advertisement

Audio Innovations Valve amps

Ah. Fair enough. As I say, never totally overwhelmed with the AI integrateds (would rather have had a Sugden a21 all things considered) but I liked the speakers, and had sufficiently fond memories of the Js to buy a pair of Ks for an office system (with a Sugden) back in the day.

It might be worth contacting PureSound re the amp if you've not previously done so. Although personally I admit that there's a (not very big) limit to how much cash I'd throw at at an S500 40 years down the line. Good luck with getting a result.

I have Snell type J mk2, ran them with a Leak stereo 20 with Border Patrol supply, the sound was never less than excellent,
they'll go plenty loud enough with 10 watts, should fly with an AI 500
I'd take the amp back
Emmm yeh, I'll give it a listen over the next few days, got some time off, listening now and it sounds ok, but as I said push the volume past 11/12 o'clock the sounds distorts. The overall sound is a bit dry, i think that might be a character of the J's? I'm listening to a Garrard 401 through a Graham slee era V.

Hello Guy,
I thought it a good idea to clean any dust away from my S800 mk3 power amp,
it's in immaculate condition, I removed the top cover and noticed R12 had cooked,
I've not had a valve failure since owning the amp ( 9 years ) or noticed any smoke etc, so maybe it happened prior to my
ownership. The other 1k resistors are all fine.
At last I get to my question, I know it's a 1k ohm resistor but is it 2 watts or greater ?
I'm going to change the electrolytics on the board as the amp must be over 30 years old by now,
is there anything else you think I should do while I'm at it ?
I'm limited to a Fluke multimeter , no scope at present.
R12 is a screen grid resistor. 1W rating should suffice. Might be worth checking the associated cathode resistor R2 (you'll need to lift one end) The corresponding EL34 has probably failed so you'll need a matched pair really. I'd recommend the EH (Russia) ones.

R12 is a screen grid resistor. 1W rating should suffice. Might be worth checking the associated cathode resistor R2 (you'll need to lift one end) The corresponding EL34 has probably failed so you'll need a matched pair really. I'd recommend the EH (Russia) ones.

Thanks Guy,
Cathode resistors all measure OK, R2 is a little out of tolerance compared to the others but only by about 12 ohms.
Valves were RFT EL34

I take it the Russian 5881 are OK too ? I've got a quad of Mullards but my tester is in France ( lucky old tester )
so I can't match them at the moment.
Thanks again

Jules

Emmm yeh, I'll give it a listen over the next few days, got some time off, listening now and it sounds ok, but as I said push the volume past 11/12 o'clock the sounds distorts. The overall sound is a bit dry, i think that might be a character of the J's? I'm listening to a Garrard 401 through a Graham slee era V.

I had tweaked the crossover on my Js , better caps , resistors and that had improved the treble somewhat, so I guess they were a bit non standard,
but I wouldn't have described them as dry.
At the time I was lucky enough to have two systems, the Leak Snell was the 2nd system, the main one was 211 push pull valve amps driving
Apogee Duetta signatures, The 2nd system still got plenty of use, so I'm pretty sure the sound was as excellent as I remember

Well, had a chance to listen to the S500/ AN Js set up now. It is the most hifi set up I've had, heard some quite extraordinary things on some early Bowie LPs, whilst with some mid period Beatles tracks it was quite dissonant. I listen through a GS Era V - Nag mp200 - Garrard 401 (which needs a more solid plinth apparently). Once again the amp was modded by a reputable technician, and the AN Js are quite mint, i suppose being models from the 90s - I think so anyway, may'be the 00s, they could do with a check over. Need to listen more to really get a taste for this set up, one of my main comlaints was stridency with wind instruments in Jazz music, so will listen to some of that today.

Emmm, the s500/AN J's can't seem to deal with some heavyish early Bowie..............Just buckle under the pressure of hard rock 'n' roll.

Emmm, the s500/AN J's can't seem to deal with some heavyish early Bowie..............Just buckle under the pressure of hard rock 'n' roll.

That will probably be the speakers not the amp , providing the amp / valves are working as they should be ?

That will probably be the speakers not the amp , providing the amp / valves are working as they should be ?
Well, its just been serviced by a reputable technician, my cd player is getting on a bit, but my vinyl source is a serviced 401. I'm down south so I may pop them into Audionote (if that's not too expensive) for a once over, contacted them before though, and couldn't really give any guidance on cost, so reluctant.

I don't think ANJ have quite the same tonal balance as the Snell J/II. The undoped woofer cones give a drier, less full sound than the doped cones the Snell's had.

Mine gets on famously with the Tannoy Monitor Gold 3LZ... Guy, I'm sorry, I haven't had time to get pictures; Audrey has been in use pretty much constantly! :):):)

Playing Coltrane now, sounding good, was playing some ECM stuff last night - Terje Rypdal etc, well expressed on this system. OK, evening time now and blasting out some Freddie Hubbard, best I've heard it, instruments just so much more realistic, I swear Freddie is alive and well in my living room, well happy now.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "son pur, post: 3929607, membre: 7898"] Salut Piero, Permettez-moi d'avoir une adresse e-mail et je vous enverrai des schémas. Si un 200 pré ne se met pas sous tension, vous devez d'abord vérifier que le fusible n'a pas sauté. Il se trouvera soit dans un tiroir faisant partie de la prise secteur. Ce tirage peut être effectué avec un petit tournevis à lame plate. Si ce n'est pas dans un tiroir, il sera dans un porte-fusible près de la prise de courant. Vérifiez que ce fusible a une continuité. Remplacez-le si nécessaire. Si le fusible est bon mais que les tubes ne s'allument pas, cela suggère que le transformateur de puissance est mort.

Rgs

Guy [/ QUOTE]
Bonjour Je viens de m'inscrire au forum car j'ai un AI SE 200 et j'aimerais avoir les schémas car je voudrais le nettoyer surtout la partie préampli passif car j'ai des problèmes lors du changement de source, j'aimerais aussi avoir quelques conseils pour optimisation et maintenance. Sinon ça marche avec eu thorens TD 135 et je confirme que la partie phono est très bonne même par rapport à un Musical fidelity M1 VNL.
Merci pour votre conseil

JP

Bonjour Je viens de m'inscrire au forum car j'ai un AI SE 200 et j'aimerais avoir les schémas car je voudrais le nettoyer surtout la partie préampli passif car j'ai des problèmes lors du changement de source, j'aimerais aussi avoir quelques conseils pour optimisation et maintenance. Sinon ça marche avec eu thorens TD 135 et je confirme que la partie phono est très bonne même par rapport à un Musical fidelity M1 VNL.
Merci pour votre conseil

JP

Cher JP de Cavel,
Je crains que ce forum est uniquement anglophone. Auriez-vous la bonté de poser votre question en anglais?
Bien à vous,
Steven

Cher JP de Cavel,
Je crains que ce forum est uniquement anglophone. Auriez-vous la bonté de poser votre question en anglais?
Bien à vous,
Steven
Something like:
Hello I just subscribed to the forum because I have an AI SE 200 and I would like to have the diagrams because I would like to clean it especially the passive preamp part because I have problems when changing the source, I would also like have some tips for optimization and maintenance. Otherwise it works with eu thorens TD 135 and I confirm that the phono part is very good even compared to a Musical fidelity M1 VNL.
thank you for your advice.

Hi Guy,
I wonder if you can help me? I'm after schematics for Audio Innovations The First or The Second amplifiers? I'm after the ECC82 version. I don't think it matters whether it's the 6B4G or 2A3 versions.
Thanks in advance
David

advertisement

Back