advertisement

Speeding Offences

Every time the CTR went into service they put 40 psi into the tyres. I hurt my back and internals (age 60+) and I reverted to 35/32 too:)
My missus said when I was going for my third one, why don't you buy one that has suspension? 60+ here too..

My daughter finally fessed up.

Her motorway speeding adventure. (first offence officer )

90 mph on the M1. She got 3 points and a £100 fine.

We all think she got lucky. I have told her that the next time she will get shafted.

Her car passed its MOT yesterday, so we cracked a bottle of champagne. A minor miracle.

My daughter finally fessed up.

Her motorway speeding adventure. (first offence officer )

90 mph on the M1. She got 3 points and a £100 fine.

We all think she got lucky. I have told her that the next time she will get shafted.

Her car passed its MOT yesterday, so we cracked a bottle of champagne. A minor miracle.

Wow - that seems to me to be very fair. 20mph above the limit in my day got you a summons to court(mitigating circumstances considered).

I think she was fortunate - won't help her insurance though.

I'm glad I wasn't on the road when this driver went down the A23 - makes 90mph a bit trivial

A9B2B4D9_1716_4973_9E03_8250B72AE091_IMG_5442.JPG

Where is this from? It seems a bit arbitrary to apply 10mph bands. The significance of 41-51 in a 30 zone is far greater than 81-91 on a motorway, for example.

Do a search. Wherever you look, that’s how it is.

The trouble is, you can over-complicate the whole issue of the punishment suiting the offence, but in the end, you can’t complain if you get done. And usually the speed that a court is told about is lower that the speed recorded by the traffic police.

There's only ever one motoring / riding offence and that is recklessness, not caring at all about the possible effect you could have on other people. The problem is, you can't measure recklessness. Doing 120MPH on an empty motorway in a car capable of much higher speeds, well maintained etc. with an alert driver is less reckless than doing 15MPH outside the school gates at kiddie chucking out time while turning around to chastise a child in the back seat. It is less reckless than doing 70 MPH with your mind out of gear listening to the radio, day dreaming. So you don't see the caravan starting to lose control in a gust of wind until it swerves out of it's lane, you panic and jump on the anchors and 5 cars behind you doing exactly the same thing, too close, pile into the back of you.

Speed alone is a lazy way of doing it. You have absolutely no right of appeal.

I was once doing a typical 35 MPH in a 30 zone past a line of parked cars outside some houses. A tiny child, can only have been walking for less than a month, came straight out in front of me. I jumped on the brakes and stopped about 5 feet short but if I'd been there no more than 2 seconds earlier I'd have had that kid's brains all over the front of the car.

Whenever I drive now I try to make sure that I PAY ATTENTION. I don't have the radio on, I don't talk to anyone, I try to concentrate on what's going on around me. You're in charge of a 1.5 ton piece of metal. Take it seriously.

This is about the only post I agree with and that doesn't make me cringe. Now't worse that a load of adenoidal "bet I can go slower than you can" holier than thou types when it comes to motoring!

The dangerous one's are usually the distracted or the elderly that find 58 on a motorway a real white knuckle ride that's taking all their remaining "skill" up to manage even that... and usually drift from one lane to another without looking in the mirror or indicating! Really good drivers/riders on fast well maintained vehicles doing 100 or more are not the problem by a long chalk! Unfortunately the genuinely inept that never go over 65 never get done!

Where is this from? It seems a bit arbitrary to apply 10mph bands. The significance of 41-51 in a 30 zone is far greater than 81-91 on a motorway, for example.

It does indeed sound stupid but does appear to be the case i.e. 20mph over the limit in a 30mph zone gets treated in a similar way to 20mph over the motorway speed limit.

This is about the only post I agree with and that doesn't make me cringe. Now't worse that a load of adenoidal "bet I can go slower than you can" holier than thou types when it comes to motoring!

The dangerous one's are usually the distracted or the elderly that find 58 on a motorway a real white knuckle ride that's taking all their remaining "skill" up to manage even that... and usually drift from one lane to another without looking in the mirror or indicating! Really good drivers/riders on fast well maintained vehicles doing 100 or more are not the problem by a long chalk! Unfortunately the genuinely inept that never go over 65 never get done!
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone breaking the speed limit was "a really good driver on a fast well maintained vehicle"? Sadly, they aren't.

Really? Is that the sum total of your considered opinion?

Look at the accident stats by age group, it is generally the young & stupid.

People who speed excessively on the motorway will have a strong cross over into the badly maintained/non insured category. The way people drive just reflects the type of person they are.

How many drivers are actually capable of driving at high speed safely?

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone breaking the speed limit was "a really good driver on a fast well maintained vehicle"? Sadly, they aren't.

Inappropriate speed is the problem. It is fine to go WAY over speed limits IMHO so long as conditions etc are good for it.
On a motorway and on my CBR1100XX I usually cruise around 95 - 100 and I'm therefore in the outside lane most of the time (i still get the odd few I have to pull into the middle lane to let past!), but this is in suitable conditions.
when there's rain I probably go down to 70 and in heavier rain maybe 55-60 if it's causing visibility problems. In fog etc I could be down to 40 or less if that's the safe speed... However there are always those (usually in BMW's) who keep at 90 in a pea souper or torrential downpour!

Inappropriate speed is the problem. It is fine to go WAY over speed limits IMHO so long as conditions etc are good for it.
On a motorway and on my CBR1100XX I usually cruise around 95 - 100 and I'm therefore in the outside lane most of the time (i still get the odd few I have to pull into the middle lane to let past!), but this is in suitable conditions.
when there's rain I probably go down to 70 and in heavier rain maybe 55-60 if it's causing visibility problems. In fog etc I could be down to 40 or less if that's the safe speed... However there are always those (usually in BMW's) who keep at 90 in a pea souper or torrential downpour!
You have just perfectly illustrated how personal judgement is flawed. Pretty much all your speed bands are excessive.

I would be doing 50-60 in a car in very heavy rain where there is a risk of aquaplaning. On a bike? Really?

Yes, you see this all the time.
I remember following a police van doing exactly this a few years ago; I followed it for about 10 miles, losing it through the 30 limits and catching back up with it in the 60 limits.
I spoke to a police rider (the rule may or may not be different for 4 wheels) once, and he told me that he didn't have to abide by the speed limit, even if not on a call. As he pointed out, stuck behind the same car (or whatever) for miles would not allow him to do his job of looking for offending motorists.

advertisement

Back