advertisement

Edward Colston: Bristol slave trader statue 'was an affront'

Anyone catch David Starkey letting it all hang out:

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/status/1278636923330928642

A regular guest on Newsnight, Question Time and so on, which tells you a lot about how the media has normalised far-right ideas (see also Mad Mel on the Moral Maze, despite regular attacks on "cultural Marxism" and ethnic minorities in The Times).

Note the presence of nodding dog Darren Grimes lapping up his master's vomit.

Last edited:
He also hates Scots the guy is a complete bigot.

That and all the fawning over serial-killing royalty, the dictatorship of monarchy etc. He’s the worst type of revisionist historian IMHO. Painting pretty pictures of butchers and psychopaths.

PS In fairness I’ve never gone near one of his books, nor would I ever want to, I’m basing my opinion on his endless public prickery and elitist trolling.

That and all the fawning over serial-killing royalty, the dictatorship of monarchy etc. He’s the worst type of revisionist historian IMHO. Painting pretty pictures of butchers and psychopaths.

PS In fairness I’ve never gone near one of his books, nor would I ever want to, I’m basing my opinion on his endless public prickery and elitist trolling.

His wiki is interesting though a first class degree from Cambridge and he had polio, two club feet and a nervous breakdown at thirteen and he was brought up as a Quaker.

Why do Quakers hate Scots?

on a related note I watched that documentary about Glastonbury last weekend and that Micheal Eavis, another Quaker, came across as a right dick.
Why do you say that? I saw the same and don't remember anything dickish about him.

Poorer Brits paying off richer Brits for 183 years. I hope Brexit damage doesn't last that long..

It includes the descendents of slaves paying compensation to former slave owners through tax to HMRC. This is twisted and sick. I'd expect nothing less from what was called the British gentry.

Jack

Who paid it what willingly?

Eavis owed about 50 hippies £10 each for work they’d done for him and he tried to bump them for the cash.

I tought you were talking about the (ex)hippies that but the tickets @ £stupid to pretend it's 1983 again every year.

I tought you were talking about the (ex)hippies that but the tickets @ £stupid to pretend it's 1983 again every year.

After thatcher's government cracked down on travellers Eavis allowed about 50 of them to set up a camp in one of his fields but it looked to me a cynical stunt, as in keep the hippies happy re customers, but he eventually got rid of them cause he wanted to go in a different direction punter wise but beofer that those guys were doing work for him and he said that he had fed them and allowed then to stay and that he didn't have £500 cash to pay them but one of the guys called him out saying that Eavis had made a fortune and that he wanted what was owed for the group which was a tenner each then Eavis went into his kitchen and pulled the £500 out of his pocket and gave it the guy.

I approve!

PS FWIW I’m really pleased it was done by such a well established and widely respected contemporary artist as that will hopefully make it a little harder to remove or destroy, though I am sure the Yaxley Lennons, Farages etc will be out en masse. It is a very, very good statue too, as one would expect from Quinn.

Excellent, art doing what it does best, being subversive.

Marc Quinn himself wasn't actually there, I gather. He was probably resting at his pad in Mustique.

C4 News have just run a feature on the statue of Jen Reid, they were in on it from the start so have footage of the whole process, the installation, interviews with Jen, Marc Quinn etc. Essential viewing IMO. I absolutely love this work and I hope it survives long enough that I can get to see it one day.

advertisement

Back