advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My flies are still living, I'm beginning to think that they're in the bottles and when the corks are drawn they come out or at least one of them does.

I've drunk red wine for about 45 years and it's only in the past year that I've noticed this issue and it's been relatively rare ie about maybe four times, most of the wine we buy, probably about 90% of it, is from Aldi.

I wonder if some of their red wine suppliers are a wee bit dodgy?

The wine last night was an Australian Merlot, 2018 I think without checking the bottle.
The wine must be very young then, or have been bottled very recently, if the flies are still living. Maybe up your budget to something older than a week or two, or at least cellar it for a month or so? Flies’ life span, according to Mr Google, is around 40-50 days...

I wouldn’t pay 5€ for a bottle of beer - you can get two Rochefort 10s for that!!

Well to be more accurate : you can, for now. For the less intrepid the UK price looks more like £4-5.
I don't mean to alarm you but this could be your post-Brexit future...

Well to be more accurate : you can, for now. For the less intrepid the UK price looks more like £4-5.
I don't mean to alarm you but this could be your post-Brexit future...
Yes, I’ve been investigating solutions for a while. In the meantime I will liberate a few cratefuls from Vanuxeem aka beer heaven in Belgium next week, now they have assured me they are open.

I've discovered that SA wines are about the same price in NZ as in the UK, so for a bit of variety I've got a few Chenin Blanc and Cinsault. Surely it is past time that SA started using more screwtops, especially on their whites.
Consulting with chef on tweaking the menu to suit.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Does it have to be 6 bottles of the same wine, or can I get a few cheapies and a couple of bottles of Krug at 25% off?

Thanks for the link! That’s some useful birthday presents bought!
It was last week..!

Thanks to @fama from me too. Six 2001 to add to the CT list. In fact five, I’ve decided one brave soldier will be laying down his life tonight. I’ll be asking for a volunteer shortly in a specious address, as soon as my ‘Build Build Build’ sign is finished.

PS don’t forget the rubbish corks on these 2001 Musars. I did, and it slid downwards as soon as I applied the corkscrew. It took a combination of Butler’s Friend (used conventionally and also jammed in at right angles and used as a lever) and teeth to pull it out. I couldn’t imagine the wine would be OK with such a loose-fitting cork, but it seems to be.

^ yes IIRC Musar recommend using a Butler's Friend for all their wines over 15 years old.
One of the few prices I remember from years ago is Penfolds St Henri when it was £25. Today it is down from £90 to £67.50 at Waitrose.... and Out of Stock !
Proof that the rich did indeed get richer, and of the impact of Chinese buyers on prices. £/A$ doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back