advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Interesting chat about ride position and hand (dis)comfort. I'll be on my bike tomorrow and will give it some thought.

Road bike, tubeless, CO2 inflation kit, emergency inner tube, then what?

Do you take a mini pump on longer rides just in case? Do you go commando and not bother with anything? Tubeless repair kit?

Just trying to get my head around what I need.
Don’t forget to deflate and re-inflate after using CO2, the tyre has a habit of losing pressure.
The only other tool would be a multi purpose one with a chain splitter if you have the room.
I use a Leyzene tool caddy in the rear bottle cage for most of my rides as it’s tidier than saddle mounted bag. Also it’s waterproof and instant to switch between bikes.

A chain splitter has saved me on a couple of rides over the years. Highly recommended for the post chain failure experience, legs flying around, no forward motion and lying in the road, all in 3 seconds... best enjoyed whilst climbing of course..

Some very well thought out ‘improvements’ for cyclists in Ipswich tweeted this morning. I’d rather see a few more pot holes repaired.

IMG_5519.JPG

78F057D8_F0C1_4601_8FE5_A5387B7FB495_IMG_5517.JPG

Road bike, tubeless, CO2 inflation kit, emergency inner tube, then what?

Do you take a mini pump on longer rides just in case? Do you go commando and not bother with anything? Tubeless repair kit?

Just trying to get my head around what I need.

I've got a CO2 inflator but have never actually used it. Each of my road bikes has a mini pump attached to the bottle cage and a seatpost pack containing a couple of spare inner tubes, a puncture repair outfit, tyre levers, a mini tool (which has a chain breaker), a couple of chain split links as well as a small chain and lock.

I've got tubeless compatible wheels but haven't felt a need to go tubeless yet - it's a bit of a "solution without a problem" for me.

I've got tubeless compatible wheels but haven't felt a need to go tubeless yet - it's a bit of a "solution without a problem" for me.

Riding my mtb on the road when Covid struck I was getting punctures too often, so when I decided to buy a road bike, it was an easy decision for me to ask the shop to turn it tubeless.

Riding my mtb on the road when Covid struck I was getting punctures too often, so when I decided to buy a road bike, it was an easy decision for me to ask the shop to turn it tubeless.

If you live somewhere where thorns or the like are common then it's a no-brainer as tubeless will be a big improvement. Where I live it's not a factor so punctures are thankfully fairly rare (of course saying that pretty much ensures I'll get one next time I'm out) so I'm happy to stick to tubes as I don't really want the other hassles associated with tubeless. Even if I did go tubeless I'd carry the same kit with me (spare tubes etc.) anyway.

I had a nice trundle round the Pentlands on the Enduro tonight. No wind which was nice, however that meant lots of midges - which was less nice!

170854943.2SYoWSwY.swe205.jpg

I think you said higher up the thread Steve, just remind us where you live please, it looks a lovely area

Reactions: bor
I think you said higher up the thread Steve, just remind us where you live please, it looks a lovely area

I am exceptionally fortunate to live in Balerno, which is on the very edge of Edinburgh as well as being the best access point for the Pentland Hills. It's about a mile or so of climbing (which can be done off-road as I did tonight) to get into the hills from my door, and there are then loads of routes. Can't complain!

Interesting chat about ride position and hand (dis)comfort. I'll be on my bike tomorrow and will give it some thought.

On my single-speed, I was definitely leaning into the handlebars a tad more than I'd say was ideal based on what the guy says in the video. I noticed that I kept sliding forwards in the saddle by about an inch. I can't say what all the variables are but here's some: I was carrying a backpack, my core strength isn't anywhere near pro-level and I haven't made any adjustments to the saddle angle or horizontal placing. It might well have been okay without the backpack but I think I need to faff about with the saddle to see if I can stop myself from sliding forwards.

I am exceptionally fortunate to live in Balerno, which is on the very edge of Edinburgh as well as being the best access point for the Pentland Hills. It's about a mile or so of climbing (which can be done off-road as I did tonight) to get into the hills from my door, and there are then loads of routes. Can't complain!

Thanks Steve, will have a look up on maps, very nice indeed

advertisement

Back