advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Marchbanks 25 years since trying a 2004...?
Just kidding.

I have tried for a long time to keep my reviews to “I like it” or “I didn’t like it”. I fail miserably, because the reviews, which are written with my own use in mind, are better served with why I liked it, which might include what food it went with, for when I go to drink it again, etc. I have, however, instructed my wife to make sure she shoots me if I start spouting utter bollocks about flavours, etc. when discussing wine.
Now that’s a review which would actually be useful!

@Marchbanks 25 years since trying a 2004...?
Just kidding.
There’s always one, isn’t there...

I’m pretty sure they were ’88s. I was told to drink them now or leave them for a long time. I left them for a long time. Too long. They were old and tired. So perhaps it was only twenty years ago.

And I had a glimpse at CellarTracker yesterday evening. I found that the two bottles of 2000 claret that got hidden behind more recent purchases should have been drunk two years ago, so I'd better tackle them next. I also found that the 2011 Pommard I bought at £20 a bottle is now 'worth' £50.

And I had a glimpse at CellarTracker yesterday evening. I found that the two bottles of 2000 claret that got hidden behind more recent purchases should have been drunk two years ago, so I'd better tackle them next.
I wouldn’t get too anxious, as long as they have been reasonably stored they should be OK. I have some 2000 d’Angludet that it tells me should be finished by the end of the year - still seems fine to me - and some Lagrange that it says shouldn’t even be started until next year (I’ve had nine so far.) That one must be an error, but it’s all just guidelines.

A quick google suggests Beaucastel blanc is more expensive than the rouge. Peculiar. And reminds me why I never bought it.
It is not that I think white wine is not equal to red (unlike rosé): I have stretched the wallet as far as Kumeu Hunting Hill. It is just that we drink a lot of white and sometimes tend to glug it a bit, starting before a meal.
Beaucastel red is my red line for price. I wouldn't cross it for a white.

Last edited:
^ ahh but that is a Sauternes. Another category altogether. And you got the last bottles !
The only other white I have in that price bracket is a 2006 Ernest Burn Pinot Gris Graines Nobles - although that’s really in a similar category to the Suduiraut. The Burn was on their list at 50€, but it didn’t cost me anything - it was a prezzie, presumably thanks to the Marchbanks charm. Obviously a good thing to use, but it’s such an effort first to find it and then - even harder - try to remember how to turn it on.

Oh, there are the 1990 Huets as well - more luscious things. That worked the opposite way round - Gaston charmed the socks off me, as I’ve said before.

Last edited:
Some excellent steel-fermented Chardonnays being made in the south of France now. We've been selling a lot of this kind of Chardonnay this year, the inevitable rebound from all the lean or zingy Sauvignon blancs that people are probably getting a little bored of. Pinot Gris too. There are some lovely bright, citrusy unoaked Chardonnays coming out of Australia now.

Some excellent steel-fermented Chardonnays being made in the south of France now. We've been selling a lot of this kind of Chardonnay this year, the inevitable rebound from all the lean or zingy Sauvignon blancs that people are probably getting a little bored of. Pinot Gris too. There are some lovely bright, citrusy unoaked Chardonnays coming out of Australia now.

We are both enjoying the non oaked version, very subtle, and pair with simple dishes works for us.

Will have a look at your stock

Unoaked chardonnay should be cheaper: no oak barrels to buy.
Unoaked chardonnay is essentially a chablis isn't it ? Or vice versa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back