advertisement

£600 to spend on standmount speakers

ossy

pfm Member
Am after a pair of involving standmounts for a small room (13m2), or small floorstanders.

Current speakers are quad 11l’s being driven by a quad vena. The quads are ok but not very involving.

On the shortlist are Triangle esprit Titus ez, anybody heard them?

What would you recommend?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Once again absolutely no one mentions the Amphion Argon1, work well close to boundaries or in awkward spaces, absolutely superb little speakers that are actually designed for the real world.
TS

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The other factor is how easy will it be to shift them on if/when you decide to change things again. Well known/regarded/reviewed stuff is easier to move.

Left of field I know, but I’ve just bought a pair of these from @orangeart

https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/cesti-mb/

I post because you mention involving ... these are exactly that, with incredible imaging and great bass full stop, let alone for a standmounter. There’s a good review here.

https://www.hifichoice.com/content/markaudio-sota-cesti-mb

£350 uk delivered for beautifully finished, brand new Speakers with an RRP of £995. The definition of bargain I’d say.

Will second this. I’ve got some as well. Fantastic speaker and a complete bargain.

Oops. Soz I love my DB1+. I’m PMC-focussed. Always liked the Proacs I heard but I’m trying to avoid changing anything for as long as poss. OMG I’ll be googling Proacs this evening

Previous speakers (prior to quads) were ruark talisman II floor standers. Lovely but bass overpowered the room although put up with this for at least 5 years. I am wary of floorstanders, small standmounts would fit the room better.
Wife has said ‘I am not having those giant speakers back again’.........:eek:

Previous speakers (prior to quads) were ruark talisman II floor standers. Lovely but bass overpowered the room although put up with this for at least 5 years. I am wary of floorstanders, small standmounts would fit the room better.
Wife has said ‘I am not having those giant speakers back again’.........:eek:
Check out Totem, they do some small footprint speakers Arro/Hawk, heard them with some Arcam amps a while ago should work well with the Vena.

Aren't there some Neat SX3s for sale on these forums?

I'd deffo look at those

What about the usual suspects (KEF LS50s, Monitor Audio Silver 100s, Gold 50s, Dynaudio Emit 20s, PMC DB1i's etc)?

Have you heard the 3S, curious how that passive radiator alters the sound.
Hi, the Argon 1s actually replaced the 3S in my system. Sound wise the 3S obviously digs deeper and (obviously) sounds "bigger" but ultimately there is surprisingly little in it, you probably won't be surprised to hear they actually sound very similar, they both work extremely well close to boundaries, they have a completely natural & unfatiguing top end which won't grab your attention during a 10 min demo in a hifi shop but will also not make your ears bleed during a long listening session. The biggest difference for me is the 1s have a bit more of that midrange sparkle, that quality that people often mention describing small BBC type monitors (the 3S replaced P3ESRs in my system) which is why I ended up preferring them over there big brothers.
TS

I have some Proac Reference 8 Signatures
Like new and boxed
Also have the Atacama stands with the extra weights in the floor plates
Pm if interested

Once again absolutely no one mentions the Amphion Argon1, work well close to boundaries or in awkward spaces, absolutely superb little speakers that are actually designed for the real world.
TS

Agree, very balanced, big soundstage, room friendly, great all-rounders. The Argon 2 and 3 are a step up, and could be had for the budget s/h. :)

These are better than B&W 805 Sigs, for a lot less dough.

advertisement

Back