advertisement

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_music

I was instantly attracted to Jungle, it just makes me want to dance. (Heavy gigs at the Marcus Garvey Centre - Nottm. and a few parties in the area and Leicester)

Spotted this on amazon - double album with some solid tunes, and an excellent introduction if anyone wants to explore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_music

Apart from 12" singles, I have stuff like Top Cat vs General Levy

Top Cat Vs General Levy ‎– Rumble In The Jungle Volume One
Label:
Jungle Fashion Records ‎– JFLP001
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP
UK
Released:
Genre:
Electronic
Style:
Jungle

Share your Jungle favourites.

Like Reggae it has an infectious quality, I used to love it back in the 90s, in a club it would always get people moving. I collected the original 12"s in the late 90s/early 00s, having missed out on buying them in the mid 90s, sold most of them now though, probably wouldn't sound great on a valve amplifier.

All time faves must be these two.

Like Reggae it has an infectious quality, I used to love it back in the 90s, in a club it would always get people moving. I collected the original 12"s in the late 90s/early 00s, having missed out on buying them in the mid 90s, sold most of them now though, probably wouldn't sound great on a valve amplifier.

All time faves must be these two.

The Leviticus - 'Burial' track is on the album I linked to on amazon.
(chronic 1) mix.

Didn't know the Omni-Trio.
makes me think of Venetian Snares but slower :)

The Leviticus - 'Burial' track is on the album I linked to on amazon.
(chronic 1) mix.

Didn't know the Omni-Trio.
makes me think of Venetian Snares but slower :)
The mix I linked to is the main one, I think the Chronic might be Roni size, pretty sure the Philly Blunt label came out of Bristol, was one of the biggest tunes back in the day, such a memorable melody, and actually samples Barry Manilow's 'Copacabanna'!

Love it. Jungle will bring a plinky plonk HiFi to its knees, a better matched HiFi with will show you what an AKAI sine or chopped break REALLY sounds like.

Aquarius - Drift To The Centre

Aquarius - Dolphin Tune

Lemon D - This is LA (the master of the drop)

Oh and what a drop in Lemon D's - I Can't Stop:

Love it. Jungle will bring a plinky plonk HiFi to its knees, a better matched HiFi with will show you what an AKAI sine or chopped break REALLY sounds like.

Aquarius - Drift To The Centre

Aquarius - Dolphin Tune

Lemon D - This is LA (the master of the drop)

Oh and what a drop in Lemon D's - I Can't Stop:

ace, I will have a listen later. (Mozart playing now)

I have been digging in the spare room and found this which I bought in 1992, probably Selectadisc in Nottm. Haven't heard it for yonks.
Just giving the L.P's a wet clean.

18" Speaker is a good title for a tune. As well as '£10 To Get In' and '£20 To Get In...'

the forerunners to Jungle, or at least some of it.

Various ‎– **** Off And Die
Label:
Shut Up And Dance Records ‎– SUAD COMP 1
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Limited Edition
UK
Released:
Genre:
Electronic
Style:
Breakbeat, Hardcore

I got to know Goldie before he started releasing music. I went to the Rage nights at Heaven, and his events at The Blue Note, as drum 'n' bass and jungle were taking off. Having spent time on the acid house and techno scenes, it was great to hear a new genre coming through. It was also a laugh to try and dance to.

Jack

I got to know Goldie before he started releasing music. I went to the Rage nights at Heaven, and his events at The Blue Note, as drum 'n' bass and jungle were taking off. Having spent time on the acid house and techno scenes, it was great to hear a new genre coming through. It was also a laugh to try and dance to.

Jack

I would rather dance to jungle and drum & bass than techno "hands in the air like you just don't care." I need space to dance to it.
My experience of acid and techno dancing was cramped and repetitive. And sweaty.

Please tell me you didn't have glow sticks? :(

It is the rhythm of jungle that I like, it feels more adventurous than techno stylee.

ace, I will have a listen later. (Mozart playing now)

I have been digging in the spare room and found this which I bought in 1992, probably Selectadisc in Nottm. Haven't heard it for yonks.
Just giving the L.P's a wet clean.

18" Speaker is a good title for a tune. As well as '£10 To Get In' and '£20 To Get In...'

the forerunners to Jungle, or at least some of it.

Various ‎– **** Off And Die
Label:
Shut Up And Dance Records ‎– SUAD COMP 1
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Limited Edition
UK
Released:
Genre:
Electronic
Style:
Breakbeat, Hardcore

I used to love "£20 to get in", then recently I heard the record one of its main hooks was sampled from - Mantronix 'Scream', and realised it was pretty amateur in comparison, but then again Mantronix was a master of the genre (Hip Hop, electro, whatever).

I used to love "£20 to get in", then recently I heard the record one of its main hooks was sampled from - Mantronix 'Scream', and realised it was pretty amateur in comparison, but then again Mantronix was a master of the genre (Hip Hop, electro, whatever)

Yes, the Foock Off An Die compilation sounded dated and amateur now, but it captured a moment in British music.

Similar time, early 90's, I got a Daddy Freddy album that sounds amateur as well, but it captures a sound I liked.

Daddy Freddy ‎– Stress
Label:
Music Of Life ‎– FREDDY 1
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album
UK
Released:
Genre:
Hip Hop
Style:
Ragga HipHop

Yes, the Foock Off An Die compilation sounded dated and amateur now, but it captured a moment in British music.

Similar time, early 90's, I got a Daddy Freddy album that sounds amateur as well, but it captures a sound I liked.

Daddy Freddy ‎– Stress
Label:
Music Of Life ‎– FREDDY 1
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album
UK
Released:
Genre:
Hip Hop
Style:
Ragga HipHop
Well, the US stuff was always more polished, hardcore and jungle were only being released on indie labels, sometimes on white labels, so indie with a small i. I think the Jungle sound was best around 1994/95, a lot of the 'drum 'n' bass stuff for me is just mood muzak.

Well, the US stuff was always more polished, hardcore and jungle were only being released on indie labels, sometimes on white labels, so indie with a small i. I think the Jungle sound was best around 1994/95, a lot of the 'drum 'n' bass stuff for me is just mood muzak.

mmm...

Jungle and then Drum n Bass, came from the U.K.

Mantronix was in a different direction, in my opinion.

Anyone wanna sell their decent jungle cuts to me ?!
The best i could do was mixtapes from the time and i had no idea what most of the tracks were back then.

This thread is making me very nostalgic.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back