advertisement

Naim Transformer Hum or Buzz, how loud should it be?

Does Your Naim Buzz

• Total voters

Napzca

I am wondering how loud a Naim transformer Hum or Buzz should be, what is the Naim tolerance for Hum in dB?

I recorded 76dB Hum or Buzz at 200Hz on a Naim Nap 250.

What is your equipment and Hum level in dB and Hertz?

Reactions: NL
I can hear power supplies when up close. Nap 250s are very noisy or can be. Could need a re-cap.

It probably bothers me more now than it did, not sure why.

This will quickly turn into an anti naim thread

Hum from the cases is entirely down to the toroidal transformer they use. The older CB gear used to use Holden and Fisher transformers and these were almost silent. Since then they've gone with Nuvotem and they're noisier mechanically. There's nothing to add. If they used a different case design and could have taller rather than flatter transformers they could alleviate this somewhat.

My 250 hums very quietly on occasion.
I have never been bothered enough to measure it!

I used to have a big Naim system: CDS3/XPS2, 252/SCap, 300/300PSU. The transformers in the 300 PSU unit and the Supercap used to buzz constantly. Not a problem when I lived alone (and it didn't affect the sound) but I live in a very small terraced house and don't play the hifi every minute of every day so not an ideal situation to put up with long term. I downsized many moons ago so all of the aforementioned boxes have gone, but I understand from Naim users on the forum these days that the 'DR' versions of the XPS and 300PSU exhibit no transformer hum at all. OTOH I've also read (on here, I think) that using some kind of balanced power supply unit might help to alleviate the problem.

My NAP160 has H&F transformer and doesn't hum. Having read a lot about this I made sure that when I got a Hicap for my NAC72 it was old enough to also have H&F - silence. Can't believe H&Fs 'secrets' died with them, surely Naim could have employed one of their former employees for a bit of consultancy?

I am wondering how loud a Naim transformer Hum or Buzz should be, what is the Naim tolerance for Hum in dB?

That's only 9dB quieter than the average rock concert do you bother with music as well?

My power amps throw out over 300 watts and weigh over 30kg each, when on they are silent with your ear pressed against the case, and no hiss through the speakers, if your amps/transformers humm, its because v- poor quality, and v-poor implementation, but don't worry naim fan-boys will buy anything, and naim know it,

Mine buzzes but I can’t hear it when music is playing even if I try, so it’s not really a concern.

I don’t have the means of testing the dB and Hz.

To analyse the Hum you could use a dB meter or Spectrum Analyser for the Phone or Tablet or you could use REW.

Its surprising that such an expensive piece of kit has this problem. My amps each have two large and heavy 1.2KVA xformers that are getting on for around 18 years old. They are silent even with my ear against the case. Also there is no vibration that I can feel. I have two of these beasts so thats four 1.2KVA xformers and no noise.

Having said that I suppose I am lucky in not having DC on the mains. My Naim kit did pick up French radio stations though but my latest kit is silent. The only hum I do get is from my phono stage when its in use but that is entirely my fault for placing it directly above those four large xformers!

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back