advertisement

The PFM Produce and Share a Zine

Amar and Kevin, Thanks both for the kind words, as they say its been a pleasure (and a lot of fun - I'm already working on my next Zine!! - I will have to start a round 2 shortly, and lets hope we get some more entries)

Amar, as I got up at stupid o'clock this morning, I thought why not turn my Zine into a video, so a crash course on Adobe Premiere and here it is, all 1m12s of it!!

Interesting photos, such emptiness is bizarre.
Did you intentionally frame everything vertically?

Interesting photos, such emptiness is bizarre.
Did you intentionally frame everything vertically?

Thanks, yes everything shot vertically and cropped to 5:4 format, I knew I was going to do that so composed with that in mind - I have since expanded the project To include the rest of the village and now have over 200 ‘keepers’, all cropped and processed the same way.

Thanks, yes everything shot vertically and cropped to 5:4 format, I knew I was going to do that so composed with that in mind - I have since expanded the project To include the rest of the village and now have over 200 ‘keepers’, all cropped and processed the same way.

Will you show the project online?

Premiere works in RGB not CMYK, so I exported the images from Affinity as JPG's setting them to 1280px wide, sRGB, then imported the pages into Photoshop and increased Canvas size to match. - If that helps!

Thanks I hadn't considered that. More fun with colour spaces!

Jeeze, Amar, that made my eyes go funny!

It was difficult to judge the correct speed for the flick through. At normal speed it takes around 1 minute but I felt that was too long. I wanted to give a preview but not linger too long so that people still have an incentive to buy the Zine! :D

I used Mixam for this zine https://mixam.co.uk/ and doxdirect https://www.doxdirect.com/ for the last one.

If you only need 1 or 2 copies and your zine is A4 or A5 and up to 16 pages long you can get a test zine from Mixam which gives you two zines for £1.80 - you can only do this every month or so! https://mixam.co.uk/freetest

Mixam is cheaper for colour, and often you can increase the quantity without increasing teh price, ie 10 zines might only cost the same as 5 zines.

Is the printed contrast roughly what you see on screen?

Edit: I mean compared to the PDF not the video.

Last edited:
Is the printed contrast roughly what you see on screen?

Edit: I mean compared to the PDF not the video.

Eeerm, no, the printed contrast is roughly what I would expect from printing the image using a reasonable photo printer, there is not as much contrast as if I printed using top quality paper in my Canon Pro-1000

Its perfectly good though, and probably better than my expectations

@Lefty 's Zine (small book!) arrived today completing the set, very nice and I like the ticker cover, may have to pinch that for next time.

Thanks to all who took part, and to those sitting on the sidelines, hope you can take part in Round 2, I'll post that up in the next few days, with an October finish date giving plenty of time!

@Lefty 's Zine (small book!) arrived today completing the set, very nice and I like the ticker cover, may have to pinch that for next time.

Thanks to all who took part, and to those sitting on the sidelines, hope you can take part in Round 2, I'll post that up in the next few days, with an October finish date giving plenty of time!

Excellent - glad to hear it arrived safe and sound :)

Yes, the quality of the cover when I received it was a pleasant surprise. It does add a fair bit to the price but is worth it IMHO.

I shall certainly be taking part in round 2.

My copy of Lefty's zine arrived this morning. Wow - what a gorgeous set of pictures - and it is indeed more like a small book !! The image on page 15 ( the cluster of trees at the bottom of the brook cascading down the hillside) is sublime. I like the format as well - I'm going to explore different sizes and layouts more fully next time.

Both the zines I've received are things to treasure. I'm really looking forward to the next round. I like using final products like this as a starting point for some new work and am already thinking through some ideas to start exploring.

My copy of Lefty's zine arrived this morning. Wow - what a gorgeous set of pictures - and it is indeed more like a small book !! The image on page 15 ( the cluster of trees at the bottom of the brook cascading down the hillside) is sublime. I like the format as well - I'm going to explore different sizes and layouts more fully next time.

Both the zines I've received are things to treasure. I'm really looking forward to the next round. I like using final products like this as a starting point for some new work and am already thinking through some ideas to start exploring.

Excellent! Glad to hear it arrived safe and sound (and thank you for the kind words :) )

That's Warnscale Bottom at the south end of Buttermere. Probably one of my favourite places on the planet.

50109007916_6a8a479405_b.jpg

I now have all three Zines in front of me, and truly wonderful things they are. I shall certainly treasure these, thank you so much. They really are superb!

I now have all three Zines in front of me, and truly wonderful things they are. I shall certainly treasure these, thank you so much. They really are superb!

Excellent :) Definitely one of the most exciting things I've done with my photography. Thanks again to @Mr Perceptive for organising.

Amar

Tony, our pleasure, you’ll get another set in October when round 2 has finished!!

Superb, this is such a cool project!

PS We should maybe think of a combined ‘best of the photo room’ coffee table book at some point in the future, kind of the book equivalent of a self-financed indie compilation album. I was heavily involved in one of those back in the ‘80s (link)! Basically we costed it (pressing, labels, cover etc), then each band paid their cut to get it made, provided their master tape, and IIRC got a few copies to sell/give away. No one made any money out of it, but it was a good promo tool and fun to make. I can see a similar model working here, though I’ve zero knowledge of printing/publishing.

It's a pleasure. Thank you - without this site and your decision to set up a photo room I'd not have had the chance to get involved with this. It's been hugely enjoyable to be part if.

I think a photoroom book would be a great idea. Following the zine, and now that I have a bit more time on my hands, I definitely want to get more involved in that room. Having had a recent trawl through the back pages I'm astonished by the range and quality of the images that have been produced.

advertisement

Back