advertisement

EU plug, UK socket

Thorn

pfm Member
i've just bought a wine fridge from a French company. It's arrived with an EU plug and an adaptor. Is there any reason why I shouldn't snip the plug off and fit a UK one?

I didn't see that there was an adaptor. Yes, that will work.
I still have French stuff that has French plugs, I have made various extension leads to go from UK to France and back, when I moved to France I decided that there was no way I was rewiring every plug, so things like the hifi stayed on UK and I changed the 4 way extension lead only.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't snip the plug off and fit a UK one?

It won't fit in the socket if you don't ;) Seriously, things come with molded plugs because Joe Public isn't trusted to do the job safely

It won't fit in the socket if you don't ;) Seriously, things come with molded plugs because Joe Public isn't trusted to do the job safely
Let's be honest, the old situation of expecting every UK buyer of electrical appliances to complete the manufacturing process was rather stupid. I still remember when I was a student, an American girl went out and bought a kettle or a hairdryer or something. She came back to the hall of res and unpacked it. "Hey, what the...What the hell am I supposed to do with this?"
"Oh yes," I said, "did you buy a plug?"
"What? No of COURSE I didn't buy a plug! What kind of country IS this? I bought this, I want to plug it in and use it!"
Fortunately I was able to find a plug, or I stole one from something that wasn't being used, a table lamp or similar, and wired it up so she could use the thing.

I didn't see that there was an adaptor. Yes, that will work.
I still have French stuff that has French plugs, I have made various extension leads to go from UK to France and back, when I moved to France I decided that there was no way I was rewiring every plug, so things like the hifi stayed on UK and I changed the 4 way extension lead only.
Me too!

The way things are going at the moment, you'll soon need to get a sparky to sign off on that job and issue you with a Certificate of Compliance.

Get on with it before it's too late!

things come with molded plugs because Joe Public isn't trusted to do the job safely
I come from the time when we were taught how to wire a plug at school in science or physics.
Better to chop it off and put a proper plug on as:
1) The spring contacts in an adaptor may not be reliable long term.
2) The depth of plug + adaptor might mean it will not go close enough to a wall?

remember when you used to buy electrical stuff with no plug on it?

I found a new in box stick blender at a carbootie, never opened from the early 80s, no plug just a blue and brown cable ready for you to pop to tandy to get the plug.

i've just bought a wine fridge from a French company. It's arrived with an EU plug and an adaptor. Is there any reason why I shouldn't snip the plug off and fit a UK one?
Minor point....but not all our French apiances fit into plug sockets in our German warehouse. Hence I am not sure there is an EU plug?

We spend 60 years in the EU thingy and they can't even standardise plugs. I thought that was what the EU was for. Where's Jacques Delors when you need him?

Minor point....but not all our French apiances fit into plug sockets in our German warehouse. Hence I am not sure there is an EU plug?
Correct. I don't know the German ones but Italian and French plugs are different, though they look similar. Very similar in fact, to the point where you wonder why they won't fit.

advertisement

Back