advertisement

Bad morning commute

You have my sympathy. I did the same mis-judging a bollard island tvurning right and the damage blew out the driver's side rear tyre. Fortunately there was a bit of rough ground to pull onto off the country lane that I was on so that I could change the wheel.
Of course it was raining. Arrived at work late, dirty and damp.:(

I'm not so sure. And that's before you look at the performance of 225/40 section tyres in any snow at all. I used to be able to get a Fiesta through all sorts of crap in the 80s, I've seen the sump scraping on the snow in the middle of the road. These days a dusting thinner than the top of a Victoria Sponge will stop everybody this side of a 4x4.

I still say they ride better now.

My Merc was fine in deep snow while the (245) rear tyres had depth to the tread, but once they were down to about 5mm, yeah, cue winter wheel/tyre purchase.

There’s a good video with Monkey Harris in a C63 with space saver tyres all round. He loved it, but only on the private test track. We have to remember that wide tyres are needed now that so many of us have a big dollop of torque available under our right foot. And braking 1.5 to 2 tonnes with 1980s 185-60/14 tyres could be interesting!

I must admit, I do find it sobering to think that we maintain contact with the road via the equivalent of four handprints

That explains why the Jag tyres are so cheap, they are the same size and it is clearly a standard these days. I still think it's a nonsense putting such big heavy tyres on a standard hatch. The whole point of a PNEUMATIC tyre is that it has a cushion of air. The less air you have the less cushioning you have, and using air to make up a rotating mass is effectively weightless. But no, we replace air with aluminium alloy and rubber. Because it looks cool. The engineers must be tearing their hair out.

I must be a sucker then, because I think they look wicked :D

Wish I'd seen this video last year when I bought the car. I've ordered the kit.

Wish I'd seen this video last year when I bought the car. I've ordered the kit.
a lot of company cars come without a spare so that the driver doesn't attempt to change it and damage something. Including himself. No spare means that if the gloop fails you ring the breakdown service that you pay for.

a lot of company cars come without a spare so that the driver doesn't attempt to change it and damage something. Including himself. No spare means that if the gloop fails you ring the breakdown service that you pay for.

The company car isn't the sort of institution in the USA that is is in the UK. A car is not usually provided unless you actually have to travel in it during work hours. And even then you're more likely to just get a mileage allowance.

Ouch, not good. When I bought my Mercedes CLK (used) it was sold with a brand new set of tyres (I’d asked for this or a discount because the rear tyres were close to the legal limit), great... or so I thought until one came off the rim and left me facing the wrong way on the exit of a roundabout on the way home from the dealership... they’d fitted the same size on the rear as the front, the rears were supposed significantly wider, what with it being a 5 litre V8 and all that. They’d stretched them onto the rims in the vein hope that the air would keep them on the rims... must’ve managed all of 5-6 miles. I don’t know how I didn’t notice when I collected it. Luckily no serious damage, just a badly scratched rim... Man did I have some words for them as I returned with it on an RAC truck an hour or so later... I got new rims and tyres out of them. Must’ve cost them a few quid, but I’d have made life difficult for them if they didn’t comply. Sadly that was just the start of a bad relationship with that car, it was a money pit with all sorts of electrical gremlins which cost a fortune to diagnose and fix, the worst of which made it stick in first gear exiting Charnock Richard services on the M6... I might’ve had some warning if I hadn’t been behind a truck on the exit ramp, but instead, I had to wait for a gap and boot it, and when I did, I went nowhere fast... scared the living shit out of me and I sold the car a short while later.

We've had several CLKs and they were all good (but not a 500 / 55), I was sad they stopped making them. The E-class coupe was OK but just never felt as special.

I bought an Audi A4 2.5TDI Quattro Avant many years go and the dealer had to put four new boots on it to get it through the MOT. Although the 2.5TDI is not a lot oh HP, it had a load of torque which, combined with rock-hard Chinese ditch-finders, was dead easy to lose traction on all four tyres on the way home from buying it so I had to take a detour to the tyre place. They'd never heard on 'Triangle' tyres either...

The company car isn't the sort of institution in the USA that is is in the UK. A car is not usually provided unless you actually have to travel in it during work hours. And even then you're more likely to just get a mileage allowance.
Yes, so I understand. It became a thing in the UK in the 70s as a tax dodge and then acquired a status way in excess of its monetary value. By the 80s if you didn't get a car you were a nobody. Since then it has become less of a benefit, the tax system has caught up. It's now a better deal to buy your own car and bill mileage, but some of the status remains. After all, the neighbours can't see your payslip but they can see your driveway and if your employer ponies up for you a Beemer then you are a force to be reckoned with.

We've had several CLKs and they were all good (but not a 500 / 55), I was sad they stopped making them. The E-class coupe was OK but just never felt as special.

I bought an Audi A4 2.5TDI Quattro Avant many years go and the dealer had to put four new boots on it to get it through the MOT. Although the 2.5TDI is not a lot oh HP, it had a load of torque which, combined with rock-hard Chinese ditch-finders, was dead easy to lose traction on all four tyres on the way home from buying it so I had to take a detour to the tyre place. They'd never heard on 'Triangle' tyres either...
I just bought a lemon, lots of electrical gremlins, quite a few relating to the gearbox, some relating to the engine (I think the loom to the coil packs was cracking and causing some real serious running issues, it went into limp mode quite a few times, there was an ignition control module which died and needed replacing, along with a new set of key fobs, that was expensive, and to add insult, left the driver’s window stuck open, and the recovery company/garage left it outside where it got drenched... and then the issue where it refused to budge above first on the M6, a real frightening experience pulling out into a live lane of a motorway to find you can’t go above about 30mph, luckily there was some hard shoulder to ditch into, but you still feel very vulnerable. That journey was the fourth one which ended on the back of a recovery truck. I love Mercedes, I’d always wanted one and when I got one, I went big, and then had a load of rotten luck. My brother had a 320 which was quite a bit better but still had a few gremlins, mostly a really hard to trace battery drain issue, but to be honest, the biggest issues when that one was corrosion in the arches. Both were absolutely great cars when they were working properly and the guy that board mine probably got a fantastic deal, because it’d had loads done and was sold working properly... but I’d lost faith.
I do kind of wish I’d stuck with it because it was an utterly brilliant thing to drive, brutally quick but absolutely the smoothest and most relaxing drive I’ve ever had, it just ate miles effortlessly, closest thing Ive experienced was a Jag XJR, but the Merc was even better because it was more airy and spacious. I’ll have another big Merc at some point, my dad has an E class estate and I love that. They are in a class of their own when it comes to ride quality.

I’ve had several Audis and VWs and despite not coming close to Mercedes ride quality, I have always been delighted with them, but yeah, I had an A6 2.7TDI Quattro for a while and that could break traction with decent tyres, Chinese ditch finders wouldn’t have cut it. I’ve never skimped on tyres, they’re what puts the power on the road, steer you and stop you, pretty important. Mine are getting on on my Golf GTI, still well above the legal wear limit but I can tell they’ve degraded in performance when new, they’d easily cover another 20k miles on a shopping trolley, but on a 225BHP fwd hot hatch, not good enough. My friend will stick them on his drift car.

I had an A6 2.7TDI Quattro for a while and that could break traction with decent tyres, Chinese ditch finders wouldn’t have cut it. I’ve never skimped on tyres, they’re what puts the power on the road, steer you and stop you, pretty important. Mine are getting on on my Golf GTI, still well above the legal wear limit but I can tell they’ve degraded in performance when new, they’d easily cover another 20k miles on a shopping trolley, but on a 225BHP fwd hot hatch, not good enough. My friend will stick them on his drift car.

At one cocky stage when I thought I was a bit of a driving-God in the making, I bought a set of Chinese made 'Hero' brand tyres - much to the amusement of all the fellow Lotus jocks. The plan was to use them primarily on track to see first hand what the real difference between good and bad rubber was when you were really trying, and have a bit of fun trying to drift the exige. (You can't btw - it just doesn't have enough power and has too much grip at the rear).

Anyways - the choice of tyres caused much scratching of heads and puzzled looks when I rocked up at the local Kwikfit in the exige. Not much was said, until after I had paid the bill, until on the way out - when one of the Polish lads who worked in the garage came over and stuck his head in the window and said quietly "You know, these tyres - in wet, not so good.." He certainly wasn't joking ..

The track outings were educational. As regards grip, in the dry there was really relatively little difference between the comedy tyres and other 'premium' ones. In the wet, they were absolutely fkn horrenjous. God help anybody who ever needed to do an emergency stop in the wet with those things :)

At one cocky stage when I thought I was a bit of a driving-God in the making, I bought a set of Chinese made 'Hero' brand tyres - much to the amusement of all the fellow Lotus jocks. The plan was to use them primarily on track to see first hand what the real difference between good and bad rubber was when you were really trying, and have a bit of fun trying to drift the exige. (You can't btw - it just doesn't have enough power and has too much grip at the rear).

Anyways - the choice of tyres caused much scratching of heads and puzzled looks when I rocked up at the local Kwikfit in the exige. Not much was said, until after I had paid the bill, until on the way out - when one of the Polish lads who worked in the garage came over and stuck his head in the window and said quietly "You know, these tyres - in wet, not so good.." He certainly wasn't joking ..

The track outings were educational. As regards grip, in the dry there was really relatively little difference between the comedy tyres and other 'premium' ones. In the wet, they were absolutely fkn horrenjous. God help anybody who ever needed to do an emergency stop in the wet with those things :)
Yes, in the wet is when I can tell my tyres are ageing, it looks like there’s loads of tread left but they just don’t grip well in the wet, it can be entertaining pulling out of a tight and busy junction, it’ll easily light a tyre up and can spin them in second going in a straight line if you’re trying. I can still drive in the wet without drama but you have to be careful, it’s quite a lively little motor!

I must admit, I do find it sobering to think that we maintain contact with the road via the equivalent of four handprints

I agree, so I hedged my bets:
bentley-ultratruck-e1569616864353.png

In fairness, I thought I'd bought a track car but, happy accidents and all that.

advertisement

Back