advertisement

Harbeth XD - What's The Difference

Likely better to frame any buying decision within context of pricing/ availability of preferred finish.

Anniversary models are limited editions. Last few with select dealers - they're no longer being produced. The only line now is the XD.

Likely better to frame any buying decision within context of pricing/ availability of preferred finish.

Anniversary models are limited editions. Last few with select dealers - they're no longer being produced. The only line now is the XD.
Well, exactly, then there seems to be a new cheaper line to replace the best versions of the same speakers that Harbeth could come up with, not really new models, let alone arrogantly called extended definition. If so, disappointing to say the least.

Well, exactly, then there seems to be a new cheaper line to replace the best versions of the same speakers that Harbeth could come up with, not really new models, let alone arrogantly called extended definition. If so, disappointing to say the least.

It's marketing, product life-cycles etc. And it depends how much stock you put in wiring and snazzy capacitors etc. What's undoubtedly disappointing for any prospective buyer is the price increase.

No, the XD range will be, as annies no longer available new, only ever intended to be a limited edition and in view of this, will be much sort after on used market.
Mine will be up for sale in about a month.
Mac

Unfortunately HUG is a sad and quite depressing place.
It is. The fact that you need to create a username and log in just to view the contents on the forum just shows that they practice iron-fist control over everything on their own forum.

No, the XD range will be, as annies no longer available new, only ever intended to be a limited edition and in view of this, will be much sort after on used market.
Mine will be up for sale in about a month.
Mac
Used Anniversaries and older models of the Harbeth would be great value. If the XD is just marketing and exactly the same as the Anniversaries with omission of fancy WBT plugs, wiring and plates, it's overpriced at their new prices IMO. I'm done with Harbeth. Their regular models are the best value. There are many other better speaker options out there and it's wise to consider the competition before plunking the money down for the XDs.

I always admired Harbeth for not getting on the ‘new capacitors/new connectors/etc.’ bandwagon.
Just producing competent loudspeakers always made sense to me.
Was it/is it marketing taking over from good engineering ?
( I’ve always avoided speakers with trendy terminals and the like )
My P3-ESRs just did the job.
What else do you want from a pair of speakers ?

I always admired Harbeth for not getting on the ‘new capacitors/new connectors/etc.’ bandwagon.
Just producing competent loudspeakers always made sense to me.
Was it/is it marketing taking over from good engineering ?

I think it's just accommodating market demands, and they are in business after all. I daresay it's the few who seek out the no frills approach.

It is. The fact that you need to create a username and log in just to view the contents on the forum just shows that they practice iron-fist control over everything on their own forum.

There seem to be quite a lot of brainwash victims among Harbeth followers.

They are not alone on that subject
Many stories about brainwash during time, ranging from few selected to millions.

Latest example here with AW from Onix are trying his wordsalat in a strange matter perhaps he himself is the most brainwashed.

AS from Harbeth seem to be more intelligent and sure he will have success among his disciples with new higher priced range.

Yes, so true. Then you get in there and can find no genuine information, only a group of, yes, disciples prepared to agree to anything in exchange of desperately seeking and hoping for any nod of approval from the Master who masks a priest/marketing job behind science slogans and is full of fear and insecurities in full range to plain rudeness (to his actual customers!). He has been able to maintain and produce the excellent BBC designs for some time, so this is a good thing but it looks like others will be more likely to make any real next step in innovation.

....Was it/is it marketing taking over from good engineering ?
Well, that's actually what they've done over the years pretty much from what I can see? Since you mention, let's take their P3ESR SE (i.e. next model then to the P3ESR) - it had a big inscription on the back saying something like "studio grade OFC" or very similar I believe - to justify a "new" model? Then came the capacitors, connectors and veneers. Not that good quality capacitors and connectors do not make sense, this is what they should be in the first place at their prices in the premium market. I don't disagree that a good pair of speakers is a good pair of speakers, but to the ill-disguised hypocrisy with customers now telling them that the better capacitors and connectors thing was just a bling (really? thank you for believing and buying!), and after selling them to the world as the pinnacle of innovation a few weeks ago.

You have a point, to a certain extent.
My concern is sensible ( read better ) components are often followed by the snake-oil types.

The audio world is full of rubbish about components.
Hopefully Alan Shaw can keep away from this when designing and selling his speakers.

I bought a pair of P3 Anniversary editions because they sounded great to me. I would of bought the Falcon version but not when they wanted around £800 to £900 for the stands to go with them. I think most manufactures take the wet with at least some of their range.

Mike

You have a point, to a certain extent.
My concern is sensible ( read better ) components are often followed by the snake-oil types.

The audio world is full of rubbish about components.
Hopefully Alan Shaw can keep away from this when designing and selling his speakers.

Didn't AS actually post on the HUG saying that the bells and whistles on the AE speakers were cosmetic more than anything, and for celebration/collectors more than SQ?

I'm sure I remember reading him saying that some time ago. It struck me when he then posted later on to say he had to admit they'd been very successful that perhaps he was becoming a convert to marketing incentives.

Perhaps I'm misremembering.

Yeah, free speech seem to be a problem for some forum administrators

sad but true.

Another forum says it “allows” discussion of other companies’ products, except for any “unapproved” way of actually making the equipment sound better for less. ;)

I’ve emailed privately about why, and the response has basically been “because.”

I bought a pair of P3 Anniversary editions because they sounded great to me. I would of bought the Falcon version but not when they wanted around £800 to £900 for the stands to go with them. I think most manufactures take the wet with at least some of their range.

Mike

Sorry thought you wrote £800-£900 for a pair of speakers for a minute.
:eek:

Makes the ProAc Tablette 10 and other similar priced/ designed speakers decent VFM.

Sorry thought you wrote £800-£900 for a pair of speakers for a minute.
:eek:

Makes the ProAc Tablette 10 and other similar priced/ designed speakers decent VFM.

I listened to loads of different speakers including ProAc /ATC/PMC and some costing 3 times the price of the Harbeths but always came back to the P3's . Everybody is different and will have an opinion on a certain speaker but if you like the sound then there is a good chance you will buy it funds allowing.

advertisement

Back