advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

A few additional lockdown pounds plus less running, multiplied by trying to do to much too soon equals achilles tendinitis.

Bugger.

Yes mate, both Achilles, stiff and inflamed, especially first thing in the am. I’ve previously had Lower calf trouble and had corrective surgery on tendons in one ankle Related to that. Need to start more slowly when it dies down and somehow find softer surfaces to run on for a bit.

Achilles are a sod to sort out Spiderous so much sympathy, often a result of tight calf muscles. Slowly rubbing an ice pack or bag of ice cubes up & down the achilles does sooth them and reduces inflammation.

I never thought I'd enjoy running in summer rain, but there you go. I never thought I'd get lost on one of my normal running routes but I wasn't paying attention and my glasses were pretty smeared, at least that's my excuse anyway. Went out for about 12k, did 16.87 - very pleased, my first 10 miler. Jelly legs afterwards though!

Bugger, Achilles are hard work to shift. MJS it rained really hard for five minutes whilst I was out yesterday, it was bliss. Then the sun came out and it was humid like a humid thing. Nice whilst it lasted though!

Decided to do my first double-digit run since March yesterday as the pain from my gammy leg has eased in recent times. 10.5 muggy miles around a few breezy country lanes, a 10 minute soaking here too. Very pleased to get it done without too much discomfort. Today's strong wind has been physically blowing stuff around so I wussed out & did 5m on the treadie.

MJS.. congrats on your first 10m+. Great confidence booster.

Made it - 5 runs, 31.5 miles total, longest 13.35 miles in 1:56, which is about 8:45 pace. The last mile or so of the long one was a bit hard, turned back into headwind, slight up hill, legs fairly tired.

Now to try to repeat this week

Reactions: MJS
Finally managed to heave my aging carcass round 5k with no stopping. Deliberately left the watch at home so I could take it as easy as need be. Probably also helped having not run for a week due to playing too much golf. :) Onwards!

Last edited:
Finally managed to heave my aging carcass round 5k with no stopping. Deliberately left the watch at home so I could take it as easy as need be. Probably also helped having not run for a week due to playing too much golf. :) Onwards!

Good show! That is a real milestone.

Managed a second week of increased running, more or less as scheduled. 34.5 miles total, longest run 13.5 in 2:01, which is more or less 9 minute mile pace. Windier than last week, and more hills, so slower pace not too worrying. Did 10K(ish) loop in 48:35 yesterday, despite heavy legs and an unhelpful breeze. Slowly working back to normal running. Probably slightly step up mileage again next week. Aim is to get long runs up in to the high teens - that is where you start to get the big endurance gains.

Ran a local 5k course with a friend yesterday in 20:30 which I’m happy with as my legs were still sore from a bike time trial earlier in the week. I must try to up my running mileage from a woeful 5 ish miles a week that it’s been stuck at since February. (Have been cycling though and the 5 miles a week is at 5k pace so hopefully keeping me healthy.)

A nice summer evening 10k tonight. Not the greatest of efforts but I have a sneaky feeling these will be my new normal for a while, much like the 5ks were formerly.

Intermittent showers this morning but 'got on with it' as more persistent rain was forecast for the afternoon. A bit chilly @ 13 degrees so donned t-shirt, shorts & gilet which was about right - 7.5 miles done and got pleasantly damp.
Shoe moan.. for years I've been wearing variants of the New Balance Zante - I've run everything from Park Run to marathons in them and must have owned about 6-7 pairs. They recently brought out the Tempo as a grandly announced replacement so I ordered a pair. They lasted about 0.5m on the treadmill at which point I stopped and re-packed them. They are NOTHING LIKE a Zante, bulky & unresponsive. They have gone back today - note to NB .. if it ain't broke don't try to fix it!

IanG.. well done sire, all progress is to be applauded.

Fourth week of 5 days a week, just over 30 miles. In that odd state where my legs are so tired that I can't get out of breath, but just get limited by leaden, unresponsive lumps of flab.

I will have a recovery week this week, and see if I perk up a bit.

Fourth week of 5 days a week, just over 30 miles. In that odd state where my legs are so tired that I can't get out of breath, but just get limited by leaden, unresponsive lumps of flab.

I will have a recovery week this week, and see if I perk up a bit.

I so know that feeling, it’s always my legs that give out on me!

When I'm in marathon training mode I tend to churn out out 50-70 mpw with a drop down 40-45mpw every few weeks to give me a 'rest' o_O. After running for 30+ years I think I've battered my old bones & muscles into submission so I am used to the heavy mileage after running marathons for so long. I find I get injured less doing almost daily consistent runs than stop/start training programs, you tend to get used to it as the body adapts. I'm currently easing back into it as my nerve niggle slowly improves so keeping a lid on it for now. I managed a pain free 11.3m last weekend which was promising.
7m yesterday, a bit cool & drizzly for July but a nice running temperature. The next few days look warm so enjoy the sunny runs if you get chance.

advertisement

Back