advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I got a Seiko 5 on a NATO-style strap last year. The dye in the strap seems to run when it gets wet. I first noticed blue smudges on some clothing and assumed I'd had a small Biro mishap, but it happened again, and I stated to notice a distinct pattern to the smudge which resembled the stitching on the strap. Sure enough, when I get it wet, it runs. Is this normal for NATO straps, especially Seiko OEM straps? I have to say, it is unexpected.

Watch is a gift, so I don't know where it came from but probably Amazon (or an Amazon Marketplace seller). It's also not expensive, so seems unlikely to be a counterfeit. The box and papers seem convincing enough.

yup...and a bit of clever product limiting by Rolex ofc. Like diamonds, you can have too many.
I liked my Explorer mark1, but it was a terrible timekeeper, even after Rolex had it back to adjust it. 10 mins a week if I was lucky. Hate to be the mariner relying on that to plot a course across an ocean...America? Nah mate, you missed it, it's over there... :)

I wear the Red Sub more than the DRSD, in fact I just got a new bracelet for it from StrapCode

That is a really nice watch. The small crown and faded bezel create a quite different aesthetic to the more common Subs.
(Wish my own bezel would get the anger out and fade a bit more than it has managed to do over the last 20 years :) )

I only just picked this a week or two ago and love it Its a Seiko SPDC063 I love the dial plus its running at 1 sec a day which is super impressive

Very nice that Bazza. Good to see that Seiko's legendary lume is living up to expectation. I nearly bought a Samurai the other week but went for a Citizen eco-drive "grab and go" instead, accuracy is reported to be 15s per month.

50021679063_25ec487abc.jpg

Very nice that Bazza. Good to see that Seiko's legendary lume is living up to expectation. I nearly bought a Samurai the other week but went for a Citizen eco-drive "grab and go" instead, accuracy is reported to be 15s per month.

50021679063_25ec487abc.jpg
That's terrible timekeeping! Citizen seems to be covering its arse unnecessarily. Yours should be much better than that. I have an Eco Drive that keeps better time over a year.

I got a Seiko 5 on a NATO-style strap last year. The dye in the strap seems to run when it gets wet. I first noticed blue smudges on some clothing and assumed I'd had a small Biro mishap, but it happened again, and I stated to notice a distinct pattern to the smudge which resembled the stitching on the strap. Sure enough, when I get it wet, it runs. Is this normal for NATO straps, especially Seiko OEM straps? I have to say, it is unexpected.

Watch is a gift, so I don't know where it came from but probably Amazon (or an Amazon Marketplace seller). It's also not expensive, so seems unlikely to be a counterfeit. The box and papers seem convincing enough.
This is most odd. NATO straps are nylon with synthetic dyes, they are not water soluble. I have had one for years on a Seiko, I replaced it with a leather one when I got bored. Nylon watch straps are a bit Action Man for my taste, but the whole point is that they are weatherproof and water resistant. Mine's an SNK 805, I wear it every day even though I have "better" watches.

I've been wearing Natos on all my watches for well over 10 years without issue. Maratac are very durable, but last time I looked, shipping costs from the States were prohibitive. I've found Watchgecko Zuludiver straps to be good quality and great customer service (and local to me).

This is most odd. NATO straps are nylon with synthetic dyes, they are not water soluble. I have had one for years on a Seiko, I replaced it with a leather one when I got bored. Nylon watch straps are a bit Action Man for my taste, but the whole point is that they are weatherproof and water resistant. Mine's an SNK 805, I wear it every day even though I have "better" watches.
Yes, that was my thinking. It's this one, so not a true NATO strap, I guess:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Automatic-Analogue-Display-Fabric/dp/B006CHML4I/ref=sr_1_8?crid=CU2EFSFQ5S57&dchild=1&keywords=seiko+5+automatic+watch&qid=1594201511&sprefix=seiko+5,aps,171&sr=8-8

Maybe I'll look for a suitable NATO replacement strap.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's the blue version of the one I have in olive green. As you say it's not actually a NATO strap, it's just a nylon strap. IIRC it also has a leather (type) strip on it, over time this wears out and I removed it. A NATO strap is actually designed such that if one of the pins fails you don't drop your watch. The one you have doesn't to this, on mine I have had a pin fall out while I was cycling and the thing fell off.

As a gentleman with a modest-sized wrist, I only were nato straps that 27mm in length - the Zuludivers are 30cm and come with too much strap to fold back neatly.

My go-to nato suppliers are RedRoosterUK and UKWatchStrap - both offer top quality nato straps at an affordable price that's (probably) impossible to beat for value for money.

CW don't get a lot of love. A lot of it is down to snobbery, however I think if there is a fair criticism it's that they have no resale value once used, unlike the other brands. That said, I don't buy the "never lose money on a Rolex" routine . A friend of mine has, about 4 or 5 years ago he bought a Sub, cost about 5k or so. Kept it in a safe and wore it on special occasions. Fancied a fancier one, so traded it in with the dealer. Ouch. I think he got about £1500 back, and had to take out another finance deal for the new one. Hardly never losing money.
He really was done! If he’d sold it private then he’d have received at least what he paid for it providing it came with all papers, accessories and box. He hasn’t done his due diligence.
In hifi terms he bought a black ittock for £500. Didn’t use it and then traded it in for £150! Not likely. Even a non-authorised dealer would have given him £5000 now.
I think he may have told you porkies.

He really was done! If he’d sold it private then he’d have received at least what he paid for it providing it came with all papers, accessories and box. He hasn’t done his due diligence.
In hifi terms he bought a black ittock for £500. Didn’t use it and then traded it in for £150! Not likely. Even a non-authorised dealer would have given him £5000 now.
I think he may have told you porkies.
Nope. No porkies. He is rather fed up about it, as well he should be.

I’m sure he’s fed up. However, I think he needs to look at himself! So he never thought about popping into a Second hand watch dealer and asking how much they would give him, looking on eBay or a watch forum? If it was a 5 year old Sub he’d get £5k on here easy. I could have sold it in 5 minutes to one of 4 friends or even bought it and kept it myself. No way is a 5 year old sub worth £1.5K. Was it an AD?

advertisement

Back