advertisement

Please God MAKE IT STOP... more perils of hellhound ownership

Further chaos this morning... he's decided the box of stands unique fittings - with all the components neatly sorted into plastic bags - is a source of amusement. I've lost a lot of fittings...

Oh, and my debit card - only replaced a couple of days ago - has been munched. To get this, he's opened my wallet, ignored the phone, and somehow pulled out a single card. I just don't know what is going on in this thing's head.

You sure it's not a spaniel that you have?:D

Mine's 25kg and eats like a horse, roughly 1300 calories a day, a lot of poos:D

His energy levels are unreal.

1.2kg of complete working dog wet food, mixed with Eukanuba puppy food - usually about 1.8kg a day of food. Supplemented with salmon oil, plus glucosamine/mitochondritin supplement for joint development. When he's coming up to a growth spurt those quantities will (at peak) double - we feed to appetite, I wish I could get some more weight on him as he seems skinny at the moment. He shits like a cart-horse.

I don’t think I could cope with a spaniel, esp a Springer. Too much energy!

You get used to it, this morning it was a two and a half hour walk or more accurately and hour walk and an hour and a half swim.

Typically it's an hour and half walk/swim in the morning and an hour walk/swim in the evening.

He's been sleeping for about an hour now and will not waken up until at least five pm then he's out at seven pm and fed at eight when he gets home and sleeping by about half nine.

During lockdown I've only done the morning walks my daughter's partner does the evening walk and lately both of them now do it together.

1.2kg of complete working dog wet food, mixed with Eukanuba puppy food - usually about 1.8kg a day of food. Supplemented with salmon oil, plus glucosamine/mitochondritin supplement for joint development. When he's coming up to a growth spurt those quantities will (at peak) double - we feed to appetite, I wish I could get some more weight on him as he seems skinny at the moment. He shits like a cart-horse.

That's a lot of food does he burn up the calories?

Mine get's approximately 600g of wet dog food and about 200/250 dry dog food plus sweet potato and one joint supplement per day (he's got some arthritis in his left leg), treats and some scraps/leftovers.

That's a lot of food does he burn up the calories?

Mine get's approximately 600g of wet dog food and about 200/250 dry dog food plus sweet potato and one joint supplement per day (he's got some arthritis in his left leg), treats and some scraps/leftovers.

Ohhh yes - when he's not a limpy puppy he's on 3 walks a day and lots of playing, but most of it goes into growing. He's still on 2 meals a day, when his appetite shows signs of slowing down permanently I'll look at moving him to one meal a day. Although the daily morning ritual of a piece of wholemeal toast may have to stay. He's still showing puppy sleep patterns, very much active/crash/repeat.

Aaaaand..... soddit.

I have decided to cheer myself up - time to pull the trigger and buy that Helios CD player. The dog has learned that the rack is a sacred area, to be approached with caution, and not to be abused, so it probably won't get chewed :)

It'll mean selling my Primare V25, but I have that and a whole heck of a lump of other stuff to sell as well. Eh. One box in, two boxes out is reasonable ;)

On chewy things, my son's rottweiler wasn't able to destroy a 12" length of 2" diameter nylon rod I had for making motorbike crash bungs. Quite a few tooth holes in it though.

I'm pleased to report a rapid improvement in the teeth department today - it would appear we're now waiting for the LAST adult tooth to emerge from his gums now! I know he's from a slow-maturing strain, but JESUS H CHRIST it's coming up for a year after the supposed-to-happen end of teething. I've developed a little anxiety - the cables I'm buying are cord-wrapped, and look a little like some of his chewy ropes... As do the speaker cables I hope to eventually be able to buy (currently making do with what's in the odds and sods box until I can afford custom lengths of better stuff).

I'm an early riser anyway, so it doesn't worry me, and, in fact, the tables turn when the dog hits middle age.

Oh, they'll still take the walk, but the brief resentful look before they charge out the door pulling their owner behind says it all.

I've developed a little anxiety - the cables I'm buying are cord-wrapped, and look a little like some of his chewy ropes... As do the speaker cables I hope to eventually be able to buy (currently making do with what's in the odds and sods box until I can afford custom lengths of better stuff).
iu

My dog has strained the muscles in his neck somehow so the vet has told us not to walk him for a week! A week - with no walkies - not sure who's more upset, him or me.

advertisement

Back