I saw the wheel under the water I couldn't resist it as a title. I kind of liked the idea of people looking for the wheel...and wondering if there was some story....
The place the image is of, Sinc Harriet, or by the climbers Dali's, is a quarried hole one level, or sixty odd feet deep. Somewhere there is a tunnel accessing the bottom, but it has fallen in and blocked.
The amount of drainage it can provide is a little les than rainfall, generally, which means the water level varies interestingly by quite large amounts.
Last week the shed was well underwater six or ten feet.
It's not uncommon for half full to be achieved, and the shed barely seen - the water is very clear.
A few times in relentless storms it has filled right to the top.
Also in drought it can be cracked mud with not a drop of water.
I'm pretty sure the wheel post dates the quarry, and was left by the Clash of the Titans filming that happened a few years back.
Here's another view

Sinc-Harriet

Not a Country fan?
Excellent and pants wettingly funny 90's duo The Cheap Sunglasses (George Welch and Phil Rantzen) on Tyneside used to do a memorable parody of Kenny Rogers "You Picked a Fine time to Leave Me Lucille" as "You Picked a Fine time to Leave Me Loose Wheel". When I saw the wheel under the water I couldn't resist it as a title. I kind of liked the idea of people looking for the wheel...and wondering if there was some story....
The place the image is of, Sinc Harriet, or by the climbers Dali's, is a quarried hole one level, or sixty odd feet deep. Somewhere there is a tunnel accessing the bottom, but it has fallen in and blocked.
The amount of drainage it can provide is a little les than rainfall, generally, which means the water level varies interestingly by quite large amounts.
Last week the shed was well underwater six or ten feet.
It's not uncommon for half full to be achieved, and the shed barely seen - the water is very clear.
A few times in relentless storms it has filled right to the top.
Also in drought it can be cracked mud with not a drop of water.
I'm pretty sure the wheel post dates the quarry, and was left by the Clash of the Titans filming that happened a few years back.
Here's another view

Sinc-Harriet

I was completely thrown scalewise by the first image, I thought the 'shed' was something of around the size of a smallish pile of breeze blocks, so I searched in vain for a wheel in the relative scale. It's only when I eventually grasped it from this post (I kept thinking 'shed, what shed?') that I went back and found the very much smaller than expected wheel.

So...what's the story with the title of this picture?

Can you see the little wheel in the picture....a small red one with the black rubber tyre...and the big lump of slate is shaped like a western wagon...just my interpretation...

50149315516_7e37837bfc_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back