advertisement

The PFM Produce and Share a Zine

@Lefty All you are getting from me:-

EvLE1dH.jpg

They both look amazing, even from the "flash of ankle" teaser. I can't wait to see them in person.

Mine is a bit more "Sniffing Glue" and decidedly lo fi, as I'm very much feeling my way into the format.

Next time I'm definitely going down the colour route.

Kevin

They both look amazing, even from the "flash of ankle" teaser. I can't wait to see them in person.

Mine is a bit more "Sniffing Glue" and decidedly lo fi, as I'm very much feeling my way into the format.

Kevin

lo-fi is good, its what zines are about, I'm just about to receive one from a friend (in another exchange) where he has processed the images from film himself, scanned them, and printed and stapled his own zine at home.

Reactions: kjb

Kevin

Agree with David - lo-fi is good. In fact, I'd argue it's part of the aesthetic of a zine.

Could you PM me your address and I'll get a copy in the post to you as part of the exchange :)

Kevin, just received your Zine - brilliant, well executed and certainly not lo-fi

Thanks for taking part, and hopefully you and others will take part in Round 2

David,

likewise yours arrived today - what a lovely book. The pictures, concept and sequencing are fabulous: it works beautifully as a whole.

Thank you!

And thanks again for initiating this. It's been great fun to do and I'm looking forward to the next one.

The post has just arrived bearing a copy of @Mr Perceptive and @kjb zines :) Wow, genuinely floored by the quality of both your work and ideas.

David - It's lovely to see your idea come to fruition and how you turned a negative (the broken ankle) into a positive. The consistency of the images in terms of style is seriously impressive and something I'll be looking to get better at for my next Zine.

Kevin - Again, it's wonderful to see someone turn a negative (COVID-19 lockdown) into a positive. I think black and white works really well and suits the subject matter too.

Thanks chaps and I will certainly be taking part in the next iteration of this :)

Amar

The post has just arrived bearing a copy of @Mr Perceptive and @kjb zines :) Wow, genuinely floored by the quality of both your work and ideas.

David - It's lovely to see your idea come to fruition and how you turned a negative (the broken ankle) into a positive. The consistency of the images in terms of style is seriously impressive and something I'll be looking to get better at for my next Zine.

Kevin - Again, it's wonderful to see someone turn a negative (COVID-19 lockdown) into a positive. I think black and white works really well and suits the subject matter too.

Thanks chaps and I will certainly be taking part in the next iteration of this :)

Amar

David,

likewise yours arrived today - what a lovely book. The pictures, concept and sequencing are fabulous: it works beautifully as a whole.

Thank you!

And thanks again for initiating this. It's been great fun to do and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Amar and Kevin, Thanks both for the kind words, as they say its been a pleasure (and a lot of fun - I'm already working on my next Zine!! - I will have to start a round 2 shortly, and lets hope we get some more entries)

Amar, as I got up at stupid o'clock this morning, I thought why not turn my Zine into a video, so a crash course on Adobe Premiere and here it is, all 1m12s of it!!

Sorry - I sort of fell out of this thread by 'accident'. I've done a couple of zines now using blurb, but for one or two copies the P&P is pretty rapacious! Our mono group did a bulk order for our first zine, and so the cost per copy was very small. Due to lockdown we couldn't do that so we each bought our own which made each one a four times es expensive. Is there anyone else I should be looking at for printing at a good price on a small run.

Sorry - I sort of fell out of this thread by 'accident'. I've done a couple of zines now using blurb, but for one or two copies the P&P is pretty rapacious! Our mono group did a bulk order for our first zine, and so the cost per copy was very small. Due to lockdown we couldn't do that so we each bought our own which made each one a four times es expensive. Is there anyone else I should be looking at for printing at a good price on a small run.

I used Mixam for this zine https://mixam.co.uk/ and doxdirect https://www.doxdirect.com/ for the last one.

If you only need 1 or 2 copies and your zine is A4 or A5 and up to 16 pages long you can get a test zine from Mixam which gives you two zines for £1.80 - you can only do this every month or so! https://mixam.co.uk/freetest

Mixam is cheaper for colour, and often you can increase the quantity without increasing teh price, ie 10 zines might only cost the same as 5 zines.

Hopefully you will join us for round 2 :)

Amar and Kevin, Thanks both for the kind words, as they say its been a pleasure (and a lot of fun - I'm already working on my next Zine!! - I will have to start a round 2 shortly, and lets hope we get some more entries)

Amar, as I got up at stupid o'clock this morning, I thought why not turn my Zine into a video, so a crash course on Adobe Premiere and here it is, all 1m12s of it!!

Great idea! Might have to give it a go myself :D

Great idea! Might have to give it a go myself :D

Premiere works in RGB not CMYK, so I exported the images from Affinity as JPG's setting them to 1280px wide, sRGB, then imported the pages into Photoshop and increased Canvas size to match. - If that helps!

advertisement

Back