advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

As I said, I can just let it go. I know and appreciate all that, but it just doesn't affect me. And it affects me even less in the current situation. I'd love to have got into F1 when I left the RAF in 1990 (I was servicing fly by wire actuators from Tornados) but I chose a different path. Perhaps I'd care more if I'd tried hard to join a team.

Did you ever consider joining a team with your engineering skills/background Tony?

Did you ever consider joining a team with your engineering skills/background Tony?

I applied to a few teams in 1993/4 after I’d returned from Saudi. No interest. Then I heard that the forming Super Aguri team were after hydraulics techs for their factory, applied, interview! Interesting day, but it became obvious that I was being interviewed for a position in the race team. I started to back off, as being away from home from February to Novemember (no separate test team) wasn’t an option.

Too old now, and in East Anglia, not the ideal location.

The job takes me to Brize Norton every now and then now, and we tend to stay close to the Leafield Technical Centre where Super Aguri were based. It’s a real shame to see images on line of it now. Up for sale since the Caterham F1 team folded, gradually turning derelict.

Slightly off-topic but I think Ian W and yourself Tony have the most interesting jobs among us all on pink fish. F1 and cutting edge (expensive!) military toys? Boyhood fantasy stuff right there!

Canada, Texas and Mexico all cancelled. No refund information yet though F1 did contact us to ask if we want to buy tickets to next year’s race. Cheeky bastards.

Canada, Texas and Mexico all cancelled. No refund information yet though F1 did contact us to ask if we want to buy tickets to next year’s race. Cheeky bastards.

Man, that's no good - hopefully, you get a full refund sooner rather than later!

The job takes me to Brize Norton every now and then now, and we tend to stay close to the Leafield Technical Centre where Super Aguri were based. It’s a real shame to see images on line of it now. Up for sale since the Caterham F1 team folded, gradually turning derelict.

Blimey, that's gone downhill. I decommissioned their enormous 3D theatre after it all went belly up. Had to take down 3 massive ceiling mounted Barco projectors used in 3D, a whole room of 19 in rack mount computer kit, speakers etc. Took 3 days. Also bought some Meridian amps (501/ 557) from them. Certainly didn't leave it like that! The deal was that I got the job done in exchange for all the kit.

Those 2 ponds at the front were heaving with massive Koi Carp, sadly, all diseased.

Sad case that I am, I bought a Tornado taileron powered flying control unit last year from eBay, £50. These babies were my life from 1982 to 1999, £100,000, and too complicated for their own good. Gave me lots of work though.
4,000psi hydraulic pressure, three outer loop potentiometers, four inner loop potentiometers, summation shaft, sub actuators, clutches, servos and solenoids.. the list went on. And they even let me play with and repair the electrics. Why can’t I find the confidence to do that now???

The guy I bought it off had two more, and a Lynx helicopter in his garden. Friends on Facebook now :)

Sad case that I am, I bought a Tornado taileron powered flying control unit last year from eBay, £50. These babies were my life from 1982 to 1999, £100,000, and too complicated for their own good. Gave me lots of work though.
4,000psi hydraulic pressure, three outer loop potentiometers, four inner loop potentiometers, summation shaft, sub actuators, clutches, servos and solenoids.. the list went on. And they even let me play with and repair the electrics. Why can’t I find the confidence to do that now???

I love that you bought this, well done.

The guy I bought it off had two more, and a Lynx helicopter in his garden. Friends on Facebook now :)

Building one piece at a time?

Updated season

5 July - Austrian GP, Red Bull Ring
12 July - Styrian GP, Red Bull Ring
19 July - Hungarian GP, Hungaroring
2 August - British GP, Silverstone
9 August - 70th Anniversary GP, Silverstone
16 August - Spanish GP, Barcelona
30 August - Belgian GP, Spa-Francorchamps
6 September - Italian GP, Monza
13 September - Tuscan GP, Mugello
27 September - Russian GP, Sochi

New additions
11 October - Eifel GP, Nurburgring
25 October - Portuguese GP, Algarve
1 November - Emilia-Romagna GP, Imola

Good point. If it's called off. I'd be happy to see 2 races at Spa instead.
Except Belgium numbers are on the up so they could be in the same position. Its a difficult call as the whole show is sort of one big bubble or at least bubbles within bubbles so should be OK. If anywhere on the remaining races got as bad as the America's then I suspect they would be pulled but I think for now Spain is below that. However 3 weeks is a longtime in all of this.

advertisement

Back